Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds like insurance question, but really is not.
Bicycle users are not legally bound to have insurance for when they ride in the street.
All articles so far concentrate on what to do, when cyclist was hurt BY A CAR.
Well, thing is, they do cause damage to vehicles also, at their fault.

And damage can be quite substantial and costly in repairs. Or, they can cause an accident, and I witnessed this many times, by taking turns right in front of moving traffic, cutting lanes, etc.

So exactly who pays in situation like this? By far, this is not bicycle rant. They are what they are, to each of its own. This is about pretty much untouched discussion, when a cyclist is cause of an accident and vehicle damage. They are as much humans, as drivers. We all do mistakes.

Sort of, should you have comprehensive, it goes on your insurance. But then you have a claim, deductible, points deducted, etc.
But if you were to have liability only? And clearly not at your fault? And you do happen to have cyclist available, as say his bike is damage and he can't escape? Or, simply is an honest person and stayed. What then? Court hearing? Say, windshield, grill, maybe a headlight - and on some makes, you are several thousand in repairs easy.

Stroke me this morning.... The thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 01:13 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
If the bicyclist is at fault and you have their information then you can always go to small claims court to sue for damages. Just make sure you have pictures and evidence to prove they are at fault.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Had this happen to my ex'es car. The cyclist, or their guardian, is legally responsible for the damages caused. You can sue them for damages, and they have to pay to correct what their child, or what they did. Its the same as if someone got caught vandalizing property, not only do they get the criminal mischief charges, they also have to pay for reparations to the damaged property. Yes, if you file it using your own insurance, you loose your deductible, and have that hicky on your policy. You shouldn't have any "points" if it was a parked car and someone hit it while riding a bike.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
If damages are significant it would likely turn into a claim against their personal liability insurance provided by a homeowner’s/renter’s/umbrella policy. But you don’t really care how they pay for it.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:04 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If damages are significant it would likely turn into a claim against their personal liability insurance provided by a homeowner’s/renter’s/umbrella policy. But you don’t really care how they pay for it.
Absolutely, some cyclists carry a rider on their home owners.

Here is a statement from an insurance institute commenting on the very subject.

"Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance will often pay for compensatory damage caused by the insured while participating in a covered occurrence. Sporting activities, such as bike riding, are usually considered covered occurrences. Compensatory damages are the actual costs to you caused by the accident, including repair costs, medical bills, and lost wages."

Old 08-10-2018, 03:58 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Why should the Bicycle Rider / Owner NOT be held 100% responsible?

Although rarely in traffic since I am only a couple blocks from the Bike Trail, I ride my Bicycle most every day. Sorry to say, I have witnessed some very arrogant, ignorant as well as extremely immature stunts by fellow Bike Riders that frequently makes me ashamed to admit I am a member of that group.

Just in case . . . I carry a Personal Liability Policy, however, I still respect and obey all the "rules of the road" when I do ride.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
That's what I thought.
Good responses. Thank you.

No, I was blessed so far but, spending over an hour twice a day in high bicycle traffic area, I witness - so does my dashcam - all kinds of situations.
I was curious as bicyclists here are considered same category of road users as automobiles, said to have same rights - but somehow less liability. As in - no LP and insurance requirement. I know in Europe, some states require LP for a bicycle, if it is used on a general traffic road.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Had this happen to my ex'es car. The cyclist, or their guardian, is legally responsible for the damages caused. You can sue them for damages, and they have to pay to correct what their child, or what they did. Its the same as if someone got caught vandalizing property, not only do they get the criminal mischief charges, they also have to pay for reparations to the damaged property. Yes, if you file it using your own insurance, you loose your deductible, and have that hicky on your policy. You shouldn't have any "points" if it was a parked car and someone hit it while riding a bike.
Can your auto insurance subrogate directly from an individual?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I wonder if this goes for those unlicensed scooters and mopeds on the road too? Ive seen a few close calls where it looked like a 14 yr old was driving this little scooter in rush hour traffic and she almost clipped a few cars when she lost control of it. There was no license plate or tag on it, so Im guessing no insurance coverage either.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Depending on your policy, you may have uninsured or under-insured coverage. This is one way to pay for the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive