Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

563 posts, read 2,562,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Which GPS unit lets you do free updates?
As far as I know, at least with Garmin, the updates to existing map builds (your map software) are free but when they come out with a new map build (like lets say North america 2010), you will need to pay for that. Garmin charges 75 bucks or something like that I think. THey all charge for these types of updates. As far as why you would want to update, perhaps your area of the country is seeing growth or new roads are being built, exit ramps, etc....Maybe you are traveling to Europe or Canada and if you do not have those maps, you would want them. As far as points of Interest (POI) loaded on the GPS units, it does not matter what type you buy, most are slightly outdated because so many new stores, restaurants, chains, etc are being built and opened. You can search the internet and get on forums to download files created by other users that catalog all of a point of interest. For instance, I put all the starbucks and walmarts in my GPS. This came in handy when I needed something on a trip for my satellite radio--I just looked for the closest walmart and went an got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,933,766 times
I prefer a good old fashioned road atlas.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times
We have a garmin. We have used tom tom - good but prefer garmin.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,415,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I prefer a good old fashioned road atlas.

I used to also... But, I have a brain injury & an anxiety disorder so I just am not able to pull it together to be following & reading maps all the time. I've lost my sense of direction when in new surroundings & am no longer able to retain short term data to instantly remember, recall, or adapt to situations... I need the GPS to make life more livable/manageable given all of this...

Old 04-02-2008, 04:33 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,030,663 times
I have a Garmin Nuvi and love it. It has, on the rare occasion sent me on a very strange route, but not that often.

I like mine because it is small and portable and announces the street name to turn on. I have since purchased a new Camry Hybrid with a built-in nav system and I miss that feature.

I have also taken my Nuvi with me when I made a trip to Scandinavia last year. I did not bring it for the maps (they are not loaded for other than North America) but it was helpful to do some quick translation and currency conversions.

I also like that you can easily adjust the volume and the size of the maps.

I did purchase the update CD ROM this past year and it was about $150.00. Like someone else said, nothing is for free anymore - except opinions in this forum!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,690,171 times
I know not for everyone but I have had for a cpl of years now the Garmin software package and reciever/antenna (GPS-18). ($105) Yes I know it's a laptop and not nearly as cute as a little module but....I can at a fast glance actually read the display while on the move and.. no little buttons to get to nested menus,and...while on road trips I always take my laptop anyway (email etc). I do agree I still like paper road maps too but I wouldn't hit the road without my laptop and Garmin hook up.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,921,359 times
I went with the Garmin Nuvi 660 for $319.

Garmin nuvi 660 In-Depth Review (GPS Magazine)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,921,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Which GPS unit lets you do free updates?
My Garmin has a WebUpdater. You just hook your GPS to the PC via a USB port to see what updates are available. Garmin will also remind you by e-mail when an update is available for your specific model.

Garmin provides an easy utility for updating the firmware/software on all their GPS units. Garmin's WebUpdater software can be downloaded from Garmin's Website. The utility automatically checks the model number connected to the computer (via USB), the version of software currently installed, and the version available for download. If a newer version is available on Garmin's website, the WebUpdater will ask if you want to install the new version. Of course, if you prefer, you can still download the individual updates for the nuvi manually.

There's no official rule on how frequently Garmin makes mapping updates available for their products. Their map supplier, NAVTEQ, generally releases map updates 6 times per year. However, you can expect to wait around 1-2 years for updated map data to make its way into your device.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-04-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM

Anyone have any idea why my 20 year old son swears that nothing even compares to the TomTom? He's into stuff like that & reads a lot about it & such - but doesn't own any of them. He's just very certain he's correct & the general consensus seems to be to go with the Garmin...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I really don't know much about them, but if I am not mistaken, Tom Tom is made by Qualcomm. That is a company that I respect deeply. They keep debt low and have made it a point to bring technology to third word countries (like Arkansas).

That's a good sway in the direction of the TomTom - can anyone speak to this as to whether or not this is true? If two things are otherwise nearly even - I'll always choose the more socially conscious company.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive