Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times

Advertisements

I'd try to find a good, used, high-end tire rather that an off-brand. Like another poster said, some drivers change perfectly good tires simply for aesthetic reasons. I'd shy away for the so-called "recaps or re-threads."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:32 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Kumho is a very affordable underrated tire. I’ve had 2 sets and both performed above and beyond.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

This lays out much of "who makes what" type information. Awhile back the aforementioned Subie needed tires badly, we had a surprise snow, I sprung for some Goodride tires which was what my usual mechanic had in stock that would fit.

Not a high line brand, but so far so good. They balanced up nicely and don't have much radial hardness runout, they run smooth. They were relatively cheap. Time will tell how long they last. They grip OK in snow.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:52 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
My stepfather owns a service station. He recently started stocking Starfire tires. I believe they are from Australia. They have LT models, which he put on his work truck and my uncle now has on his pickup. He highly recommends them. I recently got Coopers only because the Starfires didn't come in the size I needed.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I really like Kumhos, my husband talked me into replacing them with Continentals and I hate them, the ride was so much smoother with Kumhos
I have continental on my daily. Nothing too brag about. They are quiet but have a mushy feeling on quick turns. Haven’t had rain but if they handle like crap I’m taking them back. I don’t care for them.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are willing to give-up some smoothness and quietness in your ride, to get a much sturdier, tougher tire..... get LT-Rated as opposed to P-Rated. Of course you have to be able to find an LT tire that fits your rims.
LT tires aren't really necessary on passenger cars though..... you'll never use them to their potential and they will dry rot just as quickly as other tires.

I have to run LT tires on my 2500 because of the weight I pull. They've lasted about as long as any other tire. The only difference is the number of plies (6-8 over 4). Really not necessary on a grocery getter.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Found a Coats tire machine on CL for $200 (Balancer came with)
so...

I get my used tires at a local wrecking yard ($5) Usually in pairs, often like new.

I do not use Goodrich or Goodyear

Prefer Yokohama, Michelin, Toyo, or Kuhmo

I often buy a car at a towing auction ($35-$100) just to get a nice set of tires and wheels.

Scrap the car and break even (free tires and wheels + sometimes a good engine (to resell))

Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
Don't buy Nexxen (sp?) tires. They are slippery when it rains and snows. The first time I had to drive on them in the snow, I slid and would have crashed if I hadn't hit the emergency brake. I have never slid in the snow before and I had never been so scared in my life.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
First of all, buy online from Tire Rack. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...160905200534:s Best prices by far, often with free shipping, and sometimes rebates (and I've never failed to receive a promised rebate!) Waltz into Walmart or your local tire place and have them installed for $12-15/per tire (I do my own and save even more!) Save boucoups of $$. I've got lots of cars, and tires and batteries are some of my biggest expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I really like Kumhos, my husband talked me into replacing them with Continentals and I hate them, the ride was so much smoother with Kumhos
Kumho's are the best tire for the money I have found. Gone through about 8 sets so far. The model I liked started to come from China, so I switched to Sumitomo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Kumho is a very affordable underrated tire. I’ve had 2 sets and both performed above and beyond.
Yep. I just don't buy the ones from China anymore. Their Solus are made in Thailand. If I can't find Kumho's I like from Thailand or Viet Nam, I'll get Sumitomo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
As far as I know, there really are no bad tires these days.
I submit Kenda. Made in China, thin as paper and utter crap. Puncture risk on simple gravel.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
Hankook and Cooper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive