Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 11:41 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times

Advertisements

Actually Tirerack has a tire shaving service so you can just buy one tire with AWD if tread on the others is still good.
https://tires.tirerack.com/m/tires/Shaving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 12:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Tire Rack is one of the largest authorized dealers of everything they sell in the nation. They partner with NTB, Discount Tire, and other local shops for the installations. You can actually schedule the installation appointment for a fixed price at your local shop when you check out. Maybe educate yourself on their business model before spewing incorrect information
I think that someone misses the point of authorized dealer.

If warranty is needed. Do you send tire back to this internet store? Or just visit your local store?

So all should get educated.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I think that someone misses the point of authorized dealer.

If warranty is needed. Do you send tire back to this internet store? Or just visit your local store?

So all should get educated.
You just visit your local installer. I've done this twice for road hazard warranties. My local Firestone is the authorized installer for Tire Rack. When I bought the tires, they were shipped to Firestone where I had them mounted and balanced. When I needed road hazard warranty work done, I took them back to Firestone where the phone call to Tire Rack was made and the replacement tire was shipped next day (which is fine because the local tire stores don't stock the 18" tires I needed for my car anyway).

it's literally no different than buying local and going back to the store you bought from.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:15 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
I have used them. Timely shipping. Had to pay for balancing and install at my shop. That was 22$ extra per tire. Still cheaper.

Best place though was a farm tractor repair shop way out in the boonies. They have a flat price includes mount,install and the disposal fee all wrapped in the price. The business is exempt for taxes since the farmers themselves are exempt from taxes for their business needs. So overall I pay 86 per tire and they last thru winters(snow ice). Usually four years . And these are hankook tires which my car seems to do well with. Tried firestone and Pirelli but they wore out at 30k miles when they were to last til 70k.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
I live in a big city and there is no place in town with the same prices for the same tires, let alone lower. It's always good to price check but I've been happy with Tire Rack. I've bought tires from them for 20 years. Often the good tires I buy there are not even available locally except by special order for an exorbitant price. They've always been good buys and no regrets here.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I live in a big city and there is no place in town with the same prices for the same tires, let alone lower. It's always good to price check but I've been happy with Tire Rack. I've bought tires from them for 20 years. Often the good tires I buy there are not even available locally except by special order for an exorbitant price. They've always been good buys and no regrets here.

Also what I've found.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:02 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You just visit your local installer. I've done this twice for road hazard warranties. My local Firestone is the authorized installer for Tire Rack. When I bought the tires, they were shipped to Firestone where I had them mounted and balanced. When I needed road hazard warranty work done, I took them back to Firestone where the phone call to Tire Rack was made and the replacement tire was shipped next day (which is fine because the local tire stores don't stock the 18" tires I needed for my car anyway).

it's literally no different than buying local and going back to the store you bought from.
Exactly. And remember that most tire dealers aren't buying directly from the manufacturer. Many rely on local and national distributors for inventory. Even the "Firestone" or "Goodyear" store is a franchise and they rely on distributors for quick shipment of small orders.

BTW, Tire Rack Wholesale is a huge distributors that many tire stores use.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:10 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
I just bought one of these from TireRack.com

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=217

It arrived quickly, but there were a couple of defects. One of the casters was defective & wouldn't screw in. The company took care of the issue pretty quickly. I was impressed with their customer service.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Discount Tire online business is often cheaper than Tire Rack (if $ are your objective)

I often buy from Tires EZ when I am trying to match existing tires
https://www.tires-easy.com/

@ $22 / per mount... my CL tire machine (Coats) paid itself off in (2) sets.

Neighbors use it for studs and new tires; so it does 30 - 40 sets / yr in it's free time/.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I am presently shopping TireRack.com. gotta find 4 matching P205/60R15. Looking to get this in September. AWD car .. can't change just one tire .....
How does everyone like TireRack.com ?
I have dealt with Tire Rack a few times over the years and I was satisfied, but nowadays I can do better in terms of both price and the standard Road Hazard Warranty at Costco.

The only drawback with Costco is that they have a limited selection of tires. If somebody wants cheap-o tires, they need to be aware that Costco sells only premium-grade tires. Yes, those premium-grade tires are a relative bargain at Costco, but if somebody is looking to buy really cheap tires, then Costco is not the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive