Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 628,914 times

Advertisements

My friend had 1 dui, got off with like 500 in fines for him just getting out of service etc.. slap on wrist. Judge went real easy.
He got another DUI like 4 months later. - slap in the face to the judge. The new judge CRUSHED HIM. Max penalties etc., he basically lost 15k and license gone for 2 years, and did jail time.

Judges can have leniency depending on situation and records. He gets his license back in February. He doesnt drink and drive anymore, the first judge hurt him by not really punishing him. Now he learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
My friend had 1 dui, got off with like 500 in fines for him just getting out of service etc.. slap on wrist. Judge went real easy.
He got another DUI like 4 months later. - slap in the face to the judge. The new judge CRUSHED HIM. Max penalties etc., he basically lost 15k and license gone for 2 years, and did jail time.

Judges can have leniency depending on situation and records. He gets his license back in February. He doesnt drink and drive anymore, the first judge hurt him by not really punishing him. Now he learned.

The first judge didn't hurt him, he hurt himself by not learning his lesson.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 628,914 times
Touche'

Old 09-03-2018, 09:13 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,279,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Somewhere around 10k.
Yikes

Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Interesting responses so far but . . . what about the increased Insurance Premiums for the next dozen or so years?

Thankfully, no personal experience but I have heard the Insurance Companies can be brutal to a driver with a DUI on his record.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting responses so far but . . . what about the increased Insurance Premiums for the next dozen or so years?

Thankfully, no personal experience but I have heard the Insurance Companies can be brutal to a driver with a DUI on his record.
Yep. I got one nearly 10 years ago. Insurance rates stay higher until the DUI is 10 years old.

Got mine in CA. Here, at least, the laws are clear about what the penalties are, so it's stupid to pay a lawyer, because the lawyer can't save you from the fines and penalties that the law says you have to pay. I researched this stuff and didn't pay a lawyer. My out of pocket with fine and required class was around $3,000 back then, plus, I've been paying higher insurance premiums for nearly 10 years. Not sure how that adds up over time, but it sure cured me of ever driving after even one drop of alcohol. It was my first and only offense.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yep. I got one nearly 10 years ago. Insurance rates stay higher until the DUI is 10 years old.

Got mine in CA. Here, at least, the laws are clear about what the penalties are, so it's stupid to pay a lawyer, because the lawyer can't save you from the fines and penalties that the law says you have to pay. I researched this stuff and didn't pay a lawyer. My out of pocket with fine and required class was around $3,000 back then, plus, I've been paying higher insurance premiums for nearly 10 years. Not sure how that adds up over time, but it sure cured me of ever driving after even one drop of alcohol. It was my first and only offense.
A good attorney can plea bargain a first offense DUI citation with 0.08-ish BAC down to a lesser charge. A DUI conviction is kind of a big deal. You can’t go to Canada, among a lengthy list of countries. It shows up on your criminal background check so there are jobs you’re barred from. Just the auto insurance savings from not having a DUI conviction more than pays attorney fees. If you hang sheet rock for a living, don’t have a passport, and drive a beater with the minimum compulsory insurance, by all means show up in court representing yourself. For anyone else, you want to hire the district attorney’s golf buddy and get the charge reduced.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Was called from an old High School friend. About 4 towns away.
For a ride home.
I was number 11 on his list to call for a ride.
Not sure why the first 10 calls got no ride.
Except this wasn't his first DWI/DUI.
This was over 10 years ago.

He had is drivers license pulled.
Never to get a drivers license again.

He now walks a lot. Dependent for others for rides.

He will never drive again. Even after spending lots of money on high priced lawyers.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:24 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A good attorney can plea bargain a first offense DUI citation with 0.08-ish BAC down to a lesser charge. A DUI conviction is kind of a big deal. You can’t go to Canada, among a lengthy list of countries. It shows up on your criminal background check so there are jobs you’re barred from. Just the auto insurance savings from not having a DUI conviction more than pays attorney fees. If you hang sheet rock for a living, don’t have a passport, and drive a beater with the minimum compulsory insurance, by all means show up in court representing yourself. For anyone else, you want to hire the district attorney’s golf buddy and get the charge reduced.
That's what I did. It cost me $4,000, but it was money well spent. Case was dismissed, but here in TN, they can be and often are reduced to reckless driving, after all the general sessions I sat through.

It really depends on the judge and the individual county. The judge in my case went easy on DUIs, but threw the book at identity theft suspects. The county it happened in is high crime, and they have bigger fish to fry than pounding first time DUI convicts.

I don't think the penalties for a <.10 DUI with no injury or property damage should be very severe. A couple of glasses of wine at dinner could put a small woman over the legal limit. There's a significant difference between that and the guys putting up a .20 crashing into a power pole.

Anyone can Google the TN minimums. Here's what I actually saw being doled out, assuming no aggravating factors. I never saw any first DUI get more than minimums, even with a public defender.

1) $350 fine plus court costs. I think it was ~$700 total.
2) 48 hours jail less time served. DUI offenders come in on Friday night at 7 and leave Sunday.
3) 11m29d probation. Supervised until costs are paid. Unsupervised after that. A lot of folks pay then.
4) Unless the judge orders otherwise, you have a choice between an IID and a license that allows you to travel unrestricted (provided it's in a car with the IID), or a hardship license without the IID to required appointments. Most people take the IID.
5) Auto insurance rates, according to my agent, are only raised about 20% for most people without any other recent traffic violations. Those with a worse driving history will get pounded.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 09-04-2018 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
In SC with a good lawyer you can usually get the first DUI pleaded down to a lesser charge. Typically this will cost about $3-5K when all is said and done. Beating it a 2nd time is possible but can get expensive in the $7-8K range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive