Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:31 PM

628 posts, read 837,841 times

Advertisements

I would recommend a used Chevrolet Equinox 2017 or older however the new ones are compact so you might not want a new one unless your willing to get a smaller car I rented a 2015 Equinox and it has good ride quality and good MPG and lots of cargo and passenger space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Some really useful (and not just for me I'm sure) information here.

An observation is that what is considered mid-size seems to vary - especially now that there is a new breed in the micro size like the Ford Eco and the Hyundai Kona and the like, none of which interest me.

I thought the Sante Fe Sport, CX-5, and Edge were examples of mid-size, the Escape, CX-3, and Tuscon to be small or compact size, whereas the Pilot, Explorer, Highlander, CX-9, etc. would be large or 'regular' size, and I guess a Tahoe or Expedition to be huge. But I think that my definitions are not in line with the industry's.

philnak is right - I have no need for anything larger than what I just described as mid-size. I like the Explorer but probably Edge is a better size for us.

It's still early on for me in trying these out, so far I've test driven a Sorrento (too much oversteer and touchy brakes and had a kind of car sickness feel about it), CRV (a bit smaller than I want but not bad, not great), Edge (perfect size and really liked the way it drove and sits), Santa Fe Sport (I liked it as so far the #2 but not sure how I'd like it 5 years later) and I plan to try a few others out, and some from ideas by posters in this thread.
To me, what you listed was was somewhere between mid-size and "regular" size. You may not be interested in my suggestion, but I'll throw it out anyways.

I would suggest the RAV4. It's a great little SUV, though to me the headrests make the drive uncomfortable. Also the Forester meets most of what you want and is a fantastic and comfortable vehicle. My husband drives one (I drive a Highlander that I love). It is nimble and can get us up and down our mountain even when it's icy, though my palms sweat the whole way down, ha ha. It gets great gas mileage, he averages 28 mpg and that's with all of our mountain driving. If you want bigger, then the Highlander is one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. I've had 5 over the years and have loved them all (I tend to get an itch for a new car every few years).

Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a Santa Fe and loved the ten year warranty. It ran out a couple years ago, but it is still going strong.

But I think I might go back to a Ford Explorer or a Chevy Colorado.

My four year old Hyundai still has its bumper to bumper warranty. One year left on the bumper to bumper warranty and six years left on the powertrain warranty. My two year old Chevy Silverado has fewer miles on it and it's already out of warranty.

You will pay a premium price for a Colorado. I got a fully loaded Silverado LTZ for the same price as a mid-trim Colorado. You'll find the incentives are much heftier for the Silverado.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:51 AM

768 posts, read 718,103 times
I had the same criteria when I moved to the Seattle area. Love my Audi Q5. You might want to consider the Q7 though if you have kids or want more room.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:26 AM

669 posts, read 581,195 times
I was trading my 2016 Honda Accord for a crossover because I missed having a crossover and when driving interstates I felt “small”. Loved the car but .....

It seemed a natural progression to get a Honda CRV. I did test drive it and, frankly, was underwhelmed. Disappointed, in fact. Did not impress me enough to trade in my sedan. Had a 2010 Nissan Rogue and loved it but I hate the new body style. ( Nissan has great seats btw.)

Husband and I discussed Subaru Forester ( price) i had already test driven one, ( drives like a truck) tho he was not aware of that. So....off to the dealer to buy a 2018 at a model clearance discount. ( I go alone). I texted hubby the picture as of the one I just test drove on the highway....and as I was discussing the paperwork and payment options, my husband texted back BUY THE OUTBACK! I squealed in glee and and drove one HOME! I LOVE THIS VEHICLE! Smoother ride and upscale..which is what I really wanted but did not want to pay the price. So....paying the price! My 10 year car! Sooooo happy! ( considered RDX but that was another 10k. Uh, no)

Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Depending on your budget, I would look at the Volvos too. XC60 or the larger XC90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive