Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

My existing ride is a 2010 Passat - German made 120K miles. I'd buy the same car if I could get it...but I can't, only American made cheapened product many years old (in design).....

So I figured I'd go for something efficient - the Camry Hybrid or the Honda Accord Hybrid. Test drove both - both are great.

Camry has lousy entertainment system (no Car Play for Apple)....their own apps, etc. - you can pay a lot extra and get something bad (still no car play).....so maybe I'd go for the Avalon Hybrid? Opps...unlike the Camry and Accord, the batteries dig deeply into the trunk space. Well, maybe I will fork over for a Lexus ES 2018 Hybrid? No car play and same deal with trunk. Paying more doesn't get more.....

Accord pushes most buttons except passenger seat is really low and wife is short. No upward adjustment! Still, it's number #1 on the list and I may just have the wife use a pad or do an aftermarket seat raising (such things do exist).....

Stopped in Honda dealer twice. Talked to same long term sales guy...Emailed him twice for price and availability. First time...no response. Second time he actually responded and said he'd get back. That was a week ago. No questions answered (such as when 2019 are coming out and maybe they have height adj?).....

I even checked with VW to see if they have a launch date for the Arteon, their new upscale german made model. I know it's supposed to be out now or soon...but can't get an answer!

It seems in the auto biz you just can't get answers about things - even informal ones about events that are already scheduled (Honda is already building 2019 models in Marysville)....

It's frustrating because I am one of those "easy" car buyers. No trade, cash deal and easy to please. But the lack of anyone knowing anything AND anyone caring about a sale is frustrating.

Might just wait a few weeks - 2019 Camry is supposed to come with Car Play...although I like the Accord better for various reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 02:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
you are looking for a car at the wrong time my friend, this is the end of the model year as far as manufacturing goes, so not a lot of information is going out right now. when the 2019 models hit the market, then you want to start looking for a new car as they will be selling them and touting all the new features available.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Just curious, but what’s the big deal with Car Play? Why is it so important?

(I have an iPhone but I always use XM)

Old 09-06-2018, 02:35 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My existing ride is a 2010 Passat - German made 120K miles. I'd buy the same car if I could get it...but I can't, only American made cheapened product many years old (in design).....

So I figured I'd go for something efficient - the Camry Hybrid or the Honda Accord Hybrid. Test drove both - both are great.

Camry has lousy entertainment system (no Car Play for Apple)....their own apps, etc. - you can pay a lot extra and get something bad (still no car play).....so maybe I'd go for the Avalon Hybrid? Opps...unlike the Camry and Accord, the batteries dig deeply into the trunk space. Well, maybe I will fork over for a Lexus ES 2018 Hybrid? No car play and same deal with trunk. Paying more doesn't get more.....

Accord pushes most buttons except passenger seat is really low and wife is short. No upward adjustment! Still, it's number #1 on the list and I may just have the wife use a pad or do an aftermarket seat raising (such things do exist).....

Stopped in Honda dealer twice. Talked to same long term sales guy...Emailed him twice for price and availability. First time...no response. Second time he actually responded and said he'd get back. That was a week ago. No questions answered (such as when 2019 are coming out and maybe they have height adj?).....

I even checked with VW to see if they have a launch date for the Arteon, their new upscale german made model. I know it's supposed to be out now or soon...but can't get an answer!

It seems in the auto biz you just can't get answers about things - even informal ones about events that are already scheduled (Honda is already building 2019 models in Marysville)....

It's frustrating because I am one of those "easy" car buyers. No trade, cash deal and easy to please. But the lack of anyone knowing anything AND anyone caring about a sale is frustrating.

Might just wait a few weeks - 2019 Camry is supposed to come with Car Play...although I like the Accord better for various reasons.

Have you bothered to check your current FICO score?? Sales people check that first to see how much money you can borrow. Something tells me you got a problem that you don't know about.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Have you bothered to check your current FICO score?? Sales people check that first to see how much money you can borrow. Something tells me you got a problem that you don't know about.
I would say no, since he said he does cash deals.

Just sounds like bad salespeople to me that are unfamiliar with their products and not good at follow through and getting back to potential customers.

Find another Honda dealer about Accords. For 2019 changes and updates, this past months C&D magazine had all that info in there.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:48 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post

The OP didn't say anything about sitting down and talking to a finance manager he is just trying to get some information from a salesperson. Sales people do not pull your credit so they should treat everyone the same whether they are dressed nicely or like a bum, drive a nice car or a beater but of course sales is a lesson in human nature 101 and most sales people are lazy. I saw it first hand when I used to sell cars.

It could be that the dealers you went to OP are really busy which most would be as they are trying to clear out the 18's and they might just view you as a tire kicker.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

CarPlay is sweet. Well worth waiting for.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM

149 posts, read 104,315 times
When you do not get any response from salesfolks, I would complain directly to the sales manager and/or general manager. You need to remind those managers they are in the business of making money for their dealership, and they can not make money if they do not sell cars because their salesfolks are incompetent and/or lazy.

A while ago, I walked into a Subaru dealership wanting to buy a new car. The salesmen, they were all men, sat around on their asses talking about what they were going to have for dinner and how their last date went. I was ignored, so I turned around and left, and when I got home, I called the dealership and asked to speak to the general manager. I told him the problem, and suggested he was paying his salesmen too much if they could afford to sit around and gossip. I got an apology and an invite back to the dealership; I thanked him, but I went to another dealership and purchased a new car there.

And the same goes for their service department. If you get treated rudely, talk to the service manager, and if you do not get satisfaction there, I have even written the owner of the dealership and gotten an apology via phone call from the owner (along with an offer to refund part of the bill which I refused as they did the work; I just wanted their folks to treat customers better).

Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
CarPlay is sweet. Well worth waiting for.
Meh I have not been impressed. That may change here in a few weeks when iOS 12 releases and adds google maps and Waze support.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Mostly because the other systems actually mess up your iphone GPS - toyota actually shuts the voice part of it down and you have to use their "Scout" system.

Some of the systems don't even have XM capability - you have to pay $1,000 upgrade to get the unit that accepts it.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker except that it actually gets in the way of the phone GPS in many cases....

Car Play perfectly integrates the large display GPS with your phone GPS, which is perfect....

Also, toyota somewhat forces you to use their own app suite - which is ridiculous. Some of the parts actually charge for subscription!

Normally I wouldn't care much...we use XM also, but I can see how full integration can be of benefit and sice Honda (and future toyotas) have it, I'd like to also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive