Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Really, do you watch over a 7 year old every minute while you are at home? No, they are outside, running around and could certainly end up screwing around with Mom's/Dad's/Neighbor's vehicle even though they know they are not supposed to.
Yeah, and they could drink bleach or eat insecticide or get stabbed by a kitchen knife. Still parental responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Talking about obvious solutions or lessons we can learn from other people's mistakes is a far cry from saying, "I'm an all-powerful know-it-all who never gets in a dumb jam." Maybe we wouldn't get in that dumb jam, but there might be another one.

What we are arguing about is that it's somehow the manufacturer's fault this guy got stuck. No. It's bad luck. It was some degree of unpreparedness. But it was not GM's fault.

Hell, just because of this thread I went to my wife's new car today and went over the manual. I hadn't gotten around to it yet bc she just got it a week ago, but this thread drove home that just one drive is enough to get in a jam.

When my kids get home, we will practice escaping it, like we did with our 2 other cars.

We can all learn something or we can all just throw our hands up in the air and demand everything be made idiot-proof and bubble-wrapped.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:16 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, and they could drink bleach or eat insecticide or get stabbed by a kitchen knife. Still parental responsibility.
Or certain bad manufacturers could make their cars where even a child or an old man can figure out how to get out of them. Turns out something as trivial as being able to get out of a vehicle can be pretty important at times.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
What if a child were locked in one of these P.O.S. vehicles? Is a 7 year old supposed to pull out the manual and figure it out?
No. That's why you drill fire, tornado, and car escapes with your family.

Like they tell you to.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
We can kick this poor example back to parental responsibility.
So the kid is dead... but at least you've told us who to blame

Old 09-14-2018, 11:54 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
So the way I understand this stupid idea - the doors all have exterior door handles but the only way to get out is either pushing a button on the fob or pulling the emergency lever? If that's the case, then we are to believe that this guy never once, not a single time, ever got in his car without his fob during his car ownership, something I find highly doubtful.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:37 PM

I drilled them bc of hot car and sinking car.

And bc I spend an inordinate amount of time teaching my kids stuff bc we hang out A LOT.

All that being said, my 4 year got stuck in a bucket a few weeks ago. We were all there (I was in the next room), but somehow she gets stuck in a bucket. I mean, have you ever imagined a person could get stuck in a bucket? Do you think, "Ok, kids here...put away knives, guns, hard candy, poison, boiling oil...oh, and the deadly bucket!"?

You can try to prepare for anything and still get hosed. The lesson is not, however, to decide it's lunacy to prepare yourself and think about the situations you CAN conceive of.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:37 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Why Didn’t he change the battery in the Key fob when the low fob battery" signal came on.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Why didn't GM build a car that will open the door when you pull the easily visibly mechanical lever? Like nearly every other vehicle in existence?

Old 09-14-2018, 01:21 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
So the way I understand this stupid idea - the doors all have exterior door handles but the only way to get out is either pushing a button on the fob or pulling the emergency lever? If that's the case, then we are to believe that this guy never once, not a single time, ever got in his car without his fob during his car ownership, something I find highly doubtful.

The way it works is the outside and inside handles/buttons are electric and command the BCM to unlatch the door. If the door has power and is unlocked, it opens via the electrical command. If the door is locked with the fob close by, the external door still opens. Internally, you don't need the fob as there is the lock/unlock button. If the car is unlocked, the inside handle/button works just fine, fob or no fob. What had to happen in this case is:

1 - There was enough power in the vehicle to open the door. It was either unlocked or the fob was in his possession.

2 - At some point after getting in the car and closing the door, the car lost all power. Likely it was low to begin with and running the radio, headlights or whatnot depleted the remaining battery power. Since the vehicle lost all power, the electrical command to unlatch the door wouldn't work, and the manual release is needed.

Only in this instance (power getting in, close door then no power to the car) would you need the emergency release.

If you lose power before you get in, there is another alternate method to open the door (mechanical key and possibly a pull cable). If you enter manually because of no power, the same exiting would apply, but this should be obvious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive