Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Yeah, but I would still have to say it is rare to have base OEM rims on low-end vehicles stolen. If you're going to be taking that kind of risk, may as well go as high-end as you can.

High-end SUVs & pickups are popular in my area, and it surprises me how many times someone on the neighborhood message board posts about something like their F150 Platinum or Yukon Denali rims having been stolen the night before, and their vehicle was left in their driveway or on the street (depending on where they left it parked) on the brake disks, or sometimes the thieves grab stepping stones or landscape timbers out of the yard and set it down on top of those. Not everybody has an enclosed garage available, and even if they do, some of those vehicles like that are too big to fit inside. Never saw a post about rims being stolen off something like a Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio, or F150 XL fleet-type truck. Not much demand for used base OEM rims; and certainly, nobody is looking to upgrade to those, when they are the base equipment, to begin with. They're just not going to bring in as much on the black market, because of the lack of demand.

The police always tell us thieves like to target the more affluent neighborhoods, because people there are more likely to have better stuff, that brings in more $$ for the thieves. They suggest parking inside a garage, if possible, or inside a fenced/gated driveway.
I don’t know where you live but the high crime anywhere I’ve lived has always been in low income neighborhoods. I don’t attempt to rationalize what a bunch of broke drug addicts would do. My wheels were ugly stock base model Camaro wheels.

I no longer use wheel locks and I leave doors unlocked and the car cleaned out of any valuables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:28 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just buy 4 more wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have a better solution. Move! If I had to worry my wheels are still on the vehicle the next morning, I'd move.
Neither of these are options for people who actually live on a tight budget - and/or in an expensive region, where a better neighborhood means insanely high rent! For the record, the neighborhood where I was living during those thefts (mentioned in my last post) is one of the safest in San Jose. So it can happen anywhere.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I don’t know where you live but the high crime anywhere I’ve lived has always been in low income neighborhoods. I don’t attempt to rationalize what a bunch of broke drug addicts would do. My wheels were ugly stock base model Camaro wheels.

I no longer use wheel locks and I leave doors unlocked and the car cleaned out of any valuables.
HIGH crime and violent crimes are usually in the lower-income neighborhoods, but thefts can happen (in some cases more likely) in the nice areas too. I grew up in a very affluent part of the Bay Area, and our house was robbed twice - and my car, which I parked on the street since we had 4-5 drivers, had its windows smashed & stuff taken also twice. Makes sense to target the fancier homes and cars, if you’re looking for a good payout. Right?

Old 09-21-2018, 08:03 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Neither of these are options for people who actually live on a tight budget - .
If they can't afford replacement wheels then I guess it's time for public transportation. I'd imagine that used, corroded rims wouldn't be attractive to criminals as they couldn't command much of a return for their efforts. Around here used wheels in less than pristine condition, and from legitimate sources, are fairly cheap.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
If they can't afford replacement wheels then I guess it's time for public transportation. I'd imagine that used, corroded rims wouldn't be attractive to criminals as they couldn't command much of a return for their efforts. Around here used wheels in less than pristine condition, and from legitimate sources, are fairly cheap.
That's silly. Just because someone doesn't have the means to unexpectedly replace four wheels & tires, that doesn't mean they should be taking the bus. I mean, I'd literally have to quit my job if I didn't have a reliable car (as it would take like 2 hours each way on the bus - for a 7-mile distance).

And I was responding to the suggestion of replacing wheels AND tires, which is potentially hundreds of dollars. Even if you go used, that's a lot of dough for some folks! Regardless, I'm just saying it could be a significant burden on those of us with tight budgets... and consider yourself lucky if you've never been in that situation, but it's reality for many of us.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-21-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 08:42 PM

701 posts, read 694,196 times
I bought a new Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. I had less than 900 miles on it when someone tried to steal the rims. I had wheel locks so they busted the window to look for the locks. They did not find the lock but did over $2,800 damage to the truck. The drivers door had to be changed as they bent it when they used a prior bar to bust the window. My truck was parked under my carport in a decent neighborhood. My motion detector lights came on and they unscrewed the bulbs. My insurance paid for the damage less my deductible. I have since install a motion detector on the fence facing the backside of the truck with the base unit next to my bed. If some one passes by the detector or tries to remove it, the alarm goes off. When I brought it in for repairs at the dealership, they told me someone stole tires and rims off of 90 cars and trucks one night. They have since put in a new security system. My insurance guy's SUV was up on blocks when he walked out to go to work. I have put on an extra set of wheel locks with a different key and they are in two different places in my truck. They would have paid for the rims & tires less my deductible.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:47 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
For the price of replacement wheels from a dealer, you could probably get top of the line aftermarket wheels for about the same money!
Some of the aftermarket wheels are not the same quality as OEM, and actually can be dangerous, particularly the Chinese-made ones.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's silly. Just because someone doesn't have the means to unexpectedly replace four wheels & tires, that doesn't mean they should be taking the bus..
That's reality. If the individual's insurance doesn't cover it and they can't afford replacements, then clearly they will be temporarily unable to drive. Furthermore, anyone with limited funds should be considering whether or not they need to own a car at all.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
That's reality. If the individual's insurance doesn't cover it and they can't afford replacements, then clearly they will be temporarily unable to drive. Furthermore, anyone with limited funds should be considering whether or not they need to own a car at all.
Obviously IF/WHEN it happens, you’ll do what you have to do until they’re replaced. But the silly part is saying one shouldn’t own a car if they don’t always have hundreds of extra dollars to spend... especially in areas where public transit is limited, and having a car is essential to getting to/from work. As I said, I’d be looking at additional hours of commute time without mine!

So as long as I can afford gas, car payments, insurance, and routine maintenance, it’s worth the risk of maybe one day not being able to replace stolen parts. I’d deal with that if the time came, but until then I’d be severely “crippled” without my vehicle. And THAT is reality too, as much as I wish it were not.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
What do you do? Call the cops, call your insurance company, find new wheels and tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive