Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What's racist about it? That's what many many people call it. It doesn't convey a belief system...Its a slang term, obviously....akin to "_ _ _" (short for Japanese), which yes, some people now find "offensive" in this age of "Everything is Racist", but it has only the same meaning....anyway, it refers to the real-world actual issue of unusual outgassing (which is caused by tainted materials and improper control or manufacture of adjuvants), due to China's traditional complete disregard for the regulatory and environmental protections space.

Its a notorious, long-standing, well-known issue with Chinese-manufacturing, and its not only plastics and fabrics. Its even metals, because the oils used for lubrication and packaging are tainted. You can find right now, Made in China tools, all metal, that smell and outgas noxiously from their industrial coatings. From what I have observed, its always China.

I have no doubt China is capable of making safe quality items. And maybe in their domestic market they have those. But the stuff they send here...mostly is garbage...and much of it is harmful and wouldn't be allowed to be produced by a domestic manufacturer because it would not pass our regulations.
I you lived in CA you would be well aware EVERY new passenger vehicle has been found to contain toxic material according to the state. There is a sticker stating so on the window of every new car sold in the state regardless of country of manufacture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,221,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I you lived in CA you would be well aware EVERY new passenger vehicle has been found to contain toxic material according to the state. There is a sticker stating so on the window of every new car sold in the state regardless of country of manufacture.
That's true but those are not the chemicals or the issue that I'm referring to. And I have lived here and have purchased new vehicles in the past and am familiar with that sticker. The CA Prop 65 sticker doesn't confirm the presence of sufficient materials that would cause harm, it is there for the primary objective to ensure that the vehicle meets the State's noticing requirements to be offered for sale within the state and in this regard it is a defensive liability gesture by the manufacturers. It is not an OSHA notice or MSDS or anything of that nature.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I have no doubt China is capable of making safe quality items. And maybe in their domestic market they have those. But the stuff they send here...mostly is garbage...and much of it is harmful and wouldn't be allowed to be produced by a domestic manufacturer because it would not pass our regulations.
Having sourced products from China, I can attest that the Chinese will build what you tell them to build. Want cheap? No problem. Want quality? No problem, but it'll cost you.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:40 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,570,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
After the 2008 crash a lot of car companies were in trouble. I owned several volvo's years ago. The 1980's and 1990's ones that were practically bulletproof. I had an XC90 and it was obvious the quality was not what it used to be. They also went from having that unique swedish brick style to looking like all the other cars.

I think they would do well with a retro wagon, something like a Nissan Cube. With the old curves brought up to date.

No, no... A re-issue of the 92-00 850 and V70 would be better, a la the remakes of the 240Z in the 2000s.

*SORRY... 1997.

Last edited by Creamer1; 09-22-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Wow.

Well, kudos to you for being politely racist.
Well, kudos to YOU for identifying racism where there was none.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 AM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
It is a beautiful car, interior is not as roomy as one might think and is getting a bit dated. And it’s $80k+ for freaking sakes! We went for a test ride with the neighbors a couple of weeks ago (for them) and it’s a nice car but I would never spend that kind of money on one -and as others have noted the depreciation and spotty reliability would stop me in my tracks. A 4-cylinder, regardless of the forced induction and electric motor boost is working very hard all the time to move around a 5000 lb vehicle (with occupants).

The XC90 Inscription T8 plug in hybrid starts at $72K. There are plenty of choices well below $72k to buy XC90s starting at $49.7K for an AWD model ($47K for FWD). It is priced right in the mix with Audi, BMW, MB, and Ranger Rover. Some of these other manufacturers' choices also come with 4 cylinder turbos.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
I would never buy a Chinese vehicle since I would support a totalitarian regime.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I would never buy a Chinese vehicle since I would support a totalitarian regime.
That's my question. What does it say on the window sticker? Where is the "Country of Origin?"

Old 09-23-2018, 09:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's my question. What does it say on the window sticker? Where is the "Country of Origin?"
Someone posted a photo of a window sticker earlier in the tread.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Someone posted a photo of a window sticker earlier in the tread.
That was me - post 20

//www.city-data.com/forum/53112379-post20.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive