Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Put the rims on your car. let the ar out of the tires and drive around. The tires will come off.
This gets my vote, jensens definitely takes the cake.

If possible, get the cops to chase you. Make sure you'll get on America's Best Police Chases TV show.
It makes good video when the tires come off the rims and the sparks fly.

Or you can use bolt cutters, they should cut the bead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
look on Craigslist for 'Tire Machine for sale" , then go try it out with your 4 tires. I did that, but also brought home the tire machine for $200 (something else to go in the auction @ my demise )

I vote for driving around on them, but don't do it on the road, get in the dirt.

The Meth heads around here cut the tires off with a sawzall; I know b' cuz they left me a whole pile of cut tires when they came and stole all my steel welding stock, including a lot of antique farm equip they took that I had brought 2000 miles from granddad's farm...

The reinforcement in the tire is tough metal and fiber braiding, pretty tough to cut.

A Tire shop might dismount them for free if you do it during a slow time.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 29,732 times
if you are doing 1-4 tires get a cheep pack of sawzall blades and cut right in to the rim to cut the bead do this on both sides of the rim and just pull the tire off the rim. but if you are doing a lot of rims get a 5 pack of Milwaukee Wrecker Sawzall blades one blade will do bought 18 rims it takes bought 3-4 min per rim. Hope This Helps And Good Luck

Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 27,514 times
I don't think some of you guys understand. The scrap yard pays 5 bucks a rim. The tire shop charges 5 bucks to take the tire off. We junkmen need to find a way to do this safely at home. I have collected 30 or 40 rims over time and I'm ready to cash in. I'm kinda leaning toward using the pick up truck and a jack but that will take a lot of time and elbow grease. I guess as long as it takes 30 minutes or less per rim that's 10 bucks an hour. I could live with that...

Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,389 times
Buy a bead breaker, 3 pound hammer, some large flat screwdrivers and a large flat tipped pry bar. Typical passenger car rims are easy to remove the tire from.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
Yo . why not just burn the rubber off.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
An OLD post for sure.

Many many yrs back when I was young and stupid would place the wheel and tire under the rear brake drum (wheel off of course) lowered the car bumper jack so the drum pressed down on the sidewall next to the rim and it popped the bead...reversed the wheel and did the other side. Did have two flat bladed tire irons to remove the tire from the rim. Installing another tire was not hard with a little soapy water for a lubricant.

Always had my own small air compressor on hand. Eventually bought a tire changer that made things a lot easier. With three cars was always looking for cheap tire deals and my own labor. Young and stupid I know.

Steve

Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
I bought a tire changer years ago and only paid about 80 bucks for it. It has paid for itself ten times over. When old tires stay on a rim for many years the bead can rust on the rim and be VERY hard to break lose.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
I've never taken car tires off the wheel but have done dozens and dozens of truck tires.

I don't see why it couldn't be done with just a couple of prybars or longgg screwdrivers, a big hammer and a valve core remover.

Take the valve core out, when it's flat either whack it with the BFH or stand on it. When it seperates just start working it off the wheel with your pry bars. done.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
I've never taken car tires off the wheel but have done dozens and dozens of truck tires.

I don't see why it couldn't be done with just a couple of prybars or longgg screwdrivers, a big hammer and a valve core remover.

Take the valve core out, when it's flat either whack it with the BFH or stand on it. When it seperates just start working it off the wheel with your pry bars. done.

Maybe I'm missing something?
I have a big old hand held wedge that I always called a bead breaker which I use with a three pound hammer that works well to break the bead and then do what you said. After looking on the internet, I see that people now use a unnecessarily large and awkward looking apparatus to do the same thing. I have removed many tires from rims myself and the only ones that were hard to seperate were rear tractor tires and large combine tires. It is not hard at all to remove the tire from the rim on any car or pickup that I have done yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive