Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Do you think this would benefit auto racing if the hood was painted with this material? Though it won’t make the car faster, it would improve the driver’s visibility. Wouldn’t work in NASCAR with advertising all over, but what about other auto racing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 01:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
I don't think so remotely, but the visibility would depend more on the structure and thickness of the vehicle.

What kind of auto racing are you thinking more along the lines of?

Old 09-23-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I don't think so remotely, but the visibility would depend more on the structure and thickness of the vehicle.

What kind of auto racing are you thinking more along the lines of?
Rally type races, F-1 type races, and that series with all those luxury sedans like Cadillac, BMW, and Mercedes for example. I was thinking a hood painted with this stuff would improve driver visibility because it would completely eliminate any light reflection off the hood. At the very least it’s something that could be worth testing.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Blackout hoods have been common in racing for some time. Look at the several muscle cars that came from makers with (usually rather arty) blackout. I don't think there's much difference, practically speaking, between a good coat of automotive matte black and the fanciest engineered coating, though.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Blackout hoods have been common in racing for some time. Look at the several muscle cars that came from makers with (usually rather arty) blackout. I don't think there's much difference, practically speaking, between a good coat of automotive matte black and the fanciest engineered coating, though.
Look up the videos of Vanta black.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Look up the videos of Vanta black.
I know what it is.

The point is that on the gradient from a shiny hood covered with distracting graphics to just a shiny hood to a dull-finish hood to a blacked-out hood, the difference between plain matte black paint and a black so black it sucks your eyeballs out isn't going to be enough to bother. But then, numbers never lie and so another percent of albedo reduction must make the car go faster, right?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I know what it is.

The point is that on the gradient from a shiny hood covered with distracting graphics to just a shiny hood to a dull-finish hood to a blacked-out hood, the difference between plain matte black paint and a black so black it sucks your eyeballs out isn't going to be enough to bother. But then, numbers never lie and so another percent of albedo reduction must make the car go faster, right?
Didn’t say anything about it making the car faster. My point was the possibility of increasing driver vision.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Didn’t say anything about it making the car faster. My point was the possibility of increasing driver vision.
Humor alert, dude. EVERYTHING is done to a race car to make it go faster, including adding decals.

So I'll say it again: the difference in albedo between a good matte black and the blackity-black of Vanta is not likely to make the slightest practical difference. In jump from a shiny, graphics-laden hood, either one would work just as well. May as well stay with the one that's a fraction of the cost and can tolerate race conditions.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Vehicle sizing and shape would play more of a role as I said. I also think not having an anti-roll cage would help(Jk)

That could be very beneficial if you're doing rally for sure, as well as some WRC perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive