Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:35 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times

Advertisements

Cost rise for everything the only thing that goes down is your pants at night. Sure vechiles cost to much so does beer and beef so does everything else nothing we can do about it. Why is it that cars and pickups cost make people gasp what about prescription drugs they are also over priced and what about health insurance but the only thing i hear people complain about is new car prices, and please don’t say that medical cost haven’t risen more than new car prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Also, nobody is paying sticker for a truck made by the big 3. You can basically subtract a 1 from the first number on the sticker, and that’s much closer to the price you’ll be paying. There are so many deals and rebates to be had on trucks, it’s no wonder they sell so much better than sedans.
This is 100% spot on!

Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Depends on the brand. Definitely on something like a Ford or Chevy. When it came time to buy/replace our Subaru we were going to buy used. However Subarus hold their value well. Did the math and found buying used we would save 20% over new on a Subaru if we went with a Forester that was 30-%40% used up. Ended up buying new. No regrets
This happens a lot with "in demand" vehicles. Some folks get the "buy used" mentality yet they don't really save much!

I bought a new F150 Lariat back in 2010 for 10K off sticker. Paid 30,900. Traded it for 21K 5 years/59K miles later. So it cost me a set of tires, a battery and 10K to drive it 5 yrs. Dealer I traded it to put it on the lot for 26K and it sold quickly (I don't know the price). Even if the buyer paid 24K, who would have thought that for 7K more he could have bought that truck brand new 5 years earlier?

Saved 7K but after doing brakes (original)/another set of tires, alternator (it was whining) then paying a higher interest rate on the used car loan the buyer really didn't save much and now have a 5 yr old truck with no warranty!

Last edited by City Guy997S; 09-26-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,782,342 times
It depends on what vehicles you are looking to buy. There are some pretty decent priced cars available. However, trucks and SUV's are way overpriced. Anybody that will go and pay $75,000 for a Ford pickup truck is an idiot that has absolutely no business or financial sense.

It is sort of funny because I know guys on both sides of the spectrum. There are those that are in good financial shape and make very good money some of which own businesses and they keep vehicles a long time and when they do trade, they find a good deal on a used vehicle. They do that to keep their annual losses on vehicles low. Then I know people on the opposite end of the spectrum that work 9 to 5 jobs and range from respectable income to higher income engineers and upper management and they trade for new vehicles every 3 or so years and are so in debt they live paycheck to paycheck.

Somebody has to buy the new ones though so the rest of us can get good deals on used ones and not spend 30% of our income or more on vehicles year after year.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 AM

16,446 posts, read 19,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sigh.. Do you run a car dealership?
No, I just don't generalize and paint everyone with the same broad brush. OBVIOUSLY you've been burned by a 'stealership'.

I had a fantastic experience at Mike Bass Mazda in Sheffield Lake, Ohio. /shoutout

- extended warranty for a new car that already has a factory warranty
Wasn't offered an 'extended' warranty
- marked up prices for used cars on the lot
This one I don't understand at all. If a used car is marked up to high... don't buy it. That's not on the dealership that supposedly marks the car up to high, that's on the buyer. Why do I think YOU just think that cars should be cheaper?!?
- crappy trade in value for your car
I traded in a car with a blown turbo and got more then I expected and a radio that didn't work.
- insane cost to get your car serviced at the dealership compared to a local mechanic
I paid $50 for a synthetic oil change. That's cheaper then anywhere else in my area. I couldn't even justify doing it myself at that price. Would cost me $32. For $18 more I'm happy to pay someone else to do it.
- admin fee
Didn't have that
- fuel charge fee
Didn't have that
- fabric protection add on
Wasn't offered
- paint protection add on
Wasn't offered that. Might have gotten it. Automotive paint today isn't as good as it used to be.

Quote:
You have to conduct high stakes negotiations just to get something that’s been marked up back down to a fair price. New and used.
Maybe you do. Why is that? Because you go in with unreasonable expectations, I bet. "I'm getting $6 grand off this car damnit!"
I don't do any 'high stakes negotiating'. When I bought my car I looked online...found what others were paying. Walked in. I said "I want this car for this price." Dealer countered. I countered. Done.
That was my first new car. Buying used cars? Walk in, offer x. They don't like it. Leave. I'm not wasting hours of my life negotiating.

Quote:
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Don't make assumptions based off ONE post that I made.

Quote:
You enjoy being nickel and dimed to death under the ignorance of thinking car dealerships would wither away and die without such fees and add-ons, the rest of us will enjoy the money in our pocket by understanding the games car dealership play for customers like you.
LoL
And you enjoy being so self righteous. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.

My only point is... not all dealers are sketchy. Many aren't. A few bad ones ruin the reputation of the rest.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:36 AM

24,137 posts, read 9,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My only point is... not all dealers are sketchy. Many aren't. A few bad ones ruin the reputation of the rest.
I never said dealerships were sketchy

Nickel and diming naive customers like you who gladly pay for unnecessary fees on marked up new and used cars and add-ons from the lot is perfectly legal, that doesn’t mean the rest of us are as gullible though.

For a man who claims he’s not a car salesman, you sure are in bed with these folks. Let me guess, your father was one and that’s what you wanted to be when you grow up?

Bad news kid, don’t quit your day job. That used luxury car you financed at 15% for 72 months because you thought the car salesman was nice wasn’t worth it.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-26-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 09:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,497,934 times
When you factor in that you can get 0% on certain manufactures for a new car, it almost makes it not worth going used and paying more interest for a car that has a good portion of its warranty used up. My wife’s and my current vehicles were purchased last year. Both come with 6yr/70k mile warranty’s along with 3yrs of complimentary maintenance. By the time that warranty is up, we will have sold both cars. I dont mind paying extra for the peace of mind.

I’m OCD about maintenance and reliability therefore I always go new. You never know how the previous owner treated that vehicle.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,485,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
The CarMax in my city is closed Sundays. Their Monday-Saturday hours are about the same as most other mainstream new-car dealers in the area.

You can't apply the 25% instant depreciation across the board, though. Remember, you're going to take a hit on anything you turn around and trade in, but to buy a previously-titled current model year vehicle with ten miles on the odometer from a dealer, it will likely cost a buyer virtually the same as new.
25% is good number for most cars. Take any BMW you drive it for a month and it loses about 20%

$40k new, used with just 3k mi is going for $32k used private sale.

Some cars fair better but in general most high priced cars lose a lot of value used on the list 5 years.

A used car doesn't lose value as much. You can buy some trucks and SUV and drive it for 2 years and lose just 5%

I've owned used Subarus where I got every penny back with no maintenance on it.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:43 AM

9,774 posts, read 11,430,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This happens a lot with "in demand" vehicles. Some folks get the "buy used" mentality yet they don't really save much!

I bought a new F150 Lariat back in 2010 for 10K off sticker. Paid 30,900. Traded it for 21K 5 years/59K miles later. So it cost me a set of tires, a battery and 10K to drive it 5 yrs. Dealer I traded it to put it on the lot for 26K and it sold quickly (I don't know the price). Even if the buyer paid 24K, who would have thought that for 7K more he could have bought that truck brand new 5 years earlier?

Saved 7K but after doing brakes (original)/another set of tires, alternator (it was whining) then paying a higher interest rate on the used car loan the buyer really didn't save much and now have a 5 yr old truck with no warranty!
This^^^
Better yet, I was just recently in the market for a used Toyota Tacoma Truck. I came to the quick Revelation that, only a fool would buy a 2-5 year old used Toyota Tacoma truck here in Southern California. I rather buy new one for a couple of grand more.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You meant the reply below.

I don't think 90% of wages are keeping up with inflation because a $100k job in the 90s should be paying in the $250k area today, less than 25% of the US population make over $200k wage. I take home a little over $200k last year as an IT Security Consultant but I still feel very middle class. While I could enjoy 2 car payments a month I rather put my money into appreciating assets. When I'm too old to fix cars then I'll buy a reliable new car. I spent $20k last year on AMD stocks is worth over $60k now enough to buy myself 2 new cars.

I make around a quarter of your salary. So, if you feel middle class, I'm living on the streets! I also work in IT as a system admin. It does seem to be that IT security is where the bigger money is. I've tried my best to break into IT security, but haven't been able to get an opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive