Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 60,168 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine sold an older car to a friend of his. Now he received a notice of impound and storage bill from the police.
Apparently the car died and was left sitting in front of the new owners house and the police impounded it and when they checked it was still registered in the name of the first owner, not the purchaser.
What can/should my friend do to straighten this out? I thought he should take a copy of the bill of sale to the DMV and or the police and give then the new owner's info. It was sold at least 8-9 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
I had a similar situation, but what helped me with the court system was I had a Bill of Sale "dated when I sold the automobile. That saved me from any tickets of any kind....luckily I saved the "Bill of sale"..

Always use a Bill of sale, nothing fancy, just the item, vin number, seller, buyer names, signatures of both and dates...keep a copy give a copy to the buyer...

Old 04-03-2008, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 60,168 times
Thanks, that helps. does the bill of sale have to be notarized???

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
How to fix this may depend on your state. In TX there is a state form that you can fill out and mail in to "clear" yourself in the event the new owner doesn't re-register the vehicle.

golfgod

Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
I had this happen to me when I was in Indiana as they called me and told me "your truck is at XXX lot, we want $XXX to get it out". I told her it was not mine, I had sold it. Which I did, but I guess the new owner never titled it. They said "ok" and that was it. Hell it was a piece of sh*t Ford truck but I'm sure they made a buck or two off of it. Money they didn't have to start with.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I once bought a car & sold it a week later & doubled my money.I never released my liability & the new owner abandoned the car in Long Beach,ca.I got a letter from the police & i told them i sold the car.They said "ok" & never heard about it again.ALWAYS be sure you notify the dmv with a release of ownership forum unless you sell it to the wrecking yard.Last month i paid $50.00 to a neighbor for a 95 dodge neon with alot of problems.I sold the car 2 days later to a wrecking yard for $280.00 & i kept the car battery & toshiba fm/cassette/6 disc cd changer.Not too shabby.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:43 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Default Is this CA

In CA you have no protection unless you properly submitted the notice of sale documentation to the DMV... and the documentation must be completely filled out.

The form is attached to every "New" style title and was mailed with every old style "Pink" slip since the 70's

It can become a real problem that may even require a court visit to straighten out because the CA State Board of Equalization has the power to garnish your wages and tax refunds for any unresolved DMV problems for vehicles officially titled in your name.

Several years ago... I nearly had the same problem... Being overly cautious, I sent my Notice of Sale Documentation by Certified Mail, Return Receipt and that was my saving grace as at first the DMV said it had no record that I had submitted one.

Since then, I have always gone to the DMV with the new buyer to complete the sale and transfer... this way both parties know the transaction is complete.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
This is apparently a common problem. I sold a car and had to borrow it about a year later. Got pulled over with a "fictitious licence plate". Spent a few hours in jail and had to pay a hefty fine, as the title was never transfered from my name. The cop said I should have checked the plates before borrowing it. Yea, that's going to happen!

Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 16,554 times
I sold a car 6 months ago signed the title over and can't find my bills of sales at the moment. It ended up breaking down and the police came to my house saying it was coming up registered in my name still and it will be towed tomorrow if I don't come get it and that I would have to pay the bill. It's not mine too tow, I don't want it, and I also don't want the guy driving it registered in my name. What would be the best thing to do?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
These sorts of questions depend on the state. Each state handles it differently. So without listing what state you are in, not much to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive