Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:19 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So what's your hope for EVs and hybrids anyways?
At this time EVs aren't cost effective for the average income person. Whether or not one chooses to buy them is up to them. For average commuting, they're fine. For long distance driving, they're impractical. EVs are more expensive than hybrids and gasoline powered vehicles of the same size and features and they have less range than hybrids and gasoline powered vehicles. The other thing to consider is the raw materials used to make the batteries for electric and hybrid vehicles. Where are they mined from, how are they mined, and can they be recovered or recycled once the vehicle battery is no longer serviceable? Perhaps the technology and infrastructure will gradually change to allow fast charging in nearly all service stations and thus make EVs practical for long distance driving. Perhaps the batteries for EVs and hybrids will no longer be made from materials strip-mined from countries that offer no environmental protection controls for their mining industry. Perhaps all or most of these battery materials can be recovered and reused in new batteries thus reducing the demand for mined materials. Until then I'll be doing my part by properly maintaining my vehicle, drive in as efficient manner as possible without being inconsiderate to other drivers, and keep my vehicle for no less than 10 years. I've done things to my home to make my highest electric bill no more than $120 and I'm in a nearly 20 year old mobile home in south Louisiana with no shade trees and my home is all electric. I do these things because I choose to do so of my own free will. I offer to help my neighbors lower their electric bill if they wish. None care enough to bother so I don't bother them with this beyond my initial offer. Unlike Vegans, I'm not going to push my beliefs onto others on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times
I wonder how auto racing, car culture and pleasure driving all affect the process.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
At this time EVs aren't cost effective for the average income person. Whether or not one chooses to buy them is up to them. For average commuting, they're fine. For long distance driving, they're impractical. EVs are more expensive than hybrids and gasoline powered vehicles of the same size and features and they have less range than hybrids and gasoline powered vehicles. The other thing to consider is the raw materials used to make the batteries for electric and hybrid vehicles. Where are they mined from, how are they mined, and can they be recovered or recycled once the vehicle battery is no longer serviceable? Perhaps the technology and infrastructure will gradually change to allow fast charging in nearly all service stations and thus make EVs practical for long distance driving. Perhaps the batteries for EVs and hybrids will no longer be made from materials strip-mined from countries that offer no environmental protection controls for their mining industry. Perhaps all or most of these battery materials can be recovered and reused in new batteries thus reducing the demand for mined materials. Until then I'll be doing my part by properly maintaining my vehicle, drive in as efficient manner as possible without being inconsiderate to other drivers, and keep my vehicle for no less than 10 years. I've done things to my home to make my highest electric bill no more than $120 and I'm in a nearly 20 year old mobile home in south Louisiana with no shade trees and my home is all electric. I do these things because I choose to do so of my own free will. I offer to help my neighbors lower their electric bill if they wish. None care enough to bother so I don't bother them with this beyond my initial offer. Unlike Vegans, I'm not going to push my beliefs onto others on a regular basis.

That's what I want to hear

So, what I imagine the automotive industry and other transportation industries as well, what they can do is keep on having the safety and emission tests, teach people the importantance of economizing your fuel(The flying Industry is doing this with weight capacity restrictions) and just stabilize electric vehicle technology.

Also, don't rush the technoloyy. Maybe electric cars would have come first if the process took another 3 decades or so, and you can even see this effect with automated cars.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
There was the man that put an electric motor in his car. The biggest problem was that after he crossed the RR tracks the trains ran over and cut his extension cord.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Does our mobility really need to be restricted? How else will the world get its trade going again?
I think you're muddling the question, there. But ultimate sustainability means capping pollution and all but ending use of nonrenewable energy sources... while meeting world needs. Transportation, especially in the form of individual cars (using pretty much any power source) is probably the biggest drag on reaching sustainability. They're also the area in which the biggest immediate gains can be made at the lowest overall effort and cost (precisely because they are such a big part of non-sustainability).

But too many of those who champion even limited sustainability see no answer but 'locality' - we have to live, eat, work, study and die within a very small radius like a dense urban landscape, eliminating nearly all powered transportation from our lives. Worthy goal, get back to me in a century. Until then... getting our transportation infrastructure far more energy-efficient and able to use renewable sources is the biggest, easiest step in the right direction. Not that there are any really easy steps...

Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:

That's what I want to hear

So, what I imagine the automotive industry and other transportation industries as well, what they can do is keep on having the safety and emission tests, teach people the importantance of economizing your fuel(The flying Industry is doing this with weight capacity restrictions) and just stabilize electric vehicle technology.

Also, don't rush the technoloyy. Maybe electric cars would have come first if the process took another 3 decades or so, and you can even see this effect with automated cars.
What emission test not in my state we got rid of it in the 90’s.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I think you're muddling the question, there. But ultimate sustainability means capping pollution and all but ending use of nonrenewable energy sources... while meeting world needs. Transportation, especially in the form of individual cars (using pretty much any power source) is probably the biggest drag on reaching sustainability. They're also the area in which the biggest immediate gains can be made at the lowest overall effort and cost (precisely because they are such a big part of non-sustainability).

But too many of those who champion even limited sustainability see no answer but 'locality' - we have to live, eat, work, study and die within a very small radius like a dense urban landscape, eliminating nearly all powered transportation from our lives. Worthy goal, get back to me in a century. Until then... getting our transportation infrastructure far more energy-efficient and able to use renewable sources is the biggest, easiest step in the right direction. Not that there are any really easy steps...
The ironic thing is those who ***** and whine about sustainability in the transportation industries use a vehicle to commute themselves.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
The ironic thing is those who ***** and whine about sustainability in the transportation industries use a vehicle to commute themselves.
And watches his tv that use electricity that is produce by coal a fossil fuel.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And watches his tv that use electricity that is produce by coal a fossil fuel.
Now the question is, say the United Nations says we need to stop usage of all our transportation supply globally because global warming, what would the solution be here?

2nd question: What does this mean for the auto Industry especially?

Old 09-26-2018, 06:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Why do cars and other transportation sectors get so much stigma in sustainability?

Because, as with Vegans and other extremely self-righteous groups, the mindset of the "urban planning" crowd really isn't about "sustainability", let alone efficiency -- it's about power.

"Let me remind you, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." (John Dahlberg / Acton)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive