Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
hybrid choices have not overcome the cost differential for us.
a +35 MPG ICE @ $10K less than comparable Hybrid wins.
You don't understand what hybrid tech brings. In a real world test not a a perfect world test, a hybrid will win the mpg battle against ICE engine with similar rated MPG.

In a traffic jam a hybrid wins all day against ICE. Anytime more braking is used a hybrid wins.

ICE can keep up with hybrid if the condition is perfect with very little braking.

Go check out Fuelly website and show me what ICE can hit 45mph regularly.

I frequently hit 47MPG on my Prius while driving it hard, if I go easy on the car I can hit 52MPG.

A hybrid wins on maintenance, uses less brake pads and less engine wear than ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
hybrid choices have not overcome the cost differential for us.
a +35 MPG ICE @ $10K less than comparable Hybrid wins.
No conventional gasoline car gets 35mpg in real world mixed driving. Pure highway at 65mph, yes.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The latter is becoming more common now, with the hybrids not getting much better mileage, but the additional power from the electric motors boosting overall horsepower and torque.

For example, the Cadillac CT6 plugin Hybrid gets 23/29 MPG with 335 horsepower. The standard 2.0 is 265 HP, and gets 22/30 mpg. Just one less mpg.
I have noticed this also. However, that comes at the expense of more complexity, and potentially more maintenance, but that assumes you keep the car for a longish time (more than three to five years).

Old 09-27-2018, 09:29 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have noticed this also. However, that comes at the expense of more complexity, and potentially more maintenance, but that assumes you keep the car for a longish time (more than three to five years).
The complexity of a hybrid system isn't that bad. Turbochargers are more complex. Maintenance for brakes and the engine is less

Old 09-27-2018, 10:24 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't understand what hybrid tech brings. In a real world test not a a perfect world test, a hybrid will win the mpg battle against ICE engine with similar rated MPG.

In a traffic jam a hybrid wins all day against ICE. Anytime more braking is used a hybrid wins.

ICE can keep up with hybrid if the condition is perfect with very little braking.

Go check out Fuelly website and show me what ICE can hit 45mph regularly.

I frequently hit 47MPG on my Prius while driving it hard, if I go easy on the car I can hit 52MPG.

A hybrid wins on maintenance, uses less brake pads and less engine wear than ICE.

Until that warranty expires and you try to figure how to troubleshoot a hybrid.

7-10yr old used car

ICE- Engine ($4-5K+) or Transmission ($2-4k) could fail
Hybrid-Engine($4-5K+), Generator ($1-2K), CVT transmission ($2-5K) , Battery ($3-5K+) could fail.
Full Electric-Electric motor ( - K) Battery (5-10K+)

This is what stopped me from getting a used Hybrid, having to worry about the cost of a Battery along with the engine ad transmission, since so many Hybrids use CVT's.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:43 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Until that warranty expires and you try to figure how to troubleshoot a hybrid.

7-10yr old used car

ICE- Engine ($4-5K+) or Transmission ($2-4k) could fail
Hybrid-Engine($4-5K+), Generator ($1-2K), CVT transmission ($2-5K) , Battery ($3-5K+) could fail.
Full Electric-Electric motor ( - K) Battery (5-10K+)

This is what stopped me from getting a used Hybrid, having to worry about the cost of a Battery along with the engine ad transmission, since so many Hybrids use CVT's.
A 200,000 mile old battery has a minor impact on performance. Should you need to replace it why would you go buy a new one from the dealer at the cost of thousands instead of a used one from a salvage yard for $500? It's a fairly straight forward DIY as well. Remove the trunk plastics, unplug, replace.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...d-up/index.htm

Do wish that the CR-Z had been more successful that offered a hybrid with a manual transmission.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
The undercurrent to all of this is that the established makers can build any kind of car they want - IC, diesel, hybrid or electric. About 90% of the tech remains the same regardless of engine type. They continue to build larger, mostly IC cars because that's what the market is buying (also because the profit margin is highest on this old, long-amortized tech.)

But the day the curve tips to, say, EVs as it already is tipping to hybrids... they'll do a 20% redesign of their lines and keep going with their massively entrenched position. Which is why I wouldn't want to be, say, a tech mogul trying to play in the automaker sandbox with San Jose tech industry thinking.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:07 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
The Prius, Insight, and Ioniq are all underpowered and dangerously slow. They're not taking advantage of one of the main benefits of hybridization, horsepower without an efficiency penalty! I had a C-Max that had about 200hp combined and it was quick in the city and highway and got 45mpg in pretty much all driving conditions.
Not really. My Prius V is perfectly adequate. On the highway, its actually preferable to my wife's Civic ICE because it doesn't have to gear hunt.

No, I'm not winning any races but I never get worried about it getting up to speed to merge or pass. I can't say the same about other cars I've had.

I'm not sure what you mean by dangerously slow. One cat set in at 80 quite comfortably.

The biggest drawback of the Prius V is that its kind of loud inside.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:23 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
This thread is on fire.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:31 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
So is hybrid vs ICE the new PC vs console or what lmfao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive