Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times

Advertisements

Before you say it, yes I know... it's Fiat... "Fix it again Tony", I got it.

That being said, wife and I are looking for a "fun", throwaway car to take places on the weekends. We both own newer, reliable daily driver cars, but they aren't what we would consider "fun" to drive. They are very practical.

The Fiats are cheap, come with a manual transmission, and if we leased one, would be covered under warranty for the duration of the lease. I don't know much about Fiat reliability, but from what I have researched on the web, it's kind of a mixed bag... most owners say they are decently reliable as long as you maintain them regularly, but that the longevity of the car is nowhere near Honda or Toyota levels. In other words, if you get 100k miles out of them before major repairs, that's about right. Occasional minor-moderate repairs (body trim, starters, engine mounts, wheel bearings etc) are typical between 60-100k miles.

Anyway, that's what I have read on the car, but would like to get some other opinions. One of my big concerns has to do with the company's poor sales numbers in the US... some are speculating that Fiat may go out of business in the coming years. I'm curious how that would affect a lease or warranty (assuming Chrylser would pick them up?)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Before you say it, yes I know... it's Fiat... "Fix it again Tony", I got it.

That being said, wife and I are looking for a "fun", throwaway car to take places on the weekends. We both own newer, reliable daily driver cars, but they aren't what we would consider "fun" to drive. They are very practical.

The Fiats are cheap, come with a manual transmission, and if we leased one, would be covered under warranty for the duration of the lease. I don't know much about Fiat reliability, but from what I have researched on the web, it's kind of a mixed bag... most owners say they are decently reliable as long as you maintain them regularly, but that the longevity of the car is nowhere near Honda or Toyota levels. In other words, if you get 100k miles out of them before major repairs, that's about right. Occasional minor-moderate repairs (body trim, starters, engine mounts, wheel bearings etc) are typical between 60-100k miles.

Anyway, that's what I have read on the car, but would like to get some other opinions. One of my big concerns has to do with the company's poor sales numbers in the US... some are speculating that Fiat may go out of business in the coming years. I'm curious how that would affect a lease or warranty (assuming Chrylser would pick them up?)

Thoughts?
The ones who say these things you read on here don’t really know because they never had one they like most only read about them and believe what they read. Great idea to lease one that way you are covered under the warranty for the lease term. Don’t listen to other on here it’s your money and do what you want other are pretty good trying to tell others what to buy.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Having a warranty is great, but there is still going to be the inconvenience of having no car all those times it will be in the shop. And it will spend lots of time in the shop.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Having a warranty is great, but there is still going to be the inconvenience of having no car all those times it will be in the shop. And it will spend lots of time in the shop.

Actually the Abarth owners I know rarely have the cars in the shop. And I know quite a few.

OP, the 500 Abarth is a really fun car that you can get dirt cheap. The interior bits are a bit plasticky, but at the price point, that should not be an issue. The sound they make is glorious and they handle excellent.

This one belongs to a friend of mine and it's his daily driver. He's had nothing but fun with it...

https://rbp.f0e.net/attachments/img_...095107_233.jpg

Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Neighbor has a 124 Abarth https://www.fiatusa.com/abarth-spider.html
Looks great and is a blast to drive. Not entirely sure I would choose one over the Miata it is built around though. Funny how they still claim it's "an Italian roadster from the top down". Despite being largely Japanese.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
Drive it, if you like it, lease it. Many people on here are stuck in the past, and can offer only their very biased opinions They are often unable to provide an objective comment.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Drive it, if you like it, lease it. Many people on here are stuck in the past, and can offer only their very biased opinions They are often unable to provide an objective comment.
Well, they are currently bottom of the barrel reliability wise despite their few offerings. But 2018's bottom of the barrel is markedly better than say the 1980s barrel.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Actually the Abarth owners I know rarely have the cars in the shop. And I know quite a few.

OP, the 500 Abarth is a really fun car that you can get dirt cheap. The interior bits are a bit plasticky, but at the price point, that should not be an issue. The sound they make is glorious and they handle excellent.

This one belongs to a friend of mine and it's his daily driver. He's had nothing but fun with it...

https://rbp.f0e.net/attachments/img_...095107_233.jpg
Yeah I'm liking the Abarth a lot. You are making this an easier decision for me.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
The one thing stopping me from a 500 is the size. I’m a big dude. You guys ever see that toy with a gorilla in a tiny car? It would be life that but life size. I can probably wear a 500 as a roller skate

Old 09-26-2018, 12:36 PM

I'm 6'7 and actually fit in the 500 pretty well. The Abarth's exhaust note has no business sounding that good for such a small engine/car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands