Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,621,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Hello, looking to purchase 2018 F150, XL, labeled new, but has 2500 miles on it. Price is good at 30,900, with MSRP at 41K. Can I expect to go lower, how much should be deducted from a "demo" car. Want to purchase now, expect 0% financing to go bye bye in October.
The modern Ford F150 XL has to be evaluated for its intended use. It is now a highway vehicle. The modern Ford F150 XL is useless offroad in rugged conditions. There is a problem with the throttle body that is defective and the bottom structure is very weak. The bottom has parts made of some strange composite that feels like a box. It easily tears on rugged dirt roads. It is weakly designed. I am a mechanical engineer.

This was surprising to me because the 1990s Ford Ranger was really tough offroad. I was in my 20s and drove that small truck recklessly across the rough dirt roads of rural AZ in the mountains and deserts. I then moved to Colorado and drove it through a blizzard with studded tires for ice conditions. The 1990s Ford Ranger was awesome.

The modern Ford F-150 is only a highway vehicle now. DO NOT take it offroad to a rugged trail with rocks, uneven bumps, logs, mud slick, etc. It will go out quickly with its weak structure. The modern F-150 XL is designed to save fuel, so it was made lighter with weaker parts. It gets very good gas mileage compared to 1990s trucks, but is no longer useful offroad.

To be fair, the Ford F-150 Raptor Trim is exclusively built for offroad and has the very tough structure and design for the desert, mountains, snow, mud, etc. It was demonstrated in the Baja extreme offroad race and finished in the time limit. But the Raptor is very expensive. You may as well put money down on a house for that amount. It is also too large and heavy for driving in the crowded metro areas (in my opinion).

I miss the 1990s Ford Ranger than I bought for less than 10,000 dollars. It was able to handle the brutal offroad conditions of Arizona even though it was just a 4-cylinder two-wheel-drive truck. Maybe Ford will bring the Ranger Raptor to the US. That trim is very popular overseas.

Stay on the highway if you have the F-150. Be sure to ask about the throttle body conditions and various composite parts which have weakened the underbody structure.

As for me, I traded in my F-150 XL for a Chevrolet Colorado which is as tough as the 1990s Ford Ranger once was. I prefer the Chevy trucks now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,162,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ask to see the MSO & Inventory date

Offer them $ 800 over invoice including incentives.

Hard to believe that a dealer would put a " XL " in demo service

What is the best way to learn the invoice price ?

MSO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive