Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 06:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The union hatter is back.
I was a union man for twelve long years but I certainly did not make hats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 04:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with this, but I took my first trip to the UK this year, and we were pretty surprised that there were NO American cars on the road. This stinks of an imbalance.

Even the cab drivers drove Mercedes.
Ford is American and Ford cars are everywhere in the UK, Ireland and Europe, granted Ford cars in Europe are designed and built in Europe and the cars are often not even sold in the USA but Ford is American.

I love Ford myself, think they are better than volkswagen though not as good as Honda, I've never rated anything GM have sold in Europe however, Ford has always easily beaten GM when it comes to sales in Europe, they have pulled out of the European market now completely having sold opel - vauxhall to Peugeot.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Getting the Japanese to buy Detroit 3 cars is like asking Americans to buy Yugos again.

The Japanese build the best cars in the world. Why would they want to waste their money on American iron?
Plus the Japanese are every bit as patriotic as Americans in their own way.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You can’t compare Korean cars to Japanese cars, there’s a big difference. I have owned both, and even after all these years the Koreans still haven’t caught up with the Japanese in quality.
Mechanically the difference is quite narrow, that said the cabin plastics in hyundai are cheap to the touch compared to Toyota, Asian cars are often boring however, the germans do the best internal and external finish, pity the engines are often mediocre, Italians make better engines than germans but German engineering has such a good reputation, it matters not a jot.Italian cars are under rated in my opinion and incredibly good value second hand, the electrics can be quirky but engines are great and finish elegant. Cars that make you smile.

As for French cars, very comfortable but reliability is a little lacking

Last edited by irish_bob; 10-02-2018 at 04:31 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Nope. Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for most of Europe, Africa, and Japan are built in Kew, England.
Jeeps for Central and South America are built in Valencia, Venezuela.
Love the jeep grand cherokee, great fiat engine in them since circa 2011,they had a Mercedes engine for a decade or so and it was decidedly average.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The domestics actually make some good cars for Europe that I would like them to offer here.
Can you buy the following in America.

1. Ford fiesta = small hatchback

2 Ford focus = mid sized hatch or saloon - sedan

3. Ford mondeo = large saloon - sedan

4. Ford kuga = small suv

All are market leaders or top three in each class, all are very good cars

We also have the Ford ranger which is a pick up truck though over here, its mostly farmers and construction workers who buy pick ups

Old 10-02-2018, 07:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

4. Ford kuga = small suv

We also have the Ford ranger which is a pick up truck though over here, its mostly farmers and construction workers who buy pick ups

Yes to all of them (the Mondeo is badged Fusion over here and the Kuga is now the Escape here)

Old 10-02-2018, 10:16 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Plus the Japanese are every bit as patriotic as Americans in their own way.
I have to disagree, about Japanese being as patriotic as Americans. I lived in Japan, and saw very little patriotism. It's more simple then that. Japanese are perfectionists. They want the best quality. And I think most Americans (not all, but most) would agree that American cars are not up to the quality of Japanese cars. So why should Japanese spend more money to buy an expensive imported car that is inferior to their domestic cars? It makes no sense. It would be like Russians bitching and whining that Americans don't buy enough Russian cars. I think the response from most Americans would be, try manufacturing a decent car, that we want to buy, and we will think about it.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:

4. Ford kuga = small suv

I have seen a lot of #1 and #2. Not so much #3 and #4.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
All that he is saying is if japan sells cars and motorcycles in the united states and we charge no tarrifs or put crazy restrictions on them, then why the hell is Japan putting crazy restrictions and tarrifs on out cars and motorcycles. Trump being a business man doesn't thank this is fair and neither do I. Level the playing field or else, nice to have a president that stands up for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's just not true. They have 0 import tariffs on cars. You're being played by somebody...
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-japan/544991/
Yeah, Trumpf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive