Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:03 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people now share cars. Instead having multiple cars, they have one car that they share. If somehow schedules conflict then they take the ride share method. Problem is most people do not want a used car because they think its not reliable or they are clueless about cars in general. Car payment, insurance, gas and maintenance all costs an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I have seen the number of people who take an Uber even to the grocery store increasing here.
I've heard of people taking uber to work everyday, obviously you have to live in an urban area though
Quote:
For some people, taking an Uber to and from the office is cheaper than driving themselves, according to a study of 20 cities released Tuesday by personal finance site NerdWallet.com.

Don’t believe it? You would save this much money every week using Uber versus your own car if you live in one of these 8 cities: San Francisco ($83 saved per week), New York ($76), Chicago ($39), Detroit ($6), Washington D.C. ($35), San Diego ($16), Miami ($26), and L.A. ($27).

This can mean serious savings over the course of a year: In San Francisco, more than $4100, in New York more than $3700, in Chicago more than $1900.
https://moneyish.com/hoard/this-is-w...ave-you-money/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Buy a bike save even more
Can't drive a bike or moped on public freeways.

I love driving my corvette, wouldn't trade it for the world. But if society ever invents something cheaper than an uber but as convenient as a personal car, I'm all for it.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Where is the car purchase in your numbers, including depreciation, taxes, licensing, parking?

I drive nicer vars now,
but its VERY possible to buy a $2-$6k car, drive it 2 years and sell at enough of a profit to cover tax, title, and fees.
I did this over and over.

My 2006 ranger I bought a year ago was $12,500 and had 25,100 miles on it (Grandpa truck)

I chose this vehicle over several comparable Toyotas and Nissans by deducting the miles on the vehicle from 250k, and then dividing them from the purchase price.

ill be able to sell it for a few grand, so it'll cost LESS than the $0.055 /mile that'll amount to.

I don't pay for parking, I get free disabled vet tags, but those are about $20...

Way WAY under the $8k difference! (and id go broke getting Uber out to me!)

Old 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM

yea, no.

the VAST MAJORITY of those 4\5 your claiming that may 'not live rurally' ARE BETTER SERVED owning a car.
evidence: Not the number of car owners, but: The miles they drive. (as has already been explained to you and you ignored.)

I've lived (really, really) rurally and highly urban.
I CAN see living without a car in highly specific circumstances.
but its not cost effective for MOST people. To say nothing of convinance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No, but the (chosen) needs of something less than 1/5 the population shouldn't dictate the limitations on the other 4/5, either.

Not that anyone with an IQ near room temperature is trying to dictate any such thing; the endless arguments here as if the only condition is pickups or Priuses, owning cars or Uber, ICE or EV as a 100% blanket fiat for every person in the US is not only annoying beyond belief, but reduces most discussions here to something less productive than barroom babble at 1:00 am.

Wyoming can have pickups. LA can have Priuses. New Yorkers can take Uber. yes, no.What's the fraggin' problem, here?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
No kidding. I could write an article encouraging everyone to buy a snowblower and a back-up generator. It would be about as worthless.

Besides, I like cars. I have lots of 'em!
We have almost always had 3 (with 2 drivers) but currently only 2, looking for a 3rd (classic muscle). They are transportation, but also fun, and well worth the costs. Not everything is about the money, for me driving is more than getting from point a to point b. I will never have a self-driving car or use a ride share.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:19 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Any blanket/absolute statements are never helpful. But the spirit or underlying point he's trying to make is correct and carries a lot of weight. One of the dumbest financial decisions young adults make is to buy and new car and finance it on top of that. Especially with very steep deprecation curves and interest expense on top of it.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Any blanket/absolute statements are never helpful.

One of the dumbest financial decisions young adults make is to buy and new car and finance it on top of that. Especially with very steep deprecation curves and interest expense on top of it.
while I agree with the second statement, the pair together are hilarious!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Any blanket/absolute statements are never helpful. But the spirit or underlying point he's trying to make is correct and carries a lot of weight.
No, it doesn't. He's flat-out saying no one should buy a car; everyone should use public transportation or ride-share. While that may be some wonderful airy-fairy goal for dense urban areas, it's just short of telling people to ride a broom around.

That there are people who don't really need to buy a car, or that there are people who get into terrible financial trouble buying the wrong car the wrong way, does not in any way give weight to this pompous, nonsensical proclamation.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:57 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
There was a time when I didn’t own a car, but I was poor and life sucked. There’s no way I would recommend that as a lifestyle choice on purpose.

You could equally save even more money just eating Pop Tarts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but eventually you’ve got to ask what exactly is the point here?

Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,940,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I see a lot of people now share cars. Instead having multiple cars, they have one car that they share. If somehow schedules conflict then they take the ride share method. Problem is most people do not want a used car because they think its not reliable or they are clueless about cars in general. Car payment, insurance, gas and maintenance all costs an arm and a leg.
The only people I’ve ever seen ride sharing are people going to and from and airport and people bar hopping. I actually see more people who own more than one car these days than I’ve ever seen people with no cars unless they got a bunch of DUI’s or something.

For the most part, if a grown adult tells me they own no cars, I immediately lose respect for them and pretty much regard them as second class citizens not worthy of my time.
Unless of course they live in NYC, in which case owning a car sounds like a PITA so I wouldn’t blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive