Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 12:51 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
For the most part, if a grown adult tells me they own no cars, I immediately lose respect for them and pretty much regard them as second class citizens not worthy of my time.
Unless of course they live in NYC, in which case owning a car sounds like a PITA so I wouldn’t blame them.
Like they would care what you think. In urban areas, where a large percentage of Americans live (81% in the last census and constantly growing), more and more people are completely doing without cars. And a growing percentage of millennials, across the entire US, aren't even bothering to get their drivers license because they see a future completely without privately owned cars. In Seattle, San Francisco, NY, Portland, and other cities that matter, a surprisingly small percentage of urban residents own cars. They just don't need them and don't value them.

Rural residents still want cars. Small town and suburban residents still want cars. Great - go buy them. But their numbers continue to dwindle.

I'm sure the highly paid urban dwellers will be up at night worrying if the old guard considers them as second class citizens for not owning a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Like they would care what you think. In urban areas, where a large percentage of Americans live (81% in the last census and constantly growing), more and more people are completely doing without cars.
This is a misleading stat because it does not differentiate between what we generally regard as urban (city centers or something close to that density) and suburban areas (which can vary enormously in density and availability of stores, public transit etc.) Simply calling everything without two acres and a barn "urban" masks as much as it reveals.

And there is a considerable population in that "urban" range who are only marginally less able to do without a car than "rural" residents.

If anyone knows of a reliable census that breaks down population by a few more density categories, by all means post it. The USCB either/or one is not very helpful.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
I am not ready to give up my vehicle quite yet. I often travel out of town (by car) where air travel wouldn't be practical. Something about always getting into a stranger's car isn't that appealing to me. A vehicle is also a place to store stuff: a bag, change of clothes, contact solution, phone charger, place to set your bags while shopping many different places, etc. It's easier than carrying a backpack with you everywhere.

My vehicle is only worth approximately $4,000-5,000. I didn't drop comprehensive insurance immediately after paying the vehicle off, but I will drop it once my vehicle hits 200,000 miles. At that point you're pretty much on borrowed time - "lifetime" parts that are not part of your manual's maintenance schedule begin to make you aware of their presence, if you know what I mean.

I guess my reason I don't Uber for all my transportation is because I don't have to. That and motion sickness.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Like they would care what you think. In urban areas, where a large percentage of Americans live (81% in the last census and constantly growing), more and more people are completely doing without cars. And a growing percentage of millennials, across the entire US, aren't even bothering to get their drivers license because they see a future completely without privately owned cars. In Seattle, San Francisco, NY, Portland, and other cities that matter, a surprisingly small percentage of urban residents own cars. They just don't need them and don't value them.

Rural residents still want cars. Small town and suburban residents still want cars. Great - go buy them. But their numbers continue to dwindle.

I'm sure the highly paid urban dwellers will be up at night worrying if the old guard considers them as second class citizens for not owning a car.
People who don’t value cars are not valuable themselves. If you don’t get a liscense now because you think you’ll rent an Uber your whole life, that’s pretty retarded. I could care less if the “highly paid urban dwellers” stay up at night and worry anymore than I care what a squirrel thinks.

But otherwise this is outdated news. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bro...sus-shows/amp/

I’ve been in San Fransisco, Seattle, and NY traffic (Portland isn’t a city that matters), and I can say whoever isn’t owning a car is an extreme voiceless minority. This may come as a surprise but suburbs are actually growing not shrinking. Suburban sprawl isn’t going anywhere and everything is the same as it always has been. Not quite the myth perpetrated online I know.

Sure it’s fun clickbait by old people who have rare interactions with Millenianls to think they’re this odd species that perpetually rents and don’t believe in car ownership and eat avocado toast, takes an Uber to work, gets paid in Bitcoins, and only live in inner cities their entire life, but the reality is that stereotype is such a rare minority it’s pretty much meaningless. Oh, and few are “highly paid”.

Inner city urban dwellers only live in the inner city until they settle down, then move to the suburbs with good schools, buy X5’s, Q7’s, and Tahoe’s just like the generations before them.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:26 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Anything related to personal financial advise, issued through the mass media, has the same problem. It's all authored by people who live in a major population center, who have never lived anywhere else. It's one size fits all for them, and can range from whether to own a car, to how much money you need to retire.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Sure it’s fun clickbait by old people who have rare interactions with Millenianls to think they’re this odd species that perpetually rents and don’t believe in car ownership and eat avocado toast, takes an Uber to work, gets paid in Bitcoins, and only live in inner cities their entire life, but the reality is that stereotype is such a rare minority it’s pretty much meaningless. Oh, and few are “highly paid”.
Actually I work with millennials every day, since I employ several thousand of them in Seattle and the Bay Area. And many of the ones I talk with either look at a car as commodity transportation or couldn't imagine owning one. A lot of the residential real estate development is being built to specifically take advantage of public transport, and in many cases is doing away with parking and providing other amenities instead, such as bike lockers. Things are changing.

I love that 'rare minority' comment. This isn't Oklahoma or Montana.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Actually I work with millennials every day, since I employ several thousand of them in Seattle and the Bay Area. And many of the ones I talk with either look at a car as commodity transportation or couldn't imagine owning one. A lot of the residential real estate development is being built to specifically take advantage of public transport, and in many cases is doing away with parking and providing other amenities instead, such as bike lockers.
I love that 'rare minority' comment. This isn't Oklahoma or Montana.
Yes you work with a rare minority thus you think it’s a huge national trend. The entire population of San Fransisco and Seattle put together make up less than .4% of the US population. Maybe try venturing outside your bubble a little bit.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:51 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Irrelevant to the fact I think Kevin O'leary is probably the biggest d-bag celebrity I've ever seen, this is really stupid advice. The only time paying others to drive you around is cheaper than owning is if you drive a new luxury vehicle like he did, and pay others to do all your maintenance and repairs. One of the dumbest, most worthless articles I've ever seen written by one of the meanest, most worthless advice giving windbags ever.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Irrelevant to the fact I think Kevin O'leary is probably the biggest d-bag celebrity I've ever seen...
With that being the key word. He isn't a kindly financial planner telling you individual advice about your retirement and investments, he's a CELEBRITY!* looking for headlines, viewers and attention. Not the best basis for any kind of advice, be it legal, financial, medical or relationship. CELEBRITY! advisors get their ego stroking by making wild statements that generate clicks and memes.

* Celebrity: someone famous for being famous.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:

https://www.nycedc.com/blog-entry/ne...and-their-cars

Percentage of household car ownership in the 5 Boroughs of NYC (3.1 million households)
Manhattan 22%
Brooklyn 40%
Bronx 44%
Queens 62%
Staten Island 83%

These are not small percentages and NYC has one of the best mass transit systems in the USA. Manhattan has excellent mass transit and Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx have decent mass transit as it mostly goes through Manhattan.

The car ownership percentages are only going to be higher in most other US cities and cities like Houston and Phoenix are going to be pretty close to 100% household car ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive