Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:54 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
The Main hoop is behind the drivers head and in my case, behind the head rest of the seat.... for my head to hit the rollcage, it would first have to literally go through the seat. But, I guess this depends on the type of car you have. But, if you have a head rest, you really can't hit it with your head. I'll add, most run padding on the rollcage as well. It's readily available and cheap. This is all with a 5 or 6 pt cage.... a 10 pt cage wouldn't be much different, but would now have a bar running horizontal at the roofline and front windshield meet..... but that is too high for the head to go, unless of course you didn't have your harnass or seat belt on.

A funny car cage is a different animal.... you have to run a helmet with those.

Real problem with a rollcage, is that it eats space, especially the rear points. Mine go into my hatch, hence limiting space back there a little bit.

Just my opinion anyway.
A roll-bar (hoop behind the driver's and passenger's heads) is fine, for the reasons that you noted. This is what's commonly seen in streetable cars dual-purposed for occasional racing (SCCA or drag-racing). With a full cage, it's the horizontal roofline bar that's running along the top of the door. At least in my car, this bar is within striking-distance of my head, even with a 5-point harness. I can rotate my head without hitting the bar, but in a collision, the body is elastic... there aren't too many inches between skull and bar. Padding helps, but unless I'm sorely mistaken, competition-rated padding is intended only for use with a rated helmet.

Anyway, the point here isn't to bench-race about the minutiae of roll-cages, but to note two common themes with modified classic cars: (1) often, modifications intended for racing, impede the street-driving experience - and hence perhaps the car's value; (2) also often, modifications are particular to the owner's taste, and lack universal appeal, whereas the stock design, even if flawed, is universally acknowledged as baseline.

As a frequent visitor to drag-strips, I have been confounded by the observation, that most serious amateur race-cars are based on muscle cars. This seems to me to be odd, yet it's very common. Why odd? Because these cars are relatively large and heavy. They require extensive modification to be competitive. And such modification often reduce their market-value. I would have instead expected to see more Pintos and Vegas, more Datsuns and VWs - small and light cars, radically modified, with altered wheelbases and 500 cubic inch V8s. But those are quite rare. But then again, the truly fast cars - the ones running say 8's or faster in the quarter mile - are mostly tube-chassis anyway. They resemble the original muscle cars about as much as the NASCAR Camry resembles the one at the Toyota dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 02:58 PM

217 posts, read 382,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A roll-bar (hoop behind the driver's and passenger's heads) is fine, for the reasons that you noted. This is what's commonly seen in streetable cars dual-purposed for occasional racing (SCCA or drag-racing). With a full cage, it's the horizontal roofline bar that's running along the top of the door. At least in my car, this bar is within striking-distance of my head, even with a 5-point harness. I can rotate my head without hitting the bar, but in a collision, the body is elastic... there aren't too many inches between skull and bar. Padding helps, but unless I'm sorely mistaken, competition-rated padding is intended only for use with a rated helmet.

Anyway, the point here isn't to bench-race about the minutiae of roll-cages, but to note two common themes with modified classic cars: (1) often, modifications intended for racing, impede the street-driving experience - and hence perhaps the car's value; (2) also often, modifications are particular to the owner's taste, and lack universal appeal, whereas the stock design, even if flawed, is universally acknowledged as baseline.

As a frequent visitor to drag-strips, I have been confounded by the observation, that most serious amateur race-cars are based on muscle cars. This seems to me to be odd, yet it's very common. Why odd? Because these cars are relatively large and heavy. They require extensive modification to be competitive. And such modification often reduce their market-value. I would have instead expected to see more Pintos and Vegas, more Datsuns and VWs - small and light cars, radically modified, with altered wheelbases and 500 cubic inch V8s. But those are quite rare. But then again, the truly fast cars - the ones running say 8's or faster in the quarter mile - are mostly tube-chassis anyway. They resemble the original muscle cars about as much as the NASCAR Camry resembles the one at the Toyota dealer.
Yeah, I agree on the muscle car observation at the dragstrip. They're fat, plus they're bricks. But, they put enough motor, plus power adder behind them and they run good despite the limitations. I still scratch my head. A big thing happening is taking anything from the 80's and putting a LSX+Turbo in it and running hard. Cheap is a big part of it.

I race a lot and most of my friends have 8 second and even 7 second cars nowadays (More are now going into the 7's).... they race in the True Street/Outlaw True Street and Small tire classes in no-preps (and preps)..... and without tube chassis. The curve has been moved....used to be tube chassis cars for those speeds, but now they're just regular cars with a beefed up rear and a power glide. The evolution of Turbo's are mostly to blame for this advancement. Crazy how fast people are nowadays. 8 seconds is the new 10 second pass.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
I'd pass on the Camaro. I like them just not with that cowl. Roll cage an issue too of I was shopping I'd keep lookin.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Appears to be a 1967 Camaro, I'm pretty sure 67 was the one and only year the Camaro had a wing vent window set up. I personally don't care for the cage in it, not for a street car, instant turn off for me. I also don't care for the huge cowl induction hood either, maybe one with a 2 inch rise but no higher. It would look better to me if it had the factory spoilers on each end, at least the rear one for sure. Lastly the wheels aren't something I'd pick for it either. I do like 67-68 Camaros, but there are other cars I'd rather have if I had a choice.

No side-marker lights also marks it as a '67. I had a '68, don't think it had wing vent windows but it was a long time ago. Had a 250c.i. six and 3 on the floor, drove it from NJ to CA and back, had a blast.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
The Camaro is okay, looks like a quality job, just not my personal taste.

If I was to have a Camaro, I'd rather it be an early 1970s split-bumper model.

I would rather have a Buick GNX or a '93 Fox Body Cobra if it had to be American. Come to think of it, I'd take an E36 M3 over all of the previously mentioned. I love my American trucks, but when it comes to cars my heart is at home in Deutschland.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The Camaro is okay, looks like a quality job, just not my personal taste.

If I was to have a Camaro, I'd rather it be an early 1970s split-bumper model.

I would rather have a Buick GNX or a '93 Fox Body Cobra if it had to be American. Come to think of it, I'd take an E36 M3 over all of the previously mentioned. I love my American trucks, but when it comes to cars my heart is at home in Deutschland.
Though most will excoriate me for saying this, I think that the E36 M3 is the kinsman of the 1967 Z/28 Camaro. The execution is starkly different, but the philosophies are similar. They're both icons of their age, with the 2018 model of each being vastly more capable in theory, but softened and less visceral.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No side-marker lights also marks it as a '67. I had a '68, don't think it had wing vent windows but it was a long time ago. Had a 250c.i. six and 3 on the floor, drove it from NJ to CA and back, had a blast.
Correct. The 68 had side marker lights, no vent window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive