Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:11 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times

Advertisements

Someday, I’d like to drive and own a “nice” car. I mean, something like the AMG GT 63 or a Panamera Turismo. It’s a stretch dream, not logical but, maybe doable in a few years.

I’m not particularly grounded in either brand. I owned a little 924S from 1986 to 1993 and currently drive a Macan S which is a beautiful sapphire blue. I’ve never owned a Mercedes.

My knock in the current AMG 4 door series is the only paint options, to be confirmed, appears to the the matt version. The 2 doors has matt but there were conventional options also the last time I looked.

Beyond my wants and wishes, I hadn’t thought about it much more until this article popped up in my news feed: Lexus Reveals Why Owning Matt Paint Is A Total Pain

If the article of the care required is accurate, it’s not a huge deal. I hand-wash and dry the Macan regularly and the paint is strictly a preference. Does anyone here currently own a matt-painted car? I’d appreciate your impressions to provide a bit of real-world experience and balance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Many years ago, I had a 1966 Barracuda that was painted with flat black lacquer, with most of the chrome removed.
It made for a great looking car, but after a couple of years the lacquer started "chalking" if it wasn't washed twice a week. It probably should have been thoroughly washed, lightly sanded, and a clear coat applied.
But, I traded it for a Honda motorcycle about that time, so it wasn't my problem anymore.
I doubt if the types of cars you are looking at will have a "chalking" problem, I mention it just to show that, yes, some of us like the Matte (flat, not shiny) finish.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 AM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
There’s no way the only paint versions of 4 door AMG’s are matte. Here’s from the build site.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...b=tab-exterior

I did see a black matte version of this car, I like it. The owner had it for 1k miles and said he wanted something faster. Traded it in for a new Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
At first I thought the matte paint on cars would look tacky (like someone spray painting a car with cans), but turns out, it looks great, as long as its the right type of car...wouldnt look right on a chevy malibu or a minivan!...but on a nice sports car, YES.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Many years ago, I had a 1966 Barracuda that was painted with flat black lacquer, with most of the chrome removed.
It made for a great looking car, but after a couple of years the lacquer started "chalking" if it wasn't washed twice a week. It probably should have been thoroughly washed, lightly sanded, and a clear coat applied.
But, I traded it for a Honda motorcycle about that time, so it wasn't my problem anymore.
I doubt if the types of cars you are looking at will have a "chalking" problem, I mention it just to show that, yes, some of us like the Matte (flat, not shiny) finish.
I loved the old Barracudas and even the Dodge Chargers prior to 1968. Big ole fastbacks! I'm guessing there won't be a chalking problem either. lol Glad you like them. I did see a AMG GT-R in the green hell matt. Still not impressed... I like 'em shiny but appreciate your tastes in cars.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times
*matte

Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There’s no way the only paint versions of 4 door AMG’s are matte. Here’s from the build site.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...b=tab-exterior

I did see a black matte version of this car, I like it. The owner had it for 1k miles and said he wanted something faster. Traded it in for a new Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid.
Great! I like the look of the Pamanara Sport Tursimo version too.

I could be wrong but I don't think the build site is up for this particular version and since they're a 2019 model, I don't think any are in the US yet. That's not to say that the one you saw wouldn't be similar in finish and color to what's coming.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
At first I thought the matte paint on cars would look tacky (like someone spray painting a car with cans), but turns out, it looks great, as long as its the right type of car...wouldnt look right on a chevy malibu or a minivan!...but on a nice sports car, YES.
Looking forward to seeing one in person. I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
*matte
#Metoo but the article spelled it differently so I went with it. I should have stuck with 'matte'.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:11 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I'm also not a fan of matte paint, and also REALLY hate black wheels (they just look like dirty wheels).

Old 10-01-2018, 01:22 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm also not a fan of matte paint, and also REALLY hate black wheels (they just look like dirty wheels).

Then you'll hate my kid's hot rod pickup that we built together...

Pretty quick with its modded 6.0 LS2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive