Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:53 AM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times

Advertisements

The top placard that pops up when one clicks the link says for "normal loads 32 psi front and back" & For "Max load 36 front 44 rear." are you carrying around a thousand pounds of cargo in the back all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah.

Unless you're running max load the tires should be 32/32 front/rear. Don't know what the maximum cargo load is, but it's probably 1/2 ton or more. Explains the ride too, the tires are over pressure for the load being carried.

Seems the error lies between the screen and chair.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Must be a fact that low profile tires with large rims could potentially also harm suspension

Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I run 17" rims (+1" over stock) and 205/40 (lower profile to retain rotating diameter) on my MX-5 at 29psi. That's not the reason.

There are exceptions, but vehicles with low-profile tires often recommend higher cold pressures than those with higher profile, 'regular' tires. The wider treads require more air pressure to maintain even road contact than narrower, taller rubber.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You may want to check the owners manual as well as the decal inside the gas cap cover. I believe the pressures you are seeing on the door placard are the MAX tire pressure with the actual ranges listed in the other areas I mentioned.
Incorrect. The door placard/glove compt/gas cap pressures are the vehicle mfg's recommended cold pressures. What is stamped on the tire itself is the max cold pressure.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why do car tires take 44 or even 51 psi?
It may seem odd that the majority of modern car tires take 44 or even 51 psi max pressure, while most cars specify 35 psi or even less. Since we live in the foothills, we use the extra capacity to compensate for winding road driving and weight bearing, as stated above. However, the real reason for this has nothing to do with either: When cars are driven above 100 mph, the air pressure in the tire decreases, and more air must be put in the tire to compensate. So the real reason for the higher capacity in these tires is actually for driving at speeds over 100 mph, such as on the Autobahn!

https://www.souzastireservice.com/ti...-pressure.aspx

Those figures, and I assume we are talking about passenger vehicles here, sound suspiciously like the max cold pressure stamped on most passenger-metric tires, not recommended pressures.

I find it quite frustrating that the majority of people in this country do not know where to set the tire pressures in their personal vehicles, or where to find that information. Hint: It's not on the tires! I also think the tire is where the O.P. is looking. You need to open your driver's door amd look at the stickers below the striker.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 PM

672 posts, read 443,051 times
They're my cars and motorcycles.
I run whatever air pressures give me the best handling and best tire wear.
Those stickers can suck it.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Hint: It's not on the tires! I also think the tire is where the O.P. is looking. You need to open your driver's door amd look at the stickers below the striker.
I know where to look. It was the door decal. The only thing I am unsure of is if it was referring to a loaded vehicle. I don't recall ever seeing EIGHT numbers on any decal.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I know where to look. It was the door decal. The only thing I am unsure of is if it was referring to a loaded vehicle. I don't recall ever seeing EIGHT numbers on any decal.
What "eight" numbers are you referring to?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
They're my cars and motorcycles.
I run whatever air pressures give me the best handling and best tire wear.
Those stickers can suck it.
They may be your vehicles, but actual engineers arrived at those recommended cold pressures, assuming OEM tire size and speed ratings are maintained on the vehicles. The numbers on those placards weren't just pulled out of a hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive