Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 06:21 PM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
That's right.

No. Not if the engine is designed right. I know a few examples of older Honda engines with stop/start which have in excess of 600,000 miles.
I've got auto stop/start in my 2019 Forester. I am not losing any sleep over it wearing things out - am sure they beefed up appropriately for it. I don't have the dash display in front of me, but fuel savings are modest. Having said that, I don't see any downsides that are worth worrying about (for me), so I use it, think it's kind of cool, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 01:01 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Recently purchased a 2020 Kia Soul with this feature and have read up a bit to learn more about it. My original concern was battery drain and starter wear. From what I've read these shouldn't be concerns.

It does take some getting used to, when I first used it I'd notice some jerky starts. For smoother starts I reduce pressure to the break which allows the engine to re-start then engage the accelerator.

For those concerned with AC the engine will re-start after a period of time.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:13 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to activate start/stop in Park? I believe real fuel savings would occur as people often need to keep the motor running on a summer/or winter day on Park to maintain heat or cooling while they must pull over somewhere to do something or need to use power from the alternator for other reasons. If the motor would stop and only run when the compressor needs to operate to maintain temperature or the alternator needs to recharge the battery then that would make a good difference in fuel economy. It can also be a lifesaver if trapped by a blizzard as well.
Interestingly I don't seem to encounter any none hybrid vehicles that do this on Park. Though anyone knows whether it is possible to do it? I currently have a vehicle that has start/stop but not in park and just 2 minutes of sitting still in Park the fuel economy mpg calculator dropped by one mile per gallon based on 40 miles of driving after a fill up.

The real test on start/stop systems on fuel economy are vehicles that need to stop often but may need to idle to operate electrical components for extended amounts of time, i.e semi trucks, buses, paraplegic transit vans, ambulances both emergency and non emergency medical transport, taxis, limousines, rideshare(Uber/Lyft) police patrol cars, etc. in this case if idling can be reduced to the amount of time that extra power is needed to operate a/c or other large accessories I believe that would make a good amount of difference in the capital spent on fuel.
I think commercial vehicles as you listed, have a street weight reduction though. Commercial vehicles don't really have as much equipment as civilian passenger cars, most only carry communication equipment as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:23 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Read this article about stop and go don’t believe anyone on here because they are not automotive experts. there not automotive powertrain engineers . Some think they know everything about a new technology on a vehicle and how it works and they don’t even have a vehicle with the stop and go system.

Does Auto-Stop/Start Technology Wear Out Engine Components? | BestRide
I read the article and...……………….I can't believe this is actually happening...……but, for what I think is a first...…I agree with easy62.

There, I said it.

It's not that the article convinced about anything but rather, it affirmed my own experience with the start-stop technology on our 2018 VW Tiguan.

Even though we usually drive 3-10 mph over the posted speed limit, our Tiguan still consistently surpasses the EPA estimates by at least 10% and I think the start-stop technology may be a large contributing factor as to why.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:44 AM

701 posts, read 694,196 times
Range technology claims to put a stop to start/stop.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/?gcl...8aAsUMEALw_wcB

Old 10-26-2020, 09:26 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
I'm not a fan of the Start/Stop feature by any means (2019 VW Atlas SEL )

I've just made it a part of my pre flight routine, Push start, secure seat belt, push Start/Stop
button to deactivate ( has to be done every time engine shuts off )

With 140 day's of over 110 degrees this summer I can clearly tell the difference
when stopped and the A/C not cooling as well.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:07 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
I took an Lyft in a Mercedes GLC crossover like a week ago and it had this feature in which the car would literally turn off by itself if it was stopped for more than 1 minute, I think it also had a hybrid powetrain though I am not sure

Old 10-27-2020, 04:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
I own a 2000 Honda Insight, and it's a 20 year old car which turns the engine off whenever you're moving at less than 20mph. The feature is 100% seamless, and so it's shocking to me to hear people complaining about start/stop in cars two decades newer. The Insight also doesn't turn the engine off when you're demanding A/C or heat.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:17 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,298,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I own a 2000 Honda Insight, and it's a 20 year old car which turns the engine off whenever you're moving at less than 20mph. The feature is 100% seamless, and so it's shocking to me to hear people complaining about start/stop in cars two decades newer. The Insight also doesn't turn the engine off when you're demanding A/C or heat.
The Insight can move when the engine shuts down as it has the electric motor.

The start-stop system gives an impression to an owner of a 7-seater SUV that it's as economical as your Insight.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
The Insight can move when the engine shuts down as it has the electric motor.

The start-stop system gives an impression to an owner of a 7-seater SUV that it's as economical as your Insight.
It actually cannot move without the gas engine running. The electric motor is attached to the crankshaft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive