Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I just have to believe the start/stop systems add to maintenance, and repair costs, just like all the new systems like radar, back up cams, and more, and more computers, and displays. All can, and do go TI on occasion, and adds to the disposableness of newer cars. I guess people now look at vehicles as a five year hold, max?
You got that backwards. Disposable cars were anything earlier than the 90's. Their odometers didn't even go up to 100K. By 80K miles you just chucked it and got another new car for $5K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:59 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Newer cars in most of Europe are equipped with this system. It saves little on gas and does lot for the environment.

Idling to example in Germany is prohibited. I am sure they mastered that system.
“When operating a vehicle it is forbidden to produce
undue noise and avoidable air pollution from exhaust
fumes. Especially prohibited is the unnecessary idling of engines.” Not sure if anyone cares about in the US, though.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You got that backwards. Disposable cars were anything earlier than the 90's. Their odometers didn't even go up to 100K. By 80K miles you just chucked it and got another new car for $5K
Many older cars were/are able to be maintained by the owners, or kept on the road by low tech mechanics. Yes, I agree, however, that newer cars are higher mileage mostly due to metallurgy, and a few other factors. In any event, their complexity is both their strong point, and their downfall. All those computers, and electronics add to planned obsolescence.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:52 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Recently bought an F150 with this stupid start/stop. The only way to turn it off that I know of is a button on the dash that has to be pressed every frikin time you start the truck. Do I save any gas? Hail no. It is a PITA that is put there so Fords whole fleet of F series will save a bit.

I love the truck, comfortable and rides great but I'm not brand loyal (non of them pay me so why should I be), but if I don't find a way to permanently disable this stupid thing, I'm trading it in in next year for a Ram or Chevy. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I do that this winter, and I just made my second payment on it, it is that new but I hate that little feature so much.

Yep, good feature but I'm sure the .00000000000000009/10 gallon I'll save over the next 30 or so thousand miles (about 2 years) won't over ride the possible 500 +++++++++++ dollar starter that will fry just outside of warrantee.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
quote from CarTalk:

Tom: So I suspect, in your case, any money El Boyfriend saves on your fuel bill will eventually be eaten up by the cost of a new starter.
Ray: So here’s our advice: When you’re stopping for, say, two minutes or more, turn off the engine. That means you won’t turn it off at every traffic light. But you will turn it off if one of you runs into a store, or when you get stuck while one of those 6-mile-long freight trains full of bulgur wheat crosses the road in front of you.

link:
http://www.dispatch.com/article/20131116/news/311169831

Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I love the truck, comfortable and rides great but I'm not brand loyal (non of them pay me so why should I be), but if I don't find a way to permanently disable this stupid thing, I'm trading it in in next year for a Ram or Chevy. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I do that this winter, and I just made my second payment on it, it is that new but I hate that little feature so much.

Hate to break it to you, but both of them have this feature, with a button to disable it just like the Ford. Again, it's done to let the FLEET save a bunch of fuel, not so individual vehicles will save fuel. Get used to it.

Oh and the starters and systems are beefed up to make it work. Hybrids have been using this for a LONG time with no issues.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
How does the ac stay cold sitting in traffic if the engine isn’t running?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How does the ac stay cold sitting in traffic if the engine isn’t running?
Most A/C systems will still blow cold for a while, When the efficiency drops of, the automatic stop/start just kicks back on to keep the temp steady. Usually, though, at a light it's not stopped long enough to matter.

Source: cars I have had with stop/start, like the '14 MINI Cooper.

BTW, cars like my Volt have AC that works even when the engine isn't running at all, since I run the car in EV mode 99% of the time.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:03 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Start-stop is good for the economy, they sell more starters and batteries.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Start-stop is good for the economy, they sell more starters and batteries.
Unless the starter is built better. A brushless starter will easily outlast everything else in the car. Which they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive