Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:07 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

[quote=engineman;53275335]Start-stop is good for the economy, they sell more starters and batteries.[/QUOTE

If you say so because you have owned one right and you have had to replace your battery and starter right. Or you know someone right or you read it on the internet so it has to be true.

Last edited by easy62; 10-04-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Default Auto stop start engine vehicles

This is the first time I’ve experienced a vehicle with auto stop start. Right now I hate it. I understand the reasons, fuel savings, but I still don’t like the engine and HVAC shutting off at a stop. I’ve read that some companies are now including the option for the owner to disable this feature. Wish it was included in this vehicle I’m currently driving.

Do you like or hate this feature?
If stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident will it remain off the entire time or will it restart after a certain amount of minutes and for how long will it run before shutting off again?
Has there been cases of the engine not restarting when the brake pedal was released?
Does this cause excessive wear of the starter and related parts?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
My 2000 Insight manual transmission has auto-stop, and it works really well.

If the transmission is in neutral and you have your foot on the brake below 22mph, the engine is off. Take your foot off the brake and/or push it into gear and the engine is running again before you can push the clutch, so it's entirely seamless. I haven't yet had a hiccup in the ~100,000 miles I've had the car.

Set the climate control to "Auto" (rather than Economy) and it will keep the engine running all time so you have consistent A/C or heat, otherwise the car lets temperature swing a little more The car remembers which setting you used last.

The engine also starts back up if the battery drops below a certain level or the brake vacuum reserve drops below a certain level.

Auto-stop doesn't happen if the temperature outside is less than 40F.

The fuel savings in stop and go driving are pretty significant. Frankly I can't see ever wanting to disable it, as there's literally no inconvenience to me.

Edit: as for part wear, it's a brushless electric motor that does the starting rather than the garbage undersized brushed motors older cars used for starting, so it's a non-issue. The motor will easily out-last the rest of the car by an order of magnitude.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
My 2000 Insight manual transmission has auto-stop, and it works really well.

If the transmission is in neutral and you have your foot on the brake below 22mph, the engine is off. Take your foot off the brake and/or push it into gear and the engine is running again before you can push the clutch, so it's entirely seamless. I haven't yet had a hiccup in the ~100,000 miles I've had the car.

Set the climate control to "Auto" (rather than Economy) and it will keep the engine running all time so you have consistent A/C or heat, otherwise the car lets temperature swing a little more The car remembers which setting you used last.

The engine also starts back up if the battery drops below a certain level or the brake vacuum reserve drops below a certain level.

Auto-stop doesn't happen if the temperature outside is less than 40F.

The fuel savings in stop and go driving are pretty significant. Frankly I can't see ever wanting to disable it, as there's literally no inconvenience to me.

Edit: as for part wear, it's a brushless electric motor that does the starting rather than the garbage undersized brushed motors older cars used for starting, so it's a non-issue. The motor will easily out-last the rest of the car by an order of magnitude.
I’m in a 2016 Chevrolet Cruze LT right now. 6 speed auto and no automatic climate control.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
More computerized foolishness to contend with. No thanks.
Just one of the many reasons why I will never buy a new vehicle (Price is the number one issue. Can't afford it!)

Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is the first time I’ve experienced a vehicle with auto stop start. Right now I hate it. I understand the reasons, fuel savings, but I still don’t like the engine and HVAC shutting off at a stop. I’ve read that some companies are now including the option for the owner to disable this feature. Wish it was included in this vehicle I’m currently driving.

If stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident will it remain off the entire time or will it restart after a certain amount of minutes and for how long will it run before shutting off again?
Has there been cases of the engine not restarting when the brake pedal was released?
Not a chance I would purchase a vehicle that shuts off when you stop.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
I’ve bought a lot of new vehicles, but I won’t buy another , if this feature cannot be turned off.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Not a chance I would purchase a vehicle that shuts off when you stop.
I didn’t purchase this car. It’s a loaner.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
I didn’t purchase this car. It’s a loaner.
You probably just have to go through the screen menus to turn the start/stop off. You either look in the manual, or fish around for it.

Or you could google it.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:

I am pretty sure you can turn it off - google for your vehicle type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive