Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,240 times

Advertisements

Since everyone is hyping up AVs so bad, why not list the cons and pros of a the hypothetical system?

If you could please first add the cons and pros that would be wonderful, then add whatever extra comments you have after the cons and pros

The only cons and pros I can think

Pros
-Pehaps faster traffic flow
-Better reaction times when trying to stop at an intersection
-Better braking force
-Traffic lights could probably be a thing of the past
Cons

-More cost to the plan
-High chance of someone hacking the system
-How would you do an emergency stop?
-How would a flat tire be solved for another example to add?

And please, don't do a post biased towards human-driven vehicles or vice-versa, keep your post neutral as heck...

Whether or not the cons and pros outweigh eachother or how they play out is something we will be able to see more in depth when the system if it happens first gets implemented.

Last edited by Luciano700; 10-05-2018 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 10:15 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
First off the infrastructure is already controlled by a "network". There is nothing in the AV that requires any more than already exists.

It is likely that AVs will all have a communication capability but that is also local. In fact most traffic dealings will be local involving only a few vehicles. This communication capability is likely to become standard in all vehicles in the next decade.

The obvious and overpowering pro will be accident avoidance. A decrease in accidents and fatalities by up to an order of magnitude will not only drive the AV implementation but will pretty much pay for it.

The other major pro will be the reduction in operating costs by eliminating drivers. This will also be a con as eliminating drivers has societal costs.

An emergency button will simply bring the vehicle to a quick stop. At least initially that will be it. If you cannot count on the proper operation of the main system there is little else you can do. Later the capability of the emergency system may be enhanced or it may be possible to use a portion of the main system.

Hacking will not be a large problem. Relatively easily defensed against.

There will certainly be some strong resistance if and when the phase out of human drivers begins. A significant part of the population likes to drive and will not willingly give it up.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:10 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Since everyone is hyping up AVs so bad, why not list the cons and pros of a the hypothetical system?

If you could please first add the cons and pros that would be wonderful, then add whatever extra comments you have after the cons and pros

The only cons and pros I can think

Pros
-Pehaps faster traffic flow
-Better reaction times when trying to stop at an intersection
-Better braking force
-Traffic lights could probably be a thing of the past
LOL, yeah right. Better traffic flow? Like everytime the software crashes, and one of the vehicles will just stop in the middle of the road to reboot? Or for that matter everytime it comes to a situation that it can't analyze, it will just stop and hold up the traffic. Just a few situations which have already been documented.

Better reaction times? Tell that to the woman in Phoenix who got run over by one. Better break force, how can software improve brakes?

No traffic lights? So intersections will become like a figure eight race track? That should be fun.

There are no pros to self driving cars, only negatives.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:22 PM

OMG! This is going to be a wild thread

You guys didn’t even do the favor of following my wanted etiquette, but I am no mod so...

See I can’t even determine the good or bad by miles, it all just comes down to seeing a hypothesis animation of this...

Old 10-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
OMG! This is going to be a wild thread

You guys didn’t even do the favor of following my wanted etiquette, but I am no mod so...

See I can’t even determine the good or bad by miles, it all just comes down to seeing a hypothesis animation of this...
I was addressing that I think all of your pros fail logically.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL, yeah right. Better traffic flow? Like everytime the software crashes, and one of the vehicles will just stop in the middle of the road to reboot? Or for that matter everytime it comes to a situation that it can't analyze, it will just stop and hold up the traffic. Just a few situations which have already been documented.

Better reaction times? Tell that to the woman in Phoenix who got run over by one. Better break force, how can software improve brakes?

No traffic lights? So intersections will become like a figure eight race track? That should be fun.

There are no pros to self driving cars, only negatives.
You appear unaware of the fact the modern car has up to a hundred microprocessors and 14 million lines of code. Expensive models may have 100 million lines. So if your projections were remotely true the country would be at a standstill.

Vastly better response times. And vastly better control of the brakes.

And yes they will be able to manage conflicting traffic at an intersection. Actually child's play if you have the appropriate level of communication.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
I see the biggest hurdle as TRUST. Who has not needed a repair on their car? Who wants to be in a car with no driver and it messes up?

If perfected an AV would be a boon to people like my wife who has not driven for 5 years because her meds make her feel that would be unsafe. As it is presently if I were to go out feet first, she will have to beg friends when she needs a ride.

No rush on that latter event.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I see the biggest hurdle as TRUST. Who has not needed a repair on their car? Who wants to be in a car with no driver and it messes up?

If perfected an AV would be a boon to people like my wife who has not driven for 5 years because her meds make her feel that would be unsafe. As it is presently if I were to go out feet first, she will have to beg friends when she needs a ride.

No rush on that latter event.
Could you guys still list cons and pros with a subtraction bar like I did or is that too much to ask??? Thnx

Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Pro
Safety 30,000 LESS DEATHS AND 5 MILLION LESS CRASHES
Lower insurance cost
Smoother traffic flow
Better economics on vehicles that no longer have drivers
Some significant relief of parking problems
Double or more the capacity of parking garages
Allow all to use automobiles
No more impaired drivers
Better handling on ice and snow
Better braking
More flexible implementation for urban commutes. Replace light rail
Much better and more cost effective urban transit
Safer for pedestrians

Cons
Vehicle cost increase
Societal resistance
Some additional casualties in the implementation

Old 10-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You appear unaware of the fact the modern car has up to a hundred microprocessors and 14 million lines of code. Expensive models may have 100 million lines. So if your projections were remotely true the country would be at a standstill.

Vastly better response times. And vastly better control of the brakes.

And yes they will be able to manage conflicting traffic at an intersection. Actually child's play if you have the appropriate level of communication.
Yeah like the Google car that responded to a sandbag in the street by swerving into the side of a bus. Response can only come after perceived danger has been analyzed and an appropriate response has been determined. Good drivers tend to do that with automatic reflexes and instinct. Machines don't have automatic reflexes or instinct. Self driving cars are not as good as a human driver who anticipates danger before it happens, and is ready for it to happen, before it happens.

An example. Recently I was at a red light making a left turn from the right lane of two left turn lanes. A car infront of me suddenly turned on their turn signal maneuvered out of my lane and into the other lane. It was apparent to me that the driver was 1. not familiar with that intersection, 2. confused, 3. not aware that they were already in a left turn lane. That car had red flags all over it for me. As I made the turn, sure enough that car swung wide and cut me off in the middle of the turn. I had anticipated that would happen about 1.5 minutes before it did, and was able to react in plenty of time. Tell me that a self driving car is going to be able to anticipate a situation like that 1.5 minutes in advance. I'm not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive