Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Having one in the Midwest is not really practical because of the snow and ice , I’ve seen people try to open their sunroofs in the winter time when there is a ice build up and as soon as they try they burn out the motor because the ice has frozen it tightly to the roof.
OK, but that's kind of a common sense thing like not opening them in a deluge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I wont buy a car without one. That is my top deal breaker and in fact have had the dealer install them before taking ownership. I have never had any issues with them leaking or not functioning properly either. Unless its raining out, or its winter, my windows and sunroof are always open. I'm not much of an A/C guy, i prefer the fresh air.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:43 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Living in the Twin Cities ...

Have mine open quite a bit, at least when it is not raining/snowing, below 35-40 F degrees or a combo of high humidity and 90F + temps.

Even then, the only time I have the interior shade closed is when it is truly cold (say, -10 F). The additional sun allowed when the shade is open is great.

Have only had one car without a sunroof since the mid-'80s ... a great Honda Accord ... but was happy to get a sunroof again.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:50 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have sunroof in multiple cars but I never find them a necessity. I rarely see people use them. So why do people want them?
Sun. Air. Wind. Sun. Watch UFOs.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
OK, but that's kind of a common sense thing like not opening them in a deluge.
Yes but I’ve seen them open in the winter with snow flying people throw out their cigarette butts out of them. People do all kinds of stupid stuff while they are driving.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
I have sunroof in multiple cars but I never find them a necessity. I rarely see people use them. So why do people want them?
Honestly most people who have commented on mine just like the glass roof (shut, not open).

2004 model year, withstands heavy rains and automatic car washes, doesn't leak. No regrets getting a vehicle with a sunroof. I didn't buy the vehicle new so there's no appreciable "extra cost" that I can really calculate.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
...Watch UFOs.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:34 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
A lot of people like having a breeze without the loudness and buffeting from the side windows. Plus if you’re in a colder climate or live at a high latitude it might be nice to have a little extra sun exposure in the winter.

I don't really care for them, and I’d rather put the money somewhere else like more adjustable leather seats. I also don’t like it getting warm in my car, so the sunroof would be closed most of the time anyways. My husband is tall, and they cut too much headroom. They also let in a little more noise, but this has improved from previous years.

Most Japanese and Korean manufacturers tend to have them included in certain trims or large packages. American companies tend to have them as stand-alone options across more trim levels which makes it easier to customize the features that you want.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I use mine frequently....let the sunshine in!
Maybe that's one reason we don't like them, sun is only in July and August. We could call it a "cloudroof".

Old 10-10-2018, 01:50 PM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Quote:
Necessity is A to B. Which is 4 wheels and hand crank windows.
Sunroofs\Moonroofs, whatever you call them, open up the cabin so it does not feel like you're trapped in a tube.
That is why I use and like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive