Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You are spot on the manufacturer knows what gasoline to use in their vehicles they built the thing they know better than anyone else. Why do people always second guess the manufacturer I’ll never know.

I agree with following manufacturer recommendations. However, in fairness, the topic of E15 wasn't something the manufacturers considered in say, 2003, so it is a good discussion to have, because an owner's manual would not talk about E15 at all. It would not specifically say if it was approved or not approved. Again, I personally have said, if it is not specifically listed as ok, I wouldn't use it.. but we have to understand for older vehicles it will never be specifically be listed as ok even if it is ok. It simply was not an option at the time.

The reality is most manufacturers now have said you can use it in newer cars and you can't in older. Not because they know it is bad to use it in older cars, but because they don't know for sure if it is ok or not, and saying no is the safer choice. Consumers should probably make the safer choice as well, but that doesn't allow us to simply say "follow the manufacturer" in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:29 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Some gas stations I've been going to have all these "new-fangled" grades of gas so that I hardly know what to use! Which ones are okay for any car and which ones (besides diesel) are definitely only for cars specially made for them?

I'd like to know if a newer one might actually be good for my car but I don't want to mess it up - I have a 2005 Mazda RX-8 and a 2012 Mazda 6, if that makes a difference.
Use the gas that has the least amount of ethanol in it. 0% ethanol being the best.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM

400 posts, read 572,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Some gas stations I've been going to have all these "new-fangled" grades of gas so that I hardly know what to use! Which ones are okay for any car and which ones (besides diesel) are definitely only for cars specially made for them?

I'd like to know if a newer one might actually be good for my car but I don't want to mess it up - I have a 2005 Mazda RX-8 and a 2012 Mazda 6, if that makes a difference.
91+ Octane is recommended for the RX-8. Probably because it's a rotary engine.

87 Octane for the 6

I'd avoid anything over 10% ethanol.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:25 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Trump indicated he will increase ethanol above 10 percent to appease farmers,my manuals say 10 percent is max???

Old 10-10-2018, 08:24 PM

149 posts, read 104,180 times
This is a little off topic, but has anyone noticed the change in price differential over the last few years between grades of gasoline? The price differential between regular, mid-grade, and premium used to be just $0.10 per gallon a few years ago. A few months ago, I was pointing out to my wife it had changed to $0.20 to $0.25 per gallon. Today, I noticed the price differential was $0.30 per gallon. I buy regular, but I wonder if those buying the higher grades are getting ripped off.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Trump indicated he will increase ethanol above 10 percent to appease farmers,my manuals say 10 percent is max???

And because of this, we will start seeing more engine issues with the higher ethanol mix especially engines like lawnmowers and such.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Gas is like years past when you had regular, mid grade, premium, and like union 76 raceing fuel.
Hey ............how about when there were ..[2] Grades: .....Regular and. ETHYL, period!!!!!!!
............Regular was slightly yellow in color......and Ethyl was the color of Rose Wine: ...a light Pink/Red..................Ah, you youngsters...........Moms 39 Chevy ran good on REGULAR. and. Dads
1938 Packard had to have ETHYL!!!!!

Old 10-13-2018, 05:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
A number of new cars vary tune based upon fuel. An example is the new Mazda6 rating '250 HP with 93 octane fuel. 227 HP with 87 octane fuel.'.
the common misconception is that the numbers you posted mean there's more power in the higher octanes, but actually the reverse is true. Higher octane has more additives to prevent premature detonation at the higher pressures that high horsepower engines run.

This would imply more energy content in regular gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive