Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
True people can do what they want to do, just curious about the motive thats all.
It not really not any of you business what their motives are isn’t it.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It not really not any of you business what their motives are isn’t it.

It's not any of my business how or why a tribe in the amazon gathers food and avoids jaguars but I still find it interesting when watching National Geographic. in school we called it social studies.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
So you harp about things that are “risky” (a 10 year old car breaking down and a person being killed on the side of a bridge) yet you own a Jeep that’s overall riskiness (reliability/safety, etc) is probably far worse or moderately better than a 10 year old Honda? That’s funny. There are FAR safer and more reliable options than a Jeep. Jeeps are notoriously unreliable and having a warranty doesn’t save you if you’re caught on those bridges where you live and another car plows into you. Why would you allow such risks to be taken?

I don’t know if your life sucks or doesn’t suck. If you feel the need to proclaim to strangers that your life doesn’t suck and their life is nothing to envy...I’ve gotta wonder.

YOUR standard of what defines reliability is a vehicle being under warranty. That’s fine. You are entitled to that definition of what constitutes reliability. Others are entitled to their definition of what constitutes reliability. What’s the problem here? With that said, the definition of reliability says nothing about a car needing to be under warranty. And note that I’ve already mentioned 125k mile extended warranties being available.

You are caught up with KNOWING the future. Have most all Lexus vehicles proven to be reliable over the last 3 decades? Certainly. Does that mean every Lexus bought will run problem free to 300k miles? No. Of course not. Buying vehicles from automakers that have proven to make stuff is a way of minimizing your risk of having an unreliable car. Why is that a difficult concept to grasp. If one wants reliability over 10-12 years would they somply throw darts at the wall and assume all cars basically have the same chance of having problems?

If you have no savings and you’re worried about things like return - DON’T take on the perpetual car payment. That’s a guarantee of a negative return vs driving a vehicle 10-12 years.

So you’ve yet to provide a convincing argument on:

1. Why modern vehicles are unreliable to the point of being dangerous at 10 years old
2. How a perpetual car payment is cheaper than buying a vehicle and driving it 10 years.

So basically you know very little about my life. What is clear is that you feel the need to interject your personal feelings about how good or bad my life is. You’ve said numerous times that you don’t envy my lifestyle...that my life sucks and yours doesn’t. All this because I’m willing to drive a car 10 years?

We get it - driving a car 4-5 years is your happy place. Life would not be worth living with a vehicle older than 4-5 years old. It’s FAR to risky. 10 year old cars are death traps...they spew oil and visit repair shops at least quarterly. 10 year old cars give you a 90% chance of being hit by a semi on the side of a bridge.

We GET IT - There’s absolutely no reason one could possibly justify driving a 10 year old car. NONE. Zero.
My Jeep is reliable because it's always new. By 45K miles I'm moving onto the next one. Contrary to popular belief, new Jeeps don't just break down randomly on bridges. Old cars do though. "Unreliable" ratings means grandpa can't figure out the navigation system or the soft top's zipper got stuck.
My wife drives the minivan, I drive the Jeep, so bringing this back to the topic of this thread...there you go.

You're crossing two thoughts here. There's anticipation of safety and there's anticipation of a paying for a breakdown. Sometimes breaking down puts you in an unsafe situation as well as introducing a surprise cost. Breaking down is obviously of no consequence to you, but it is to other people.

If one was to actually pay off their house early (but not see that money again until they sell the house a decade or so later), they no longer have the cash available to fix their car that just blew a transmission because they trusted your assessment that all new cars won't break down for the next 200K miles. I see this old outdated terrible advice given out all the time on this forum. Again...only the well off can afford busted old cars. Telling people to dump their savings into non liquid assets they won't see again for years leaving them with no financial cushion is horrible advice. Stop telling people this.

If you're trying to plan for known cost, buying a new car and keeping under warranty makes the most sense. If you don't enjoy the idea that your car could break down, because you're driving outside of it's design lifespan, then you need a new car. If you just don't like the idea of driving a car that's worth only $1000 or less, then you probably need a new one. If you were ok with driving a worthless car, you can just buy one to start with. You can get a slightly used Nissan Leaf still under warranty for almost nothing. Or a Corolla, Civic, etc. If you're starting off with a $40K car, its probably because you want to ride in a $40K car (or something close to it).

Yes, I don't envy people driving 10 year old cars. That sounds like they're just getting by. If Warren Buffet drives an old pickup truck that's his problem and I'm glad I'm not Warren Buffet.

I don't need to proclaim to strangers anything. In my opinion I'm doing well and I'm pretty much doing the opposite of everything you're talking about and that's all that statement is meant to convey. Your advice to have everybody drive old cars and trust it's reliability sounds terrible. Drive whatever you want, but I don't see that as a brag worthy example about your fiscal responsibility. If you actually retired by the age of 30, it can't possibly be because you drove the same car for 12 years.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If one was to actually pay off their house early (but not see that money again until they sell the house a decade or so later), they no longer have the cash available to fix their car that just blew a transmission because they trusted your assessment that all new cars won't break down for the next 200K miles. I see this old outdated terrible advice given out all the time on this forum. Again...only the well off can afford busted old cars. Telling people to dump their savings into non liquid assets they won't see again for years leaving them with no financial cushion is horrible advice. Stop telling people this.

The benefit of paying off your house early is not in the fact that you can resell it, it's in the fact that there is no longer a mortgage hanging over your head like the sword of damocles, that if you get laid off, fired or downsized you have 1 to 3 years to get your affairs in order before you lose your house(taxes are the only concern at that point) but if you are still paying on your house depending on the state you live in you may have as little as 6 weeks.

Quote:
If you're trying to plan for known cost, buying a new car and keeping under warranty makes the most sense. If you don't enjoy the idea that your car could break down, because you're driving outside of it's design lifespan, then you need a new car. If you just don't like the idea of driving a car that's worth only $1000 or less, then you probably need a new one. If you were ok with driving a worthless car, you can just buy one to start with. You can get a slightly used Nissan Leaf still under warranty for almost nothing. Or a Corolla, Civic, etc. If you're starting off with a $40K car, its probably because you want to ride in a $40K car (or something close to it).

You can do that with a cash car, you buy one save up enough to buy the next one, and anything you make for 6 - 7 years after that is money you can do with what you wish.

Quote:
Drive whatever you want, but I don't see that as a brag worthy example about your fiscal responsibility. If you actually retired by the age of 30, it can't possibly be because you drove the same car for 12 years.

Actually everyone I know who retired before the age of 40(except for a guy I went to school with who worked for mothernature.com who vested and cashed out before they went under) were all very thrifty with their money in ALL regards not just the 15 year old car lol.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:14 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
My Jeep is reliable because it's always new. By 45K miles I'm moving onto the next one. Contrary to popular belief, new Jeeps don't just break down randomly on bridges. Old cars do though. "Unreliable" ratings means grandpa can't figure out the navigation system or the soft top's zipper got stuck.
My wife drives the minivan, I drive the Jeep, so bringing this back to the topic of this thread...there you go.

You're crossing two thoughts here. There's anticipation of safety and there's anticipation of a paying for a breakdown. Sometimes breaking down puts you in an unsafe situation as well as introducing a surprise cost. Breaking down is obviously of no consequence to you, but it is to other people.

Yes, I don't envy people driving 10 year old cars. That sounds like they're just getting by. If Warren Buffet drives an old pickup truck that's his problem and I'm glad I'm not Warren Buffet.

I don't need to proclaim to strangers anything. In my opinion I'm doing well and I'm pretty much doing the opposite of everything you're talking about and that's all that statement is meant to convey. Your advice to have everybody drive old cars and trust it's reliability sounds terrible. Drive whatever you want, but I don't see that as a brag worthy example about your fiscal responsibility. If you actually retired by the age of 30, it can't possibly be because you drove the same car for 12 years.
Jeeps don’t break down down before 45k miles? They don’t break down on bridges? Is that something you can guarantee? Or do you just have faith that it won’t break down? The same sort of faith that a person driving a 100k+ mile car has that their car won’t break down? Heck, let’s say the Jeep doesn’t break down - is it the safest vehicle you could possibly drive? If not, why are you taking an unessesary risk?

Let me get this straight...you TRUST your car.

When did I say breaking down was of no concern for me? It’s simply not something I’m stressed out about because I maintain my vehicles and ensure they are in proper working order. If my car does break down I will weigh the pros and cons of fixing it. If I feel it’s not worth fixing I will proceed to buy another car. Simple really.

Where did I advise anyone to put all disposable income toward their home? I simply said it’s an option. Why would a person need to contribute all of their savings to their home? If you have money that would’ve otherwise been spent, you have options to do what you feel comfortable doing. If one wants to put an extra $200 toward their principle on a home, $50 toward their child’s college fund and set aside $150 toward an emergency fund - they have the option to do so. You simply can’t accept that some people choose to spend money differently than you do. Driving a 3-4 year old simply isn’t the most important priority for many people. Who are you to tell them what’s important in life?

How do you know the person driving a 10 year old car doesn’t have money set aside for repairs? Hopefully everyone tries to have some degree of funds set aside for an emergency. If you don’t, how does adding in a $500 car payment help things? Yeah, you may be less likely to break down but what about all the other things in life that can pop up? Can one draw out money from a car they don’t own to pay for the unexpected?

Regardless, we can simply keep talking in circles, but what’s the point. Driving a car older than 4-5 years old simply makes life unacceptably unpleasant for you. For others, not having a new luxury car every year makes life unpleasant. What you envy or don’t envy is irrelevant. Who cares? I’m sure millions upon millions of people could look at your life and find a reason they don’t envy you. It could be where you live, what your wife looks like, the size of your home, you’re too short or fat, have kids or not enough kids, not handsome enough, not rich enough, not cool enough - who knows. Someone could pick anything and say that don’t envy you for that reason.

Why would one buy a worthless car to start with? There’s a significant difference between buying a new car, driving it 10-12 years and buying a 12 year old car that one has no clue about how it was maintained. If your plan is to buy a new car every 10-12 years, than why would you buy a 12 year old car? That makes no sense. One’s confidence in how reliable a car is often increases as they drive the car. If someone has a car they’ve driven from 0-100k miles, they may feel confident to drive it another year. If nothing happens, they drive it another year...so on and so forth.

If you feel you’re doing well, than more power to you. I’m not here to tell anyone their life is nothing to be envious of. Silliness.

Btw I’ve made a new thread about mileage/reliability/danger: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...sider-car.html

Feel free to join.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
It's not any of my business how or why a tribe in the amazon gathers food and avoids jaguars but I still find it interesting when watching National Geographic. in school we called it social studies.
Good for you of you that you find people interesting why they do things the way they do but don’t expect them to explain their reasoning for anything they do to you because what a person does in their own life is their business not yours. We’re not a science experiment.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:52 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
I'm going to reiterate what I said in the other thread:

Ever look at the risk factors women look at during their daily lives that us guys just don't think about? For example, how they act in parking lots and why they are ALWAYS looking over their shoulders at anything that might be a danger? It's eye-opening. I want to minimize those risks for my wife whenever possible so the more reliable, the better. And since you can't control other people, more safety features to protect her FROM those other people was also a factor. So for many years, when she was working downtown Baltimore, she got the new/leased car. A fixed low cost per month was a small price to pay for worry free driving. And if it DID have something like a check engine light come on, *I* didn't have to spend time with the car down, as the dealership would take care of it and I'd get a loaner.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The benefit of paying off your house early is not in the fact that you can resell it, it's in the fact that there is no longer a mortgage hanging over your head like the sword of damocles, that if you get laid off, fired or downsized you have 1 to 3 years to get your affairs in order before you lose your house(taxes are the only concern at that point) but if you are still paying on your house depending on the state you live in you may have as little as 6 weeks.

You can do that with a cash car, you buy one save up enough to buy the next one, and anything you make for 6 - 7 years after that is money you can do with what you wish.

Actually everyone I know who retired before the age of 40(except for a guy I went to school with who worked for mothernature.com who vested and cashed out before they went under) were all very thrifty with their money in ALL regards not just the 15 year old car lol.
The only thing you’re saving when you pay your mortgage off early is tax deductible interest. What would you rather have when you get laid off, $20k in savings or an extra $1000 a month?

I have no desire to retire before 40 (too late for that anyway), especially if it means being thrifty.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Jeeps don’t break down down before 45k miles? They don’t break down on bridges? Is that something you can guarantee? Or do you just have faith that it won’t break down? The same sort of faith that a person driving a 100k+ mile car has that their car won’t break down? Heck, let’s say the Jeep doesn’t break down - is it the safest vehicle you could possibly drive? If not, why are you taking an unessesary risk?

Let me get this straight...you TRUST your car.

When did I say breaking down was of no concern for me? It’s simply not something I’m stressed out about because I maintain my vehicles and ensure they are in proper working order. If my car does break down I will weigh the pros and cons of fixing it. If I feel it’s not worth fixing I will proceed to buy another car. Simple really.

Where did I advise anyone to put all disposable income toward their home? I simply said it’s an option. Why would a person need to contribute all of their savings to their home? If you have money that would’ve otherwise been spent, you have options to do what you feel comfortable doing. If one wants to put an extra $200 toward their principle on a home, $50 toward their child’s college fund and set aside $150 toward an emergency fund - they have the option to do so. You simply can’t accept that some people choose to spend money differently than you do. Driving a 3-4 year old simply isn’t the most important priority for many people. Who are you to tell them what’s important in life?

How do you know the person driving a 10 year old car doesn’t have money set aside for repairs? Hopefully everyone tries to have some degree of funds set aside for an emergency. If you don’t, how does adding in a $500 car payment help things? Yeah, you may be less likely to break down but what about all the other things in life that can pop up? Can one draw out money from a car they don’t own to pay for the unexpected?

Regardless, we can simply keep talking in circles, but what’s the point. Driving a car older than 4-5 years old simply makes life unacceptably unpleasant for you. For others, not having a new luxury car every year makes life unpleasant. What you envy or don’t envy is irrelevant. Who cares? I’m sure millions upon millions of people could look at your life and find a reason they don’t envy you. It could be where you live, what your wife looks like, the size of your home, you’re too short or fat, have kids or not enough kids, not handsome enough, not rich enough, not cool enough - who knows. Someone could pick anything and say that don’t envy you for that reason.

Why would one buy a worthless car to start with? There’s a significant difference between buying a new car, driving it 10-12 years and buying a 12 year old car that one has no clue about how it was maintained. If your plan is to buy a new car every 10-12 years, than why would you buy a 12 year old car? That makes no sense. One’s confidence in how reliable a car is often increases as they drive the car. If someone has a car they’ve driven from 0-100k miles, they may feel confident to drive it another year. If nothing happens, they drive it another year...so on and so forth.

If you feel you’re doing well, than more power to you. I’m not here to tell anyone their life is nothing to be envious of. Silliness.

Btw I’ve made a new thread about mileage/reliability/danger: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...sider-car.html

Feel free to join.
Why do you get so spun up on all this nonsense?

Old 10-20-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The only thing you’re saving when you pay your mortgage off early is tax deductible interest. What would you rather have when you get laid off, $20k in savings or an extra $1000 a month?

I have no desire to retire before 40 (too late for that anyway), especially if it means being thrifty.

Actually when you pay your mortgage off early you get both, depending on how you do it.
you keep more of your day to day income by not having rent or a mortgage expense every month.

Paying off my mortgage early allowed me the freedom to downsize my life and pretty much leave the rat-race and most of the stress that comes with it, I'm able to earn much less and still meet my needs and stack away beans in my CD and 401K.

When I paid off my house it was like a weight lifted off of my shoulders, and though I am not retired I am living like I am semi-retired already, I have a cool low stress job that pays my bills that I would not be able to live on or add to savings if I had rent/mortgage and a car payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive