Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times

Advertisements

In January 2018, I bought a shiny new 2018 Camry XLE. It was my dream car, and I was thrilled to have it. However, after several weeks passed, I realized the car was not comfortable to me (physically speaking) and there were several annoying problems with the car that the dealer couldn't fix. Frankly, it got to be fairly aggravating.

Then one month ago, I had a life-changing experience (health issue) and realized that I had to jettison those things that were causing me stress.

When I sat down and did the math, I realized it was time to sell this car back to the dealer. They made me a fair offer and I accepted and I'm glad it's over. I'm now the happy owner of a clean, well-maintained, used Prius and I'm very pleased with it. And there's no more anxiety about making those big car payments.

In my 60 years, this is my 6th new car, and the first one that I didn't keep to 100,000 miles.

And I can say this: I'll never buy another Camry, which is shocking because this was my 4th Camry.

Have you ever turned around and sold off a "new" car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
In my 56 years of being a licensed driver, I have only bought three new vehicles, one car, one truck and one minivan. The rest have all been either older or newer/used cars or trucks.

But to answer your question, no. I have never taken a hit by selling a new vehicle I had recently purchased because I have never felt I had to. I've also never taken a hit by trading in a vehicle for another one. I always sold my vehicles at the same time, or very shortly after buying another one. My last truck was a 1997 F150 XL 4x4 that I paid $4,500 for. I drove the truck for for eight years and recently sold it for $4,350 with only the costs of oil/filter changes, tires and one alternator, most of which I did the work myself.

I've owned one Camry LE (1980) and it was one of the best cars I had ever owned. It was truly a great car until it was nearly cut in half in an accident. However, I agree that Camrys are not what they were at one time.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
2004 Corolla that we had for roughly two years. It was a perfectly nice and reliable vehicle but every time I got in it, a little piece of my soul died. Traded it for a Subaru Outback I still have and drive.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Yeah, had buyers remorse, and it wasn't even my car.

Bought my wife an Acura MDX, and even though we test drove it first, did a lot of research... We forgot what WE like in a car. The MDX had great reviews, it had the 3rd row seating, navigation, upgraded sound system, rear entertainment package for the kids, etc. All things that we wanted to have since we now had a child.

Well, that just wasn't doing it for us. We valued the driving experience and feel far more that creature comforts. The engine was 300hp, which for an SUV felt extremely underpowered to us, having been used to sports cars and SUVs with V8 or turbo power.

Ultimately, it was just so absolutely boring to drive, and neither of us liked taking it anywhere. My wife had an older Porsche Cayenne S before the MDX, I had taken that and bought the MDX for her, she took her Cayenne back as she liked it a whole lot more, even though it was 7 years older and with far less creature comforts.

So, I sold the MDX, and we got something else, I think we only had that MDX for like 3 months.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Took a 4 grand hit on a 2016 Honda Accord sport when I traded it in after just 15 months for a 2017 Acura TLX. I liked the look of the Accord and made an impulse purchase. Everyday I found something that I realized I didn’t like about it. The sound system sucked. No sunroof. No push button start. Drivers seat felt too wide along with the steering wheel being too big. Lastly I couldn’t stand the characteristics of the cvt transmission. The TLX checked all the boxes for what I was looking for and am very happy with it. To me it was worth the 4K hit.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
2004 Corolla that we had for roughly two years. It was a perfectly nice and reliable vehicle but every time I got in it, a little piece of my soul died. Traded it for a Subaru Outback I still have and drive.
So a little Subaru Outback made you feel young again? I was expecting a Corvette.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:58 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I just last week turned in a leased Escape 8 months early to save on insurance. I effectively replaced it with a 2003 Subaru Baja about 7 months ago, a car I’vealways wanted.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Yeah, had buyers remorse, and it wasn't even my car.

Bought my wife an Acura MDX, and even though we test drove it first, did a lot of research... We forgot what WE like in a car. The MDX had great reviews, it had the 3rd row seating, navigation, upgraded sound system, rear entertainment package for the kids, etc. All things that we wanted to have since we now had a child.

Well, that just wasn't doing it for us. We valued the driving experience and feel far more that creature comforts. The engine was 300hp, which for an SUV felt extremely underpowered to us, having been used to sports cars and SUVs with V8 or turbo power.

Ultimately, it was just so absolutely boring to drive, and neither of us liked taking it anywhere. My wife had an older Porsche Cayenne S before the MDX, I had taken that and bought the MDX for her, she took her Cayenne back as she liked it a whole lot more, even though it was 7 years older and with far less creature comforts.

So, I sold the MDX, and we got something else, I think we only had that MDX for like 3 months.

Vehicles are so personal, aren't they? I love my MDX, in fact, I recently bought my second one. At 30+ MPG on the highway I think it's fun to drive

Old 10-14-2018, 08:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I did, a long time ago. I bought a 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Limited, top of the line with all the options except sunroof. I think it listed for $33,500 or so, which was a pretty high price 30+ years ago. But we couldn't seem to make a trip out of town without something going haywire.

One memorable trip was to Colorado Springs for a little 3-4 day weekend with the kids. Of course we wanted to go up Pikes Peak, but after getting the luggage out of the back the night before, the rear window wouldn't go up. It was late, so it had to wait until the next day, but we had stuff planned -- including the trip up Pikes Peak. With the window down! Dust, dust, dust. When we stopped that night I was able to take the back door apart and get the window up, but it still didn't work.

Rattles and electrical gremlins lived in that car. I think I stuck with it for about 4 months and couldn't take it any longer. I traded it for an '86 Saab 9000 Turbo which I loved -- so much that I traded it a couple years later for an '88 just like it except for the color, and for the anti-lock brakes that came out in '88. I kept that one for 12 years and 180K miles.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:18 PM

494 posts, read 285,564 times
I did. I stupidly purchased a Hyundai Accent because it was cheap and I had to drive across country and wanted a car that was new so I wouldn't have any issues. I had the dealership look it over before I left just to be safe (so glad I did) and there was a problem with the brakes so they fixed that and off I went. On the way, part of my front bumper fell off so now I had a hanging piece of bumper. After bumper got fixed and I got to my new destination, I noticed a terrible gas smell in the car. I took it to the dealership several times before I was told it had something to do with an air/gas mixture and they finally fixed that problem after I threatened a lawsuit. The next issue happened when I was driving in a bad rainstorm. All the dashboard lights flashed on and off when I turned on the wipers. What a nightmare! I'm older and need a dependable car so my son took me to a Honda dealership and I traded the "junk heap" in. Not only did Honda give me pretty much what I paid for the Hyundai as a trade-in, but my car payments AND car insurance ended up being less than I was paying with the Hyundai! (car insurance went down because the Hyundai is one of the most unsafe cars and I didn't know that) Anyway, I have a wonderful Honda Fit that I paid less for than I did the Hyundai and it runs like a top! This will be the last new car I'm buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive