Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your car have a dash cam?
Yes, front-facing only 23 23.23%
Yes; front and rear or inward-facing 14 14.14%
No; but I used to 1 1.01%
No; but I am considering it 39 39.39%
No; I've never thought about it 22 22.22%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times

Advertisements

No, and have no intention of one. What's the purpose other than posting a video on YouTube for hits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Can they be used as evidence, if a cop writes a phony ticket? ( It does happen). Or in the case of a dispute over who is at fault in an accident?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I recently had a car following a few feet behind me on an interstate at 80 mph. I slowed down to force them to pass; first to 70, then 60, then 50. Nothing, stayed right on my tail. Sped back up to 80 and they stayed right behind me. I had to change lanes and hit the brakes to get them off of me. As the car passed, I noticed the driver was reading on her phone. I doubt she had any idea the BS her car's cruise control was doing.
Cruise control or not, I have ZERO issue with taking my foot off the pedal, and I'll let the car slow down to a crawl if I have to when this happens. If something happens ahead of me, I don't want the guy behind me going up into my bumper, and the slower we're both going, the better, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Can they be used as evidence, if a cop writes a phony ticket? ( It does happen). Or in the case of a dispute over who is at fault in an accident?
Yes. I've had a couple occasions where someone claimed one thing, that was quickly proven false when I've shown the officer the dash cam video.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
I just installed one in my car and feeling it out. It stays on for 30 minutes after the car is shut off and locked due to the electrical system setup which no tapped fuse will help. So far no issue with battery drain. The picture is clear enough for license plates, most times. Now that I know how to do the install, I'm inclined to buy another for my wife's car. https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-B1...qid=1539880977 (https://dashcamtalk.com)

Quote:
I think these are adaptive cruise controls. I know a guy that puts it on before his congested drive to work every morning then starts answering emails on his phone for the entire commute.

I recently had a car following a few feet behind me on an interstate at 80 mph. I slowed down to force them to pass; first to 70, then 60, then 50. Nothing, stayed right on my tail. Sped back up to 80 and they stayed right behind me. I had to change lanes and hit the brakes to get them off of me. As the car passed, I noticed the driver was reading on her phone. I doubt she had any idea the BS her car's cruise control was doing.
I've only experienced adaptive cruise in my parents' new Honda Odyssey. It won't go down to 0mph and continue (deactivates at < 25mph), but I will say that it errs much on the safe side as far as following distance. It leaves a minimum of 1.5 car-lengths at all times (can be set to more only). If I have it on, and a car changes lanes into the space ahead of me, it actually brakes abruptly instead of letting down. Quite annoying IMO - and a case where humans read better than computers.

In short, I don't think the answer to the guy's concern about tailgating is adaptive cruise. If someone is seemingly braking for no reason, then you can blame the adaptive cruise - for being too safe. Which manufacturer really wants a lawsuit if it was the opposite?

Last edited by ovi8; 10-18-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah our Tiguan has adaptive cruise. It will go all the way down to 0 and works pretty well in heavy traffic. However, the shortest following distance that can be set is also around 1.5-2 car lengths.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The BlackVue is very expensive and has mediocre reviews online. There are many cameras that are much cheaper and much better.
https://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-DR75.../dp/B0759XDG8C
GoPro?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:18 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Not sure about Case 1, has not happened to me or anyone I know here on the mean streets of Bellevue and Kirkland, WA.

Case 2 seems more plausible. An ex-girlfriend was in a wreck couple years ago that could have been cleared up as to Fault real-fast w/high rez, front facing camera. The cameras at the intersection were pointed other ways, the cop sheepishly told us (this was an amusing and annoying admission). I went through the forensics of what happened, second by second, and proved convincingly it was the old lady who sideswiped my GF, not the inverse, but was harder than it needed to be. (Video of the site, timing the light, asking for light data from the City during time of that accident).

I have a Kenwood DRV-N520 installed with my brand new Kenwood head unit in the truck for another $150. I had an extra bigger microSD around that I popped in. All seems well, hope I don't "need" it but is compatible with the deck for various interesting features and is high resolution. On switched power, so it's hands-free. I don't see any reason to have one of these but I'm glad the tech has reached a point where it is seamless, which is the ONLY ways stuff like this works in the long run.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I think these are adaptive cruise controls. I know a guy that puts it on before his congested drive to work every morning then starts answering emails on his phone for the entire commute.

New Jersey Turnpike, somewhere around Exit 13-8?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Not sure about Case 1, has not happened to me or anyone I know here on the mean streets of Bellevue and Kirkland, WA.

Case 2 seems more plausible. An ex-girlfriend was in a wreck couple years ago that could have been cleared up as to Fault real-fast w/high rez, front facing camera. The cameras at the intersection were pointed other ways, the cop sheepishly told us (this was an amusing and annoying admission). I went through the forensics of what happened, second by second, and proved convincingly it was the old lady who sideswiped my GF, not the inverse, but was harder than it needed to be. (Video of the site, timing the light, asking for light data from the City during time of that accident).

I have a Kenwood DRV-N520 installed with my brand new Kenwood head unit in the truck for another $150. I had an extra bigger microSD around that I popped in. All seems well, hope I don't "need" it but is compatible with the deck for various interesting features and is high resolution. On switched power, so it's hands-free. I don't see any reason to have one of these but I'm glad the tech has reached a point where it is seamless, which is the ONLY ways stuff like this works in the long run.
Come to New Jersey. Our cops have attitude problems, hide in bushes, and WILL write 9+ tickets on a stop. It's called "throw as much poop to the wall and see what will stick."

Cause need not be present. If you're in the wrong spot and wrong time, particularly if only car on road or if they never seen your car before... And don't let it be a holiday, or a Sunday... Case 1.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

yes it can. video evidence is the best evidence since the video doesnt lie. people have gotten out of tickets when they showed it to the judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive