Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your car have a dash cam?
Yes, front-facing only 23 23.23%
Yes; front and rear or inward-facing 14 14.14%
No; but I used to 1 1.01%
No; but I am considering it 39 39.39%
No; I've never thought about it 22 22.22%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times

Advertisements

I have one in each car. The main issue is that they tend to come unplugged from the cigarette lighter. Would be nice if these things were just built in to the car. My minivan has one with forward cam and inward cam that sees (some) out the rear window.

Mainly I just have it in case of evidence needed in a dispute. I hit a car one time when they came out from a side street. Although I had the right of way, they actually went to court to try to reverse the blame. My insurance co. gave them $4000 rather than take the risk & trouble of court. I doubt I would have lost, but the insurer's in charge here. A video would have been much stronger proof that (1) they pulled in front of me with no warning and (2) I immediately attempted to brake. Luckily it didn't affect my insurance or shift the blame to me. But still. Lawyers will just try anything.

It might also come in handy if you witness an accident. Back before I had a cam, I saw someone pull out from a side street (running a stop sign) and hit a car. Similar to what happened to me. Would have been nice to give the guy the video. I did give my phone # and an insurance co. did call me and ask a few questions.

In Russia, insurers require dash cams, so everyone has one. When you see some of their horrific accidents posted on Youtube, you can understand why. Crazy people, drink too much vodka, can't seem to drive in the snow and ice though they ought to know how by now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 01:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
No, and have no intention of one. What's the purpose other than posting a video on YouTube for hits
To protect yourself in the event of an incident that becomes a he said, she said.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:28 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I want a rear window sign that flashes GET OFF MY ASS! When a car gets too close to me. And...what is the deal when sitting at a STOP and the vehicle behind me inches up into my backseat ? I am not going anywhere.....I inch up..they inch up. WTH.

Get one of these: (skip the first 30 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTsE7f-TIQ

Old 10-18-2018, 04:00 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,439 times
Remember, your dash cam could be just as easily used against as it can be against someone else. Tread lightly!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM

669 posts, read 582,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I think these are adaptive cruise controls. I know a guy that puts it on before his congested drive to work every morning then starts answering emails on his phone for the entire commute.

I recently had a car following a few feet behind me on an interstate at 80 mph. I slowed down to force them to pass; first to 70, then 60, then 50. Nothing, stayed right on my tail. Sped back up to 80 and they stayed right behind me. I had to change lanes and hit the brakes to get them off of me. As the car passed, I noticed the driver was reading on her phone. I doubt she had any idea the BS her car's cruise control was doing.
Been happening for decades...so...no, not buying it. Esp when some b-yotch waved her middle finger in my rearview mirror for a few miles in a highway construction site . She knew full well what she was doing.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
here are three videso of why you need to invest in a dashcam;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny01_mvJyjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaIV66DDfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jewAGL6xP0

Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I don't have one, but I would like one. I researched them a while back, but being technology challenged I found it frustrating. I hope they eventually are a option on new cars.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:14 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Remember, your dash cam could be just as easily used against as it can be against someone else. Tread lightly!
Why would you provide it and not just delete the video if you were at fault?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have one in each car. The main issue is that they tend to come unplugged from the cigarette lighter. Would be nice if these things were just built in to the car. My minivan has one with forward cam and inward cam that sees (some) out the rear window.
Get an add-a-fuse and properly hard wire it with the wires tucked away. It’s not hard, plenty of YouTube walkthrus on how to do it.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 PM

635 posts, read 784,205 times
People drive like idiots. I think it would be a good idea. Bright fog lights are what I have added also. I am tired of people almost running into me as they run stop signs and red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive