Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your car have a dash cam?
Yes, front-facing only 23 23.23%
Yes; front and rear or inward-facing 14 14.14%
No; but I used to 1 1.01%
No; but I am considering it 39 39.39%
No; I've never thought about it 22 22.22%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
No, and have no intention of one. What's the purpose other than posting a video on YouTube for hits
Gee, yeah what purpose could it serve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWPeVrQbNo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times
+1

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Yes I do. They're really cheap now.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Yes, front facing only, cheap $60 unit. I was kind of excited about getting one- well not really excited but thought it would be a good idea given the high traffic city I live in with aggressive drivers but I mostly forget about it being there now that I have one. I do feel more confident in taking my turn at all way stop signs that so many drivers try to go out of turn if you dare take a left turn in front of them after they arrive.

I’ve only had one really shareable incident filmed though, a kid on an E-scooter coming at me going the wrong way in the left turn lane on my side of the median. But I can’t figure out how to download and share it.

I did feel nervous though when snapped the cam out of the car - trying to figure out how to download said incident, it did, but I don’t know where on my iPad, and forgot to reinstall the cam on Monday for the morning commute. So many bad drivers out there.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-31-2018 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yes, front facing only, cheap $60 unit. I was kind of excited about getting one- well not really excited but thought it would be a good idea given the high traffic city I live in with aggressive drivers but I mostly forget about it being there now that I have one. I do feel more confident in taking my turn at all way stop signs that so many drivers try to go out of turn if you dare take a left turn in front of them after they arrive.

I’ve only had one really shareable incident filmed though, a kid on an E-scooter coming at me going the wrong way in the left turn lane on my side of the median. But I can’t figure out how to download and share it.

I did feel nervous though when snapped the cam out of the car - trying to figure out how to download said incident, it did, but I don’t know where on my iPad, and forgot to reinstall the cam on Monday for the morning commute. So many bad drivers out there.
Leave the cam in the car and take out the SD card. Get the video and replace the SD card.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:24 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Got a front facing one. Not a rear though I may consider it.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
As an alternative to a dash cam, you can just mount your cell phone on the dash using a sturdy clamp such as iOtti. I've found that sticking or glueing a plastic disk to the dash works best; then the suctiony thing will hold better and you won't have your phone falling into your lap every 2-3 days.

Phone video uses an incredible amount of memory so it's not practical to just run 24x7. Set it to a lower res/fewer pixels so your memory will hold more, then just turn on video record. Or download a dashcam app to get the "delete oldest clip" feature. Samsung phones have memory card slots; haven't tried that yet on mine.

The advantage is that if you need to replay a video, e.g. for a police officer at the scene of the incident, you just grab your phone and hit Play. Simpler than the inane user interfaces of most of these Chinese dash cams.

You'd still need something for the rear view, though.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
A dash cam, even if its a cheap $20 China one is better than no dash cam at all. Even the cheapest dash cam can show if you really ran a red light or if someone came into your lane.

In the end , it's your worth against theirs and people do lie ALL THE TIME after car wrecks, so a dash cam video, whether its 720p or 2-4k resolution is what can protect you from A ticket, being sued or insurance going g
up.

If you don't wanna pay for a quality front/rear facing camera that can range from $80 to typically $150-200 +, just but 2 small dash cams and mount one facing each direction.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:10 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times
Costco is currently selling a 2-way Cobra dashcam for $189, I am unfamiliar with that brand so will research before buying that or another make.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
I have a front and rear camera for several reasons. First, even at 60, I can be a bit immature when it comes to driving. I like to go fast on occasion. The video helps to keep me somewhat in-check. I haven’t had a ticket since 1998 although I just got the camera units about 5 months ago.

Second, I like my car. I’d hate for someone to vandalize it. Maybe the camera will help if that occurs.

Third, the world if full of distracted drivers. I’ve caught several blowing red lights and no, I didn’t post them on YouTube. If I’m ever in an accident, hopefully, it wasn’t my fault and hopefully, the video will help in case someone claims differently.

Mine’s a Thinkware F770. Tapped an “always on” fuse, routed the wires front and back myself. It wasn’t fun but it looks great. Nice and clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive