Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times

Advertisements

Brief question here: I own a 1992 Buick Regal with a 3800 V6. I am the original owner. It has just about 244,000 miles. The powertrain is fully original. I plan to keep it a bit longer, alongside my new Buick LaCrosse.

How long do fuel injectors last? Have you seen a set go a very long time? I try to use good gas and put in the Techron fuel injector cleaner additive every other oil change, so about every 5,000 miles.

Your input regarding how far these can go and what I should do to keep them in good order is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:45 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times
Congratulations.

Thinking about it the last fuel injector that went bad on my was no my 1972 Saab 99! Since about 1978 I've averaged 50K-60K miles/year on my cars and never replaced one.

BTW, I've NEVER put any fuel injector cleaner in any car I've owned.

I'm sure the pros on here will correct me if I'm wrong but most injector problems that I've heard about have been more "electrical" related than "clogging" related.

Great engine that 3.8 liter. It was pretty cutting edge (for GM) back then. We probably logged a million miles on those engines in Buicks and Olds Delta 88s. The only consistent problem we had was the "ignitors" (what replaced coil and distributor going bad on us.

golfgod

Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
the original injectors in my '92 Buick wagon with 180k are still working.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,047,410 times
My first camaro was a 1998 V6 Camaro that had the 200HP 3.8 V6. YES ! What an amazing engine. Very torquey for a V6. That coupled with the 5-speed manual I had....it was sheer heaven.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 AM

30 posts, read 135,918 times
The best thing to do to keep your injectors working.
Use good fuel and replace the fuel filter
I have found all of the problems I've had stem from the above I have had no electic malfunctions. The fuel injection cleaner is also a good idea
Keeping your fuel system clean is key

Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM

364 posts, read 1,978,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzinger View Post
I have found all of the problems I've had stem from the above I have had no electic malfunctions. The fuel injection cleaner is also a good idea
Agree.

Using quality fuels is a very good idea.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
Fuel injectors can last a long time. If your mileage is about as good as it ever was, probably you are fine.

There is an outfit called Witchhunter near Seattle that can clean/test your injectors with a quick turnaround time.

If you don't plan to keep the car much longer, you probably don't need to worry about it one way or the other.

If you can/will change your own spark plugs, pull them and look at them, if they all look about the same with clean white porcelain around the center electrode, you are likely OK. If they are old at all, get yourself a set of "plain vanilla" NGK plugs, you'll be surprised at the improvement (I would guess)

Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzinger View Post
Cool - I use decent fuel such as Shell, Chevron or Texaco, put in the Techron F.I. cleaner every 5,000 miles and change my fuel filter every 20,000 miles.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,881,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Brief question here: I own a 1992 Buick Regal with a 3800 V6. I am the original owner. It has just about 244,000 miles. The powertrain is fully original. I plan to keep it a bit longer, alongside my new Buick LaCrosse.

How long do fuel injectors last? Have you seen a set go a very long time? I try to use good gas and put in the Techron fuel injector cleaner additive every other oil change, so about every 5,000 miles.

Your input regarding how far these can go and what I should do to keep them in good order is appreciated!

If you got that many miles and never had to do anything to the fuel system, you must be doing something right. Whatever you are doing, keep on doing it...I wouldn't change a thing. Actually, I very seldom hear of people having trouble with the injectors...usually something else blows up or fails before you need to fool with them. The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" comes to mind...don't know who came up with that, but there's wisdom in the saying....
(On the other hand, if...for example...you've been averaging 18mpg all along, and all of a sudden are only getting 12mpg...then yeah...you might consider casting a suspicious eye at the injectors...) (but...the car may be just fine...the new ethanol fuels do produce worse mileage...sometimes incredibly worse...)

Bud

Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 22,216 times
Why would you use injector cleaners that advertise cleaning varnish,amongst other things like carbon off of the injectors,when a form of varnish is used as an insulator between the solenoid windings of the injector itself?Now who mentioned only hearing about injectors having electrical problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive