Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:49 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times

Advertisements

Where do you draw the line?

Anything not under factory warranty?

Anything over 100k miles?

Over 200k miles?

How do you justify not driving the absolutely most reliable car you can possibly obtain?

For example, why worry about retirement or purchasing a home if you aren’t driving the most reliable vehicle available...isn’t driving the immediate danger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 06:54 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I don't draw a line... I keep the car maintained until it cost more that it is worth to maintain.

There are plenty of safe vehicles well over 200k miles. A car with little miles but bad brakes is dangerous. A car with lots of miles in good working order is safer.

Maintenance and upkeep is what matters.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
I trade my daily drivers in every three years, because I like not having to worry about it.

Can my brand new car break down and leave me stranded? Yeah, it can, but it's very unlikely it will.

One of my fun cars is almost 20 years old, the other one is over 30 years old. I don't drive them very often, so if they break down it's not a huge deal.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
Once I've had more than a couple of repair issues (not necessary maintenance stuff) in a relatively short period of time.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I trade my daily drivers in every three years, because I like not having to worry about it.

Can my brand new car break down and leave me stranded? Yeah, it can, but it's very unlikely it will.

One of my fun cars is almost 20 years old, the other one is over 30 years old. I don't drive them very often, so if they break down it's not a huge deal.
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your level of worry by driving a car a 4th year? Would it be like a 2?

What about driving the same car a 5th or 6th year? Would that be a 7 or 8? Perhaps enough worry to where you think about it daily and your worry turns to stress? Hypothetically, if you had to, would you tap into savings or retirement that you may otherwise need to alleviate the worry of driving a 5 or 6 year old car?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:15 PM

6,794 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Surely there's a lot more to reliability than the age of the car. I remember driving around in a 10+ year old Mitsubishi 20 years ago and that thing just ran and ran and ran. A simple car that felt like it just didn't have much that could break if the car's taken care of properly. Ironically it finally met its demise when my dad borrowed it and totaled it while his new sedan was in the shop.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
When it constantly breaks down and it’s unreliable

Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Where do you draw the line?

Anything not under factory warranty?

Anything over 100k miles?

Over 200k miles?

How do you justify not driving the absolutely most reliable car you can possibly obtain?

For example, why worry about retirement or purchasing a home if you aren’t driving the most reliable vehicle available...isn’t driving the immediate danger?

Bit paranoid, aren't you, about driving?

Can't tell you when we stop driving a car as far as age or mileage is concerned - if it won't take us 300,000+ miles, we're not interested. As long as the vehicle is maintained and repaired properly (if necessary - we tend towards Toyotas and Hondas and for the farm truck a Dodge diesel), high miles and age is not a big deal. When those maintenance/repairs outweigh the value of the vehicle, that's where we draw the line.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Surely there's a lot more to reliability than the age of the car. I remember driving around in a 10+ year old Mitsubishi 20 years ago and that thing just ran and ran and ran. A simple car that felt like it just didn't have much that could break if the car's taken care of properly. Ironically it finally met its demise when my dad borrowed it and totaled it while his new sedan was in the shop.
Seems like what makes a car “old” can vary from person to person.

For some driving anything older than 3 years old is a risk they would like to avoid.

The same person may ride a motorcycle or climb Everest for fun, but the stress/worry/fear of a car older than 3 years old breaking down is a real concern.

Think of a person who is deathly afraid of something like spiders...even a picture of one. You could try to rationally explain that their smoking cigarettes is what they should really fear, but that doesn’t negate the fact that they are far more afraid of spiders.

Others may simply get to their happy place by always driving a new car every year. It’s simply a huge priority that takes precedence over things some consider more important (let’s say retirement or health insurance). They may or may not find ways to justify/rationalize their desire to others (it’s safer, more reliable). If a person is truly convinced they need something to be happy you can’t really argue with them.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
it's never dangerous if you know its limitations and are prepared for them. ive been on buses in South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive