Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,835,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The "electric" in diesel electric trains, ships, etc is simply in lieu of a mechanical transmission/clutch. The power comes from the diesel engine.

Some department stores a century ago used electric delivery trucks. They were eventually replace by gas and diesels for overall efficiency reasons. Part of this was the move to suburbia which made distances greater.

Hydrogen requires careful handling. Think Hindenburg.
And because electric trucks back in the teens and twenties had about a ten block range and like 20 batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Of course we would. FYI people got food and medical supplies delivered long before trucks existed. So trucks are not a necessity, even today. The railroads were doing that just fine until the government decided that we needed a new taxpayer subsidized delivery system, for our products.

true enough, but remember back in the day farms were local to the cities, people also grew some of their own food, and we had great cattle drives to move meat around the country. and of course wagons moved food stuffs from the railroad stations to the various areas where it needed to get.

these days, the railroads have the SAME problem they did back in the day, limited number of stops, depots centrally located, and no ability to get products to smaller markets. for instance there are no railroad stations in small towns for the most part, they need to get their products from the stations via trucks.

farms are not generally local to the cities anymore as they tend to be more centrally located in farming communities.

as has been noted, the railroads are limited in where they go, where their stations are, etc. so yes trucks ARE a necessity today.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Over 2/3rds of the passengers and crew survived Hindenburg. If diesel can be stored safely, so can hydrogen.

The electric in a diesel electric train was added for efficiency. It recaptures wasted energy from braking and uses it for low end torque. The diesel is the fuel. Just replace the diesel with a hydrogen fuel cell.
The diesel in most trains is a 2T that spins a generator that runs wheel motors- which do most of the eork. I rarely hear the diesel rev up and I live around trains, so does a friend of mine.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:55 AM

I could see diesel electric for semis. We have hybrid transit busses here and smaller electric ones for short routes. They are working on fully electric semis, I think Tesla built one, I just feel like a fully electric heavy duty commercial vehicle would have a smaller cargo wieght.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
China has experimented with solid state capacitors for busses and quick charge stations at every bus stop.

https://evobsession.com/chinese-elec...test-in-world/

Old 10-23-2018, 03:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Over 2/3rds of the passengers and crew survived Hindenburg. If diesel can be stored safely, so can hydrogen.

The electric in a diesel electric train was added for efficiency. It recaptures wasted energy from braking and uses it for low end torque. The diesel is the fuel. Just replace the diesel with a hydrogen fuel cell.
Another advantage of rail diesel-electric is the added weight. Engine traction is a big problem with steel rails. On highways, weight is a liability that cuts payload.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:59 PM

6,576 posts, read 7,179,847 times
The buses in Twin Cities run on natural gas. The zamboni I drove in Anchorage also ran on it.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Another advantage of rail diesel-electric is the added weight. Engine traction is a big problem with steel rails. On highways, weight is a liability that cuts payload.

even with the weight, diesel locomotives still need a traction assist. so the locomotives carry a large amount of sand on board and they let it out when they need the traction through nozzles in front of the drive wheels.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:02 AM

13,289 posts, read 8,484,651 times
welp since bio fuel or vegetable fuel is an alt. I suggest Brussel sprout juice or aspargus juice. Both have no place in my life other then to be tossed out...So let it be useful in some way! Now to get a chemist to create such for the masses. Besides it would help the farmers make america great again!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,971,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
welp since bio fuel or vegetable fuel is an alt. I suggest Brussel sprout juice or aspargus juice. Both have no place in my life other then to be tossed out...So let it be useful in some way! Now to get a chemist to create such for the masses. Besides it would help the farmers make america great again!
They’ve actually tried that path. The problem is that we use fuel faster than we can grow and process it, plus it requires a lot of land. That path led to algae which is the most efficient fuel per lb per year. That technology has almost completely stalled because the big money investors want a quicker fix with big returns sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive