Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:32 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Trucking is a way to make a great living my younger brother was a owner operator he made over $100,000 a year driving steel in metro Detroit. My oldest daughter is a semi truck driver she works for a major retailer in our area called Meijer she drives 12 hours a night with only a half hour lunch break she will drive over 500 miles in a shift delivering and picking up trailers all over the state she makes over $75,000 a year i say that’s pretty good pay. Hers a picture of the trucks that she drives everyday.

Attachment 204177
When you are working 70 hours a week, you should be making that much. When you break that down to an hourly wage, most truck drivers are making $15 or $20 an hour. Not bad, but not great pay either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Dont forget the repair and parts industries of trucking. Current technologies and personnel would/could be phased out putting more people in the welfare lines. Sure these laces and people could change with the times, but a whole new type of technology requires new skills and equipment that some smaller shops and companies cant afford. Changing technologies, nah! Improving what we have now, yes.
A fuel cell truck wouldn’t really require anymore or less people to work on or drive. I don’t think trucking companies intentionally try and give something for diesel mechanics to work on.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:03 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
When you are working 70 hours a week, you should be making that much. When you break that down to an hourly wage, most truck drivers are making $15 or $20 an hour. Not bad, but not great pay either.
What she likes is that no bosses are around and all she does is hook and unhook trailers no manual unloading if they ask her to help she gets paid extra money and she is in a union with great benefits also and a employee discount on items in the store except food.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 AM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I do think especially semis need changing of fuel source, I can sometimes even smell the fumes all the way from our car when we're travelling.
Diesel is quite polluting, with the big particulates bad for our lungs.

I think natural gas and hydrogen will be the future power sources.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

Diesel is not polluting anymore. (Not in most developed countries, anyway.). In the US, since 2011, diesels have emissions controls on them which makes them emit very little pollutants. Many heavy duty trucks on the road today emit less pollutants than regular gas burning vehicles. There is virtually no more soot/PM or NoX coming out of those tailpipes anymore and that's why on 2011 or newer trucks you don't really see black-tipped exhaust stacks, either (If you do, that is engine oil residue from an oil leak on the engine )

The natural gas fad has been out for a while. I don't see any future in that and neither do most engine makers. It has been tried and now most compay are focusing on electric for short-range hauls. There is still nothing that can be an alternative to diesel on long-haul runs.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

A modern diesel semi on the road emits less pollutants than a Prius. Nobody is going to abandon a mature technology in favor of developing a whole new infrastructure.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A modern diesel semi on the road emits less pollutants than a Prius. Nobody is going to abandon a mature technology in favor of developing a whole new infrastructure.
They have tried natural gas and it has been a miserable failure. All LNG truck engines have now been scrapped and CNG is only being used by a few segments in small numbers. (Refuse and municipal.)

The business case just doesn't justify CNG for most applications and every truck OEM has killed their CNG development. (With the exception of independent engine maker Cummins who is just doing that to try to stay relevant in the truck business as they continue to lose market share.)

Old 10-30-2018, 05:42 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You've pointed this out a couple of times. Do you have a link to the claim?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You've pointed this out a couple of times. Do you have a link to the claim?

https://phys.org/news/2017-07-diesel-gas.html

Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Your own link says this:

"and diesel cars in general emit far more nitrogen oxides, which cause smog and acid rain"

So yeah, about that lower pollution level...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive