Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will any model Saturn ever be considered "Classic"?
Yes, it's just a matter of time 5 8.06%
Probably but not for certian 5 8.06%
Maybe 6 9.68%
I doubt it 15 24.19%
LOL Not a chance in heck 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why it is worth dying on this hill of insisting the Saturns used 100% plastic bodies. They were always steel on the horizontals and plastic on the verticals.

In regards to collectability, I would guess the Sky is the only vehicle that has a chance. It is unique, desirable, and made in low volume.

In terms of plastic panels, the Saturns were always plastic on the vertical panels and steel on the horizontal.

"The SL (and SC) models used a steel spaceframe from which polymer body panels were suspended. The trunk, roof and hood were also formed from steel, but the spaceframe design was supposed to make styling updates simpler for the division." https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/1...991-saturn-sl/

I can go online and find a steel replacement OE hood for a 1st generation Saturn SL.

Only the Corvette and Fiero were ever made with 100% plastic bodies.

The Sky is not plastic either. It has your typical plastic bumpers, but otherwise the body is primarily steel. Made through hydroforming the body panels instead of traditional stamped steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"will any model Saturn ever be considered classic, and appreciate in value"

here's a quote:
Perhaps the biggest problem facing the collector’s car market is the lack of collectors.The ultra-expensive vehicles by far have found their biggest audience in baby boomers, who owned 58% of the nation’s nearly 5 million collectible cars in 2014. But that number has little—if any—room to grow, as the boomers age out of the population. (The latest census showed one-fifth of the country will be 65 or older by 2030.) And their descendants don’t seem willing to pick up where they left off

https://www.dmv.org/articles/decline...llectible-cars

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
I take it back the hood and roof and trunk lid was made of sheet metal. Just the doors and fenders were plastic.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I haven't seen a early Saturn in a long time and I'm in the car heavy southern Calif. I always kind of liked them.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:56 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
IIRC the rear glass was over $1000 to replace. Because of its weird curve/design.

Its quirky design choices like this that can often doom a car to the junkyard. Because who wants to spend more than a car is even worth to replace glass?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
IIRC the rear glass was over $1000 to replace. Because of its weird curve/design.

Its quirky design choices like this that can often doom a car to the junkyard. Because who wants to spend more than a car is even worth to replace glass?
It shared that design with the Cutlass Supreme sedan.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:56 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I take it back the hood and roof and trunk lid was made of sheet metal. Just the doors and fenders were plastic.

Yeah that's what multiple people already told you.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
No they were just a plastic panel sedan with a 4 banger engine, just like a Chevrolet cavalier, or a Pontiac sunbird nothing special about them. You can call Saturn a Roger Smith blunder one of the worst GM CEO’S GM ever had Saturn was one of GM divisions to go under because sales never took off as GM thought they would.
Either your total bias against anything not a Ford is talking and/or you never owned a Saturn and have no idea what you're talking about.

Saturns, with a few exceptions in the later years, were designed, produced, sold, and serviced by Saturn exclusively and separately from GM corporate.

Saturns were never anything like a Chevrolet Cavalier or Pontiac Sunbird and to say otherwise goes beyond merely stating an opinion to being virtually devoid of any factual accuracy.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Unlike conventional auto bodies, Saturn`s fenders, hood, trunk lid and door panels are made of a tough, yet lightweight, plastic. Saturn officials say there are a number of reasons they abandoned steel in favor of plastic.Nov 25, 1990
Wrong again.

The hood, trunk lid, and roof were all made of steel in order to pass the mandated crash tests.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Saturn did ok when they offered what people wanted in that market: inexpensive fuel misers. I had two Saturns, an SL base model, and an SL2. They cost next to nothing to fuel up, and would go 40 miles on a gallon of gas. Their downfall started when they got rid of the S-series and started to go for the mid-size car and SUV market—things they could already get from every other car maker.

If they ever wanted to make another S-series, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Both of my Saturns went well over 200,000 miles. Cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. You can't ask for much better than that.

Spot on.

My mom had a 1994 SL1 that had over 349,000 miles on it when she sold it 7-8 years ago.

She still regrets that decision.

So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive