Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 AM

10,834 posts, read 7,224,770 times

Advertisements

I got stuck about ten cars behind an RV going 5 mph under the limit on a 2 lane road. He wouldn't pull over (even though California law requires that if you have five cars backed up behind you.

Weather was fine, there was little traffic in the other direction, and it was legal, but for some reason, nobody was passing him.

So I worked my way up, passing one car at a time when it was safe. Finally, I start to pass the RV, and he floors it, glaring at me.

I was driving a pickup truck, so had no trouble getting past him. Then I slowed down to the actual speed limit (5 mph faster than he'd been going for miles). But it was at the base of a big hill. I got over the hill fine, but the roadhog and all those cars that wouldn't pass had to crawl.

I kinda felt bad for the other cars, but they could have passed him, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's not true for all roads. When it's in a school zone for instance, I will most certainly drive the limit or very close to it. And driving alongside a bunch of slow/parked cars in case someone jumps out. I use my judgment. I am a human and can be aware of my surroundings and can read potential dangers or blindspots. I'm not a robot just doing 15 over at all times. It sucks that there are people on both sides of the spectrum - speeding blindly or obeying the limit blindly.

You know, everyone should routinely watch Youtube videos involving dashcams and crashes. It keeps you honest in your decision-making and wary of everything that could happen. But in no way is the speed limit a big factor in avoiding crashes. Many are simply a result of stupid decision making or inattention. Here's a good channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuP...oO5JQyg/videos
Wrong. Drive 25 in a 25 and someone pulls out. You have x number of feet to stop. Drive 40 in a 25 and someone pulls out. Your distance to stop is much greater which means your chance of hitting them is also greater.

The stupid decision making in this case is driving over the speed limit.

I lol every time someone tries to justify speeding. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to drive the limit in all cases, but I don't try to justify it. It's still wrong.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
I recently added three cams to our Sorento. A backup cam because my wife has a hard time seeing out the back, a dash cam to catch the stupids that live here, and a dash cam in the rear window to catch the rest of the stupids that live here.

No GPS though. I do drive over the limit on occasion. No need to record it.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:18 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,866,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
All this is to tell you that when you speed down this road - and it is a road that you can do 45 or 50 on if you push it - you run the risk of hitting any of those. You can drive it fairly fast at night because there's no traffic or people on it at all then, but you run the risk of slamming into a deer or a raccoon or even a bear.
Geez, that sounds identical to the road I commute on to work everyday I would say it is the SAME road but of course I am here in PA; perhaps they cloned that road, lol.

The road I travel on goes through numerous villages/towns and of course a creek runs along one side of it. Nowhere to pull off really but there are places to pass...at least a few since it is really hilly.

Sounds like a "fun" road. The good news is that once you drive it more often you will pretty much memorize the areas where you need to be the most vigilant.

I've named various segments of my road. 'Crazy Deer Driveway', 'Oblivious Pedestrian Passageway'. It helps to have a sense of humor about it

Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,025,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I would now be paying for the repair of my front end and Bambi would have gone to that big meadow in the sky.
If Bambi totals my car, he doesn't go to the meadow in the sky, he goes to the freezer in my cellar.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 PM

658 posts, read 715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Please tell me you are not one of those who drive in the left lane of a 3 lane interstate at 5 mph over the limit.....and have a need to get to that left lane as soon as they enter
Every time and I mean EVERY time I see a thread where someone is complaining about a reckless driver and speeder, there's a speeding apologist who feels the need to accuse the OP of crawling in the passing lane.

Face it, you aren't entitled to speed. If you want to go fast, go to a proper racetrack. If you keep showing up late to places, plan your day/route better. There's no excuse for anyone to be doing 60 on a 40 MPH road unless they're an official vehicle with proper lights and sirens to warn everyone around them.

Your ego doesn't equal special privilege. And there's always someone in front of you anyway so don't feel like you got one over on anyone by squeezing in ahead of them. You're still behind a ton of cars and that's not gonna change no matter how fast you go unless it's into a brick wall. Then you won't have to worry about people going the speed limit anymore.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, he had a bad luck, but sometimes I can understand that frustration. You drive for miles behind someone driving the posted speed, and there is no way to pass that person, so frustration builds up, and when the opportunity finally arrives, you speed up, pass that person and get caught by the cops.
I think people who religiously adhere to speed limits should still give a way to those who don't, especially when they drive on the left lane to pass.
Heck, in many states THATS THE LAW. Please READ the laws stated on the link posted below.
The laws don't talk about speed limit, but about OBSTRUCTION of the traffic flow.
People who think they adhere to the laws actually BREAK them. I am not sure when that will be clear to all drivers. I guess some are very slow learner's and have problems with comprehension and common sense.
They are not the traffic police, they are not there to "teach" others how to drive or enforce rules.
They are often a cause of a bad driving behaviors and road rage.
I never understood that people who agree to "live and let live" don't want to accept "drive and let drive".
Really, it should stop being their business if others drive faster that the limit or not.
That’s not the only annoying thing that drivers do in the fast lane. They leave more than 20 car lengths between themselves and the car in front of them; they match the speed of the person next to them, which is blocking anyone from passing in either lane; and they speed up and slow down based on how much they are paying attention. All of these things are annoying, and depending on what state you are in or if you are driving on a federal highway, any of them could be illegal!
READ THIS:
https://www.grandtournation.com/4906...ep-right-laws/
And speeders don't have the right to bully everyone else on the road, either. Tailgating because you have no emotional control isn't everyone else's problem. Putting yourself in situations that are dangerous for everyone on the road because you allowed yourself to get frustrated isn't an excuse. "But I was annoyed!" isn't a defense. It's not up to speeders and scofflaws to teach others how fast to drive or try to force them to go faster. Or to punish them for not obeying Mr Joe Blow who is having a conniption fit in his truck because he can't keep his temper under control. We don't have to obey speeders. They have the freedom to get off the road, take another route, pass and so on without causing danger. You're making excuses for people who are allowing their emotions to get out of control.

"I guess some are very slow learner's and have problems with comprehension"

I'm having a real problem with this sentence but I don't want to point it out so I'll just leave it here.

Speeders and impatient egoists aren't traffic police, either. And when those people smash into barriers and other cars and hurt other people when they spin out of control, they're causing a hell of a lot more damage, pain and suffering than anyone has experienced just being stuck behind a slow driver.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Familiar with it.. Very similar up in the Cashiers area of NC as well and heading from Asheville into Gatlinburg, TN.

Most of them I've seen even have signs saying "Passing area ahead".. And I've never noticed a-hole drivers on those roads.. I'm sure they happen, I just haven't seen them. People seem to be calmer when they know they will be able to pass within the next 2 to 3 miles or so.

The way the law is written.. If you were doing 10mph over and you didn't get out of the way of someone coming up doing 50mph over.. YOU could get a ticket. Georgia has taken the stand that the left lane is for passing and passing only, dammit.

Good or bad, I won't weigh in on it, just.. That's what it is.
And tons of chronic speeders also drive in the passing lane because they just like going fast and that's that. They aren't obeying the law, they are using the passing lane as a personal speeding lane.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:38 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
I have a story similar to the one in the OP.

In Vermont, towns get to keep 50% of their ticket revenue. Some towns are “enthusiastic” about speed traps because it’s such a big revenue source. Everyone knows those towns and you keep it to 5 mph over the limit so you don’t get tickets.

I was on a town road taking a well known shortcut doing speed limit + 5. I look in my mirror and see nothing but an enormous grille of a full size SUV tailgating me. At the first safe place to do it, I pull over and the massive hulk of sheet metal with NY plates roars by. 1/2 mile up the road, they’re pulled over by a town cop getting their $200 ticket.

I’m a lifetime habitual speeder so I watch my mirrors and let the people pass. I’m also situationally aware enough that I’m doing speed limit + 4 on the adaptive cruise control on secondary roads where there are frequent speed traps and speed limit + 9 on limited access highways where speed traps are common. On Route 128 in Boston, I’m going 80 in a 55 in moderate traffic just like everyone else.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 AM

6,602 posts, read 5,846,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a story similar to the one in the OP.

In Vermont, towns get to keep 50% of their ticket revenue. Some towns are “enthusiastic” about speed traps because it’s such a big revenue source. Everyone knows those towns and you keep it to 5 mph over the limit so you don’t get tickets.

I was on a town road taking a well known shortcut doing speed limit + 5. I look in my mirror and see nothing but an enormous grille of a full size SUV tailgating me. At the first safe place to do it, I pull over and the massive hulk of sheet metal with NY plates roars by. 1/2 mile up the road, they’re pulled over by a town cop getting their $200 ticket.

I’m a lifetime habitual speeder so I watch my mirrors and let the people pass. I’m also situationally aware enough that I’m doing speed limit + 4 on the adaptive cruise control on secondary roads where there are frequent speed traps and speed limit + 9 on limited access highways where speed traps are common. On Route 128 in Boston, I’m going 80 in a 55 in moderate traffic just like everyone else.
You should get a cut of the profits. This more than anything else would teach tailgaters to slow down.

Well, the best thing would be many unmarked patrol cars on the roads, and some hefty fines and suspended sentences to teach these fools a lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive