Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:08 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

The Mazda 3 is in a class by itself when it comes to compact sedans. Handles great, has good power, looks good, and doesnt have a crappy CVT. Best of all its right in your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have a 2008 Mazda3 S Sport that I purchased brand new in 2008 and it's ten years old now and has 187K miles on it. So, I want a new car now. The new car must be under $25K (including all added features) and it must be 100% brand new.

One feature I'm particular about, however, is the acceleration. My Mazda3 has a 2.3L 4-cylinder engine with 151 hp and 149 lb-ft torque. I have no idea if these specs mean anything for acceleration ability though. But I want to make sure that my next car has the same or better acceleration. It's so hard to determine this just by browsing online.

The car must be small, about similar in size to my Mazda3. I don't like tiny cars or even midsize cars at all. I want a 4-door sedan. No hatchbacks, crossovers or SUVs. Better MPG is of course, better. As long as it's not worse than 22/29 MPG, which is what I have now. Another thing I'm particular about is the windshield. I like the windshield to be as transparent as possible. I want a bright sunny day to look super bright and sunny and not tinted in the slightest. I'm open to any and all brands.

So, please suggest to me some cars to look at. I will test drive them and also make sure the seats are comfortable (I have chronic back pain). I'm hoping to purchase in November.

Thanks
OP, I read this and instantly knew what kind of car you should buy, a Lamborghini Urue, I know you said you're only interested in sedans but we don't believe you and you said you had a budget but we also don't believe you.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Finding a brand-new vehicle under $25K, which accelerates at least as quickly as a Mazda 3 with the 2.3 liter engine, and which is a proper sedan, is going to be challenging in the American market. Then mainstream family sedans which do accelerate more quickly, are going to be over $25K. The compact cars that meet the pricr and acceleration criteria, are not going to be proper sedans.

I would strongly recommend looking at a car that's 3-5 years old, instead of brand new.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:37 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Hondas in general tend to have a reputation for being more "sporty" which typically means more responsive steering, lower to the ground, stiffer suspension, etc.

A reputation I never understood after having driven one. The only vehicle I had ever driven that was more of a snail than my old Civic was a Ford E350 15-passenger van! My old Saturns had more get-up-and-go.
That Civic was a 2001 model, so maybe they've gotten better, but I was not impressed with it from an acceleration standpoint. It was great on gas, though!

Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Finding a brand-new vehicle under $25K, which accelerates at least as quickly as a Mazda 3 with the 2.3 liter engine, and which is a proper sedan, is going to be challenging in the American market. Then mainstream family sedans which do accelerate more quickly, are going to be over $25K. The compact cars that meet the pricr and acceleration criteria, are not going to be proper sedans.

I would strongly recommend looking at a car that's 3-5 years old, instead of brand new.
Might not be a bad idea. Looks like a 2-3 yr old Mazda 3 with under 50k miles can be had for around $13-14k. If you plan on running this one to 180k+ miles, maybe it’s worth saving $~$6k in exchange for a little mileage.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:03 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The Mazda 3 is in a class by itself when it comes to compact sedans. Handles great, has good power, looks good, and doesnt have a crappy CVT. Best of all its right in your budget.
Correct.
Thank you.

Stick with the Mazda 3 or Toyota Camry. Both do not have the experimental CVT transmissions and do have regular automatic transmissions.

A manual if desired is excellent also with the two vehicles mentioned above.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:16 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
New mazda 3 or the mazda 6.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:01 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Not necessarily.

I just found out that a car I want to buy new is listed as 5K below sticker less than my local dealers.
This is a gigantic dealer in Virginia that has 187 of this one trim while all of my local dealers have 1 or 2 at the most.

If the OP goes to a very large Mazda dealer, where the dealer is able to sell alot of cars at near cost, he could conceivably get a new one under 25k, just depends on what car he wants.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Correct.
Thank you.

Stick with the Mazda 3 or Toyota Camry. Both do not have the experimental CVT transmissions and do have regular automatic transmissions.

A manual if desired is excellent also with the two vehicles mentioned above.
Camry is larger than he wants, would be the Corolla.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Check out the Jetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive