Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:17 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times

Advertisements

I always hear how great Subaru's are in snow but I never had any luck with our Outback, it was quite squirrelly on snowy roads . Ironically, the Legacy I had was much better, and though I had gotten it high centered before, it handled quite well. My Audi on the other hand can practically plow snow without getting stuck and I choose that over my Land Cruiser during a snow storm. I have snow tires on it, but is essentially a snowmobile on wheels. While everyone is spinning their tires trying to get traction when the light turns green, I am already far ahead.

As far as AWD goes, from my own personal experience, it is superior to a FWD car with snow tires. It absolutely helps you control the vehicle better going down the road as well as cornering ability. If a FWD car gets wheel spin it will practically pull the car in that direction while AWD will help you maintain/ regain control. I would agree that the stopping ability is the same, but where I live AWD is a must for the winter, again, just based off of personal experience.

Living in New England, its quite frustrating to see how many people drive unacceptable vehicles during a snow storm. Driving in the snow is fun if you have a capable vehicle and know how to handle it. With that said, there are definitely some vehicles with better AWD systems than others but regardless, for snowy weather, AWD and snow tires are a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 07:19 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
FWD with snow tires is probably plenty sufficient. If you want to be extra safe, go Subaru style AWD with snow tires.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:36 AM

574 posts, read 382,920 times
No truck bed needed? Subaru, if ya want decent mileage and easy to park

Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, I was able to maneuver in fairly deep new snow in driveways, for instance, with just front wheel drive and a lot of patience. You drive forwards and then rock backwards, and then move forwards again, etc.
Quick way to burn up a front wheel drive automatic transmission.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
^^^This.^^^

Also, new Volkswagens (2018 forward) all come with a standard 6 year/72,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, which is one of the best (if not the best), so reliability issues should not be a concern.
Don't conflate warranty with reliability. Old Kias and Hundais, as well as some old Dodge junk, have 100k warranties and needed them. Doesn't help when the car won't start or the dash looks like a Christmas tree due to warning lights.

A friend has a Passat diesel and another a Jetta diesel. The engines are great but they've had so many electrical problems from new that it wasn't worth it. Anecdotal, yes, but they are the only people I know who have Volkswagens so it's 100% failure across that sample size.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:38 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In 50 years of driving I have never seen chains on a car in Alaska. Never. I don't know anyone who owns a set of chains. I'd be surprised if anyone in Wisconsin uses them either.
Studs, yes. Chains, no. I miss the days when Anchorage used to leave an inch thick layer of packed snow and ice with some sand on the city streets to allow use of studs. Now they seem to plow to the concrete which wears out my studs. They also seem to use salt now which really sucks. Never had rust on any of my trucks in Alaska until they started with the salt.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The biggest snow I see in northern Wisconsin is Drummond at 72" and Bayfield where you get lake effect with 103". Most of the state gets more like 30" to 50" per year. The highest point in Wisconsin is Timms Hill at 1,900 feet. There isn't any mountain driving. Most of the state is totally flat.

Unless you live on a long dirt road or somewhere plowing is horrible, any FWD car with snow tires will do just fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I always hear how great Subaru's are in snow but I never had any luck with our Outback, it was quite squirrelly on snowy roads .

Here's mine with Nokians on cheap Tire Rack closeout alloy wheels. The stock Bridgestones are not good winter tires. As has been written 20 times in this thread, tires are what matters. I winter at a ski resort with 200" of annual snowfall in my driveway and there are only a few days per winter where AWD and ground clearance matter. It's a bigger deal to have the clearance at mud month.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Says the guy from southwest Florida. As an Alaskan with over 50 years of Alaska driving experience, I'll take an AWD car with factory tires over any FWD car with Blizzaks or any other winter tire any day of the year, especially winter days. My wife has a Subaru Outback and she'll be moving long after that FWD with Blizzaks is spinning its front wheel. Same with me and my Chevy Silverado.
I agree with this.

My old AWD car with decent all-seasons was much more capable than my current FWD car with snow tires. I'll take 4-wheels turning vs 2 any day.

But with that said, my recommendation would be an AWD vehicle with good ground clearance and winter tires.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Stop propagating this stupid crap, yes, we all know 90 and early 2000's VW's were quite unreliable but that is not the case anymore.

I had a 2001 MK IV GTI for 14x,000 miles that was solid. The scheduled timing belt/water pump replacement at 105K miles was by far my biggest repair bill. In those years, it really depended on where the car was built. If you were driving a poverty spec $13,999 Mexican Jetta with the 2.Slow and rear drum brakes, yeah. Total garbage. The German GLI trim level of the same car was fine. My German-built MK V 2007 GTI was solid, too. I traded it because my SUV was rusting to bits and wanted to consolidate to one car. Like any recent car, most of them will go 150K miles without much expensive going wrong. A GTI is certainly a more interesting daily driver than a CamCord.

Here's the kind of day I took the SUV skiing. You don't have many of those in Wisconsin. I ran studded snow tires on the SUV. That thing was dangerous on black ice with the stock tires. In normal winter driving conditions, my GTIs with snow tires were better than the SUV because they were so much lighter. They had much better cornering and braking.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive