Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:23 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They made a very rare unicorn. V10 TDI diesel, but in reality it had many problems according to sources.
What about that W8 motor? It was very fuel efficient but like all things German expensive to maintain despite it being two VR motors that were mated together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Volkswagen Phaeton.
A magnificent machine with the wrong badge on it.
That's the biggest problem VW has and IMO will always have. No one wants to fork over more than $45,000 for one of their cars. Audi may be a great car but it's over priced too.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr_nyr View Post
that's the biggest problem vw has and imo will always have. No one wants to fork over more than $45,000 for one of their cars. Audi may be a great car but it's over priced too.

$15,000

Old 10-28-2018, 07:06 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
The Chevy Impala SS and Buick Lucerne Super with the LS4 V8. They look completely unassuming but they have some serious straight-line speed. I'd add the Grand Prix GXP with the same motor but that car actually looks the part.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In your opinion what are the 5 most underrated cars? Here's my list.

1. VW Touareg: I'm still not entirely sure why this car didn't sell well in the states. It was priced decently for a premium suv, had good off-road capability, a great interior and a really good V8. I guess the VW badge hurt its sales. It's a shame this car is no longer available state side.
One of the most problematic VWs ever made. It was plagued with problems and a big money pit to maintain. VW may have a good concept for a premium SUV but nobody wants a problem ridden SUV.

Quote:
2. Hyundai Tiburon: I know a Hyundai sports car will never be at the top of people's buy list. Especially one from the 2000's. However I always found this to be a fun inexpensive sports car. I actually thought it was one of the first good cars Hyundai made. It deserves more street cred than it gets.
It was made when sports coupes lost their popularity. People wanted tune-able turbo hatchbacks and the Tibbys never made any decent power or had super handling.

Quote:
3. Toyota Venza: It's a shame this vehicle got canned, it sold well in its early years. Toyota hurt it by not giving it a proper remodel. It got bashed by reviewers for some reason. I thought it fit a really good niche for people who want a comfortable vehicle with storage space, but don't want something big like the Highlander. It was also pretty close to being a traditional wagon. I liked the way this vehicle looked and wish Toyota would bring it back.
It was an ugly crossover that tried to bank on the popular crossover segment but failed to realize that crossover was a short-lived concept as people moved on to SUVs.

Quote:
4. Suzuki Kizashi: I don't think anyone will actually remember this vehicle. It was essentially Suziki's swan song here in the states. It actually was a really solid mid-size sedan. It's a shame that Suzuki went out the moment they got something right.
You can thank Hyundai for displacing Suzuki and having GM has a steward doesn't help their situation. Suzuki has a number of good vehicles overseas and GM has contributed to their demise here by not bringing many of their popular cars here like the Swift.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:06 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The SHO was the best bang for the buck that you could get. It hit all the popular segments, performance, handling, luxury, roomy, it has a large trunk and was a great family hauler.
Wasn’t the engine made by Yamaha or someone similar?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I had that car as a rental once. If it wasn't a short business trip, I may have inquired if a trade was possible. But I was actually quite impressed with it after two days. I do agree that it was likely ahead of its time. Albeit it's hard to get over that ugly front though.

As someone who is biased towards handling. I think wagons in general are underrated in this world of *UVs. I wish there was enough of a market here to continually bring over (or make) wagons. Especially performance ones like the Subaru Lavorg or Audi RS5 Avants .
My dream is for VW to bring over the Golf R Wagon or for Audi to bring over the S4 Avant. But alas, US shoppers don’t want regular wagons. They want wagons with a 3” lift they can call CUVs.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Minivans. Really, almost any minivan. Some are better than others, naturally, but as a category a minivan is about the most practical vehicle you can own if you need the space. People want SUV's, they complain about not wanting to be that minivan driver, but they're letting their ego or their self-image or something take precedence over their common sense. Mine was a Plymouth Grand Voyager, AWD, and it was great. Carried everything and everybody I ever needed to carry, went everywhere, extremely reliable. Everyone who is considering an SUV should look seriously at a minivan.

Pontiac Aztek. The problem was that they were so ugly, but my wife's cousin who worked for the UAW said that all the GM people said if they could just get someone to drive one they would see how great and practical it was. That's even without that Walter White cachet!

Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
SHO had the yamaha built engine, along with the volvo vc90(?).

Reaching back into my memory bank, the pontiac bonneville with the 3.8 l supercharged engine was a fast reliable hooptie as well. Handled like a champ!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Not that I am aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive