Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think Texas is it's own region. I know for Toyota, Texas is completely independent of the rest of the country and has their own promos.

As far as worth, heck with the rebate, it's not worth it. $60K for a pickup? Nuts. Especially when they're throwing $20K on the hood of the '18s.
LOL! It's big enough to be and explains the unique rebates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Yes, at least until dealers are given rebates to work with. If they do discount now, it will likely be contingent on dealer financing (where the true interest rates from banks are not transparent to the buyer) and quickly recovered in either padded interest rates or protection plans via the finance manager.
Just pulled up a local chev dealer here in MN. They are offering $3k-$6k off MSRP on all their 2019s right now. There are lots of '18s to clear out. As soon as those are gone the discounts on the '19s will go even higher . No one pays MSRP on domestic trucks.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 AM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I was randomly looking around at what people actually paid for Ram quadcabs with the eco Diesel engine. It seems a lot of people were getting $8-10k off MSRP so a $52k truck with all sorts of add-ons might actually cost $42k after negotiating and rebates.

A basic Honda CRV for example might go for something like $28k so that’s a difference of $14k.

I’ve noticed over the last few years that the used truck market is pretty hot. For example, my neighbor sold a 2005 or so Tacoma with ~140k for about $8k. Someone else I know bought a 2007 or so Ram with leather, chrome wheels and HEMI for $12k...it had nearly 200k miles.

So let’s say the truck driver drives the Ram for 10 years and it has 150k miles. I would think a truck like that (especially a diesel) would sell for $12k or so. The CRV with 150k may go for $7k.

Thus, the CRV’s net cost savings is about $9k. Of course, that is a good bit of money for a lot of people.

However, the person buying the Ram basically has all the functionality and ammenities of the CRV with access to the capabilities of a truck...for 10 years. That has value if you actually use it.

Anyway, I just happened to casually look this morning. Maybe my numbers are way off, but it doesn’t seem like the person driving a “big” truck is actually paying THAT much more compared to people driving something like a midsize CUV/SUV. Looking at it on a per year basis - the truck may cost something like $1000 more per year or $83/month.

I am currently researching my next truck purchase. I was really sold on a pre owned Suburban, or Yukon XL. I do a moderate amount of towing (around #4500) total thru the winter and summer seasons. And when not towing we would use it travel back and forth to our rural cabin. It's just my wife, myself and two dogs and a lot of stuff.
Current vehicle is a 2005 2500 Ram Quad cab / Cummins. It's got close to 160k miles on it. It tows great but runs low on cargo capacity when he head north. And it's also starting to nickel and dime me to death.
After research the whole full size SUV thing, even pre owned, I just can't spend that much. So I started looking at smaller SUV's and for close to the same prices I can get a full sized pickup, although it puts us close to the same situation we are in now with cargo capacity, unless I go with a Ram Mega cab. I can get a Chrysler discount thru my father which helps. So far I've built up a 2500 Mega Cab Laramie with a gas engine and can probably get that for less than a used Yukon XL Denali, or a new mid size SUV.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I am currently researching my next truck purchase. I was really sold on a pre owned Suburban, or Yukon XL. I do a moderate amount of towing (around #4500) total thru the winter and summer seasons. And when not towing we would use it travel back and forth to our rural cabin. It's just my wife, myself and two dogs and a lot of stuff.
Current vehicle is a 2005 2500 Ram Quad cab / Cummins. It's got close to 160k miles on it. It tows great but runs low on cargo capacity when he head north. And it's also starting to nickel and dime me to death.
After research the whole full size SUV thing, even pre owned, I just can't spend that much. So I started looking at smaller SUV's and for close to the same prices I can get a full sized pickup, although it puts us close to the same situation we are in now with cargo capacity, unless I go with a Ram Mega cab. I can get a Chrysler discount thru my father which helps. So far I've built up a 2500 Mega Cab Laramie with a gas engine and can probably get that for less than a used Yukon XL Denali, or a new mid size SUV.
I have an 07 Ram quad cab and just bought an F150 Supercab. All a suburban is is a full sized short bed pickup with a crew cab, basically the same thing. But as far as interior cargo space, Dodge has the smallest of the normal 4 door with the quad cab. Ford and Chevy have roomy crew cabs with 4 full size doors (and not going to the giant MEGA cab RAM). The problem (why I bought the super cab F150) is finding a true, standard 6.5ft shortbed (at least in the 1/2 tons) on the lot on the full crew cabs and I wasn't settling for something with a 5 1/2ft bed. But they are available. I think all the crew cab 3/4 ton Chevy and Fords have the 6.5ft bed though.

I just put a bed cover on my F150 but am thinking about going with a cap for my Ram, kinda making it like a suburban!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

496 posts, read 445,400 times
I've been looking to replace my car. I was looking into trucks. I only like the crew cab models because they have space more like a sedan inside. I found the Dodges tend to have better pricing than other makes. I think the depreciation is higher with a Dodge. I don't know if they're less reliable or not.

Ultimately I decided I'll probably get another sedan, because I don't tow anything and the bed just isn't something I'd ever use. So the only real point to a truck for me would be the higher position.

I don't care much for the crossovers though, if I wanted an SUV I'd get a more typical one like an Explorer.

Years ago everyone bought regular cabs, even into more recent times. Extended cabs were a little more common and you didn't see crew cabs. i just like a crew cab better, because you have more space out of the weather. Plus regular cabs just feel tight to me, you can't move the seat around as much, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive