Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
New vehicles are out of the affordability range of many people, which is what generates the complaining. For those who do buy new, the trend has been greatly extending loan term lengths or turning to leasing to afford a more expensive vehicle.
There are also those that have a good down payment, and/or trade. When I bought my F150 I traded in my long paid-off 2007 Ranger, and they gave me $8,400. With an additional down payment, the monthly payment was very affordable without going out for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 06:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Good for you that’s great i see many people my age in their 60’s reliving their youth by buying vets or muscle cars i say to them more power to you i think it’s great because you can’t take it with you.
It kind of depends on their retirement math. It’s pretty easy to blow through a 401(k) in a few years doing things like buying awesome vehicles.

I pay cash for my cars. It keeps my from over-buying. It’s really easy to rationalize that extra $100/month and extra couple years of payments. I think an awful lot of full size pickup purchases with the loaded trim level fall into that category. If you really need a truck, the base trim level does the job. That’s not what people are buying. They’re buying the status symbol.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:33 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It kind of depends on their retirement math. It’s pretty easy to blow through a 401(k) in a few years doing things like buying awesome vehicles.

I pay cash for my cars. It keeps my from over-buying. It’s really easy to rationalize that extra $100/month and extra couple years of payments. I think an awful lot of full size pickup purchases with the loaded trim level fall into that category. If you really need a truck, the base trim level does the job. That’s not what people are buying. They’re buying the status symbol.
Hers my thoughts on that i don’t care what people buy it’s none of my business what people do with their money so so i don’t care if they are buying the status symbol good for them it doesn’t effect my life so who cares what people buy with their money. If you pay cash for your cars then good for you, but saying people are just keeping up with the Jones doesn’t matter to me because it doesn’t effect my life so i don’t post about why people buy what they buy i have more important things in my life than to try and figure out why people do what they do with their money. If they want a decked out pickups good for them. Thers to much psychological theory in these treads about why people do what they do, this is a automotive fourm not a psychological fourm.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:48 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
That is a dealer discount. Chevrolet.com shows $0.
It is still a discount.......which if one dealer on Ebay is doing it, then it means they all will do it to move inventory.

If they were such a hot commodity then no one would be discounting. I think the truck will be a flop, I stopped and looked at them. The "Bat scoop" front fenders are terrible and the rear of the truck looks like a Tundra. If I needed a pickup I would buy a discounted leftover 2018.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Just to add another option to the conversation:

Most people do not need a pickup despite those 3 trips to Home Depot per year to get mulch, a Christmas tree and a sheet of plywood. I have a friend obsessed with having a truck (he is a Dr. by day). He already has an SUV so I told him to just use the hitch on the SUV to pull a utility trailer. You can rent small trailers from Home Depot or Uhaul for $40 a day or less. Heck if you had to "own" one then $1500 would get you a 6X12 or something close. That utility trailer is easier to load than any pickup, gives you the option of simply dropping the trailer vs. having to unload on the spot like in a truck. Buy a pallet of mulch, but you don't want to lay it in the yard that day. With a trailer just unhitch and leave it on the trailer until your ready vs. having to unload the truck because you need to drive somewhere and don't want the pallet of mulch in the bed.

Trailers are awesome and most SUV's can pull a decent sized one when necessary. So why spend 40-50-60K on a truck where the bed goes unused for weeks/months vs. a nice SUV that can be utilized more and can pull a trailer when necessary?

My Dr. friend bought an old pickup and has been getting hit with $300-350 repairs regularly trying to keep it on the road. He thought new trucks were overpriced so he went the beater routine.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is still a discount.......which if one dealer on Ebay is doing it, then it means they all will do it to move inventory.

If they were such a hot commodity then no one would be discounting. I think the truck will be a flop, I stopped and looked at them. The "Bat scoop" front fenders are terrible and the rear of the truck looks like a Tundra. If I needed a pickup I would buy a discounted leftover 2018.
That’s your opinion but my opinion is different I like the looks of it and so do many others. Chevrolet truck enthusiasts will buy them remember Chevrolet is the #2 pickup maker in the country behind Ford. That’s what makes America great everyone is intitled to their own opinions.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:01 AM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Shill for Honda much? Half? Why comment when you don't know what you're talking about. Unless by "half" you mean "nearly identical".

Honda CR-V MPG - Actual MPG from 5,047 Honda CR-V owners 25 mpg
Ram 1500 MPG - Actual MPG from 1,024 Ram 1500 owners 23 mpg
Comparing the proverbial apple to an orange, the CRV is gas and the Ram is diesel.

Not disputing your comment doubting "half". I think that's a bit of an over-exaggeration, but the comparison is faulty.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I have a Silverado LTZ. I didn't buy it as a status symbol, I bought it because it had the options I wanted. And it can tow my travel trailer. A base trim truck doesn't meet my needs. There are way too many pickups on the road for my LTZ to ever be considered a status symbol. Even a High Country is just considered another pickup.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Good for you that’s great i see many people my age in their 60’s reliving their youth by buying vets or muscle cars i say to them more power to you i think it’s great because you can’t take it with you.
I've had a "classic" car for years, not a muscle car but a Merkur XR4Ti.
As show cars go, it was cheap. Put it in winter storage today...

I want an even rarer car for a DD, a Cadillac ELR. They were really expensive new, but will be cheap by the time I get it.
I like stuff no one else has. Like you I don't expect to drive much when I'm retired. Probably will go electric almost all the time.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:16 AM

13,653 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
... The good news is until our personal choices begin affecting others they're nobody else's business!
Choices made by specific individuals don’t affect me, but in a market economy, the aggregate choices made by the consumer-public most definitely matter.

For example, I like manual transmissions –the traditional kind, with a hydraulic clutch. Most people don’t. Manufacturers, taking note of consumer tastes, invested in smoother and more efficient automatic transmissions. As engine horsepower levels increased, automatic transmissions evolved, to reliably and efficiently transmit the higher power; manuals lagged. This become a self-reinforcing loop. Today, even if one wants a manual transmission, it is often unavailable, or only available in a lower-power trim. Even if a bunch of enthusiasts were to clamor for a manual transmission, it would be cost-prohibitive for manufacturers to develop one.

But if the buying-public thought that automatic transmissions were a needless technological complexity and a gruff intrusion into what’s properly the driver’s personal choice, manufacturers would have responded, and today we’d have found a plethora of manual transmissions.

The same happened with trucks and SUVs. Consumers wanted trucks, and manufacturers delivered. Much of the demographic that in the 70s bought coupes or sporting-cars, today buys trucks. Consequently, it’s gotten awfully hard to find anything with 2 doors anymore. Young people today may have no inkling, that once upon a time, even a Corolla or a Buick could commonly have 2 doors.

The next casualty will be the lever-actuated, cable-connected parking brake. It is disappearing from sporting cars (for example, the Camaro) – and soon might become a mere relic. If consumers cried out in alarm, manufacturers would relent. But I hear no such cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive