Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Eww..

It really isn't a Camaro without a V8 and 2.3L Mustangs are not real Mustangs. My kid drives a Powerwheels Mustang and it's not real either. It's all just for pretend.
A 2.3 Mustang is a real Mustangs, a 5.0 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 4.2 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 3.3 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 3.8 Mustang is a real Mustang. Ford built them, organized the engines to be put in them and orchestrated the vehicle to suite multiple different types of drivers whether they wanted to drag race, road race, get decent fuel economy, or a slight balance between a lil bit of fuel economy and a lil bit of power. It wasn't intended to just be a straight up race-potential only vehicle and just about each engine ever offered has some sort of performance potential. If it's not a real Mustang, it was probably made by Dynacorn, like the Hoonicorn was. Go ahead and tell somebody with an original 250 straight six powered 66 Mustang, their car isn't a real Mustang. Just so you know; the lima 2.3 is capable of 300hp n/a, and nearly 500hp with a turbo, and it's block is far more stout than a windsor 302s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Dodge has an 840hp Demon and neither Mustang nor Camaro have one. The best they can do is a 700hp electric car. Some things just remain unchallenged.
Sure, but nobody needs a 840hp muscle car, much like nobody really needs a 1000hp 312mph sports car. GM did build a Demon killing Camaro, they just didn't mass produce it. But then again... outweighing my Vic by nearly 3000lbs, it needs 840hp.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Doesnt make any sense to bolt an electric motor to a transmission, you dont need a tranny in this case.
But alot of wrenchers out there are actually ego dependent on a gas motor. The whole mine is bigger than yours thing.
Its a hell of a conversion, you have to install batteries, change the central computer, update software for the rest of the computers, lotta work.
Id love an all electric commuter car though, Id buy one if they made a tame version camaro. Looks much better than a tesla.
True on the transmission, but it's easier than bolting it directly to the rear diff. There are various EVs with some sort of transmission, and it helps manage power and torque. There are just as many that don't have transmissions.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:14 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
The torque these cars are capable of is incredible and that's what gives them the 0 to mindblow capability. But jerry rigging an electric onto a standard transmission, assuming you've changed the gearing, means the weakest link is going to blow. As my dad said to us high school students, if you drop in that muscle engine you've got to do the tranny and the rear end as well. Of course, we never listened!! Lots of blown trannys back in the sixties.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
A 2.3 Mustang is a real Mustangs, a 5.0 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 4.2 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 3.3 Mustang is a real Mustang, a 3.8 Mustang is a real Mustang. Ford built them, organized the engines to be put in them and orchestrated the vehicle to suite multiple different types of drivers whether they wanted to drag race, road race, get decent fuel economy, or a slight balance between a lil bit of fuel economy and a lil bit of power. It wasn't intended to just be a straight up race-potential only vehicle and just about each engine ever offered has some sort of performance potential. If it's not a real Mustang, it was probably made by Dynacorn, like the Hoonicorn was. Go ahead and tell somebody with an original 250 straight six powered 66 Mustang, their car isn't a real Mustang. Just so you know; the lima 2.3 is capable of 300hp n/a, and nearly 500hp with a turbo, and it's block is far more stout than a windsor 302s.
The Mustang is meant for a V8, the other options are for people who don't have the cash. Hence on lower engine choices they pump in fake engine noises and don't bother putting a trim level badge on it.

Coincidently I actually know a guy with a 66' straight six powered Mustang and he ripped out the engine and put in a 302 from a 90's Thunderbird. He would have much rather have had the much more valuable and more fun GT from that year.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Sure, but nobody needs a 840hp muscle car, much like nobody really needs a 1000hp 312mph sports car. GM did build a Demon killing Camaro, they just didn't mass produce it. But then again... outweighing my Vic by nearly 3000lbs, it needs 840hp.
Nobody needs a 700hp car either.

On that note nobody really needs anything over 100-200 hp (depending on the size of the car). People buy more power than they need just because they can. Otherwise everybody should just be driving base model Corollas.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
The torque these cars are capable of is incredible and that's what gives them the 0 to mindblow capability. But jerry rigging an electric onto a standard transmission, assuming you've changed the gearing, means the weakest link is going to blow. As my dad said to us high school students, if you drop in that muscle engine you've got to do the tranny and the rear end as well. Of course, we never listened!! Lots of blown trannys back in the sixties.
Then you gotta upgrade to drag slicks otherwise you just make a lot of smoke. The weakest link will eventually make itself known somewhere.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
I absolutely love it. The dinosaurs will shriek and wail "but, but, it's electric!" but I totally would be interested in purchasing an EV like this. Consumers need more choices than the Prius and Volt. Great news.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:09 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
"It's not a Camaro without a v8!" Like when they started making 2.3 Mustangs again''.

Just doesn't flow as well without the typos.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
There's actually a few blogs I follow on YouTube or IG where guys are bolting electric motors directly to the trans with adapters and doing this DIY style. All 100% custom work of course. Very interesting that now a mainstream manufacturer has developed a bolt in solution. Always wondered what it would be like to shift an electrically driven vehicle.
That is very cool, its always great to see someone doing things like this, but I hope they are not telling many people about this in the area they live!! mainly that their car no longer requires fuel to operate...that is something law enforcement may come after him over!!

I remember reading about a guy who tinkered around and modified his car engine to run on water vapor...authorities and I believe people from dept of energy, came, seized everything and gave him a big fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive