Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I love that VW is now offering 45 colors to choose from on the Golf R.
That teal color is to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Apparently, for some years now the most popular car color in the US (also mostly everywhere else too) is white, followed by black, gray and silver. Is that because consumers are a bit shy of flashy things and tend to play it safe when and if they are buying a new car?
That trend has persisted over the years. Meaning the likelihood of a flood of more adventurous colors on the market is not great, hence, the rarer it is, the higher price tag it can command?
What is the deal? Is it because everyone is just in a really cranky mood and just doesn’t feel like happy colors?
There used to be some pretty spectacular car colors around the turn of the century.

I guess you might find some explanation here:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cons...so-boring-now/
Here is more to it:
https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutori...lack-car-india

Will that trend change anytime soon?
Local Color: Unusual Paint Hues at the 2018 Chicago Auto Show | The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide® The Daily Drive | Consumer Guide®
Check Out Some of the Coolest Car Colors Available Now - AutoNation Drive

What (not so popular car color) you find most beautiful?
Wow, thanks for sharing the cool colors! I have been complaining for ages about how boring most paint jobs look these days.

I don't really know if I can pick a single favorite color. The color has to work with the style of the car, and what I would like on one, I would not care for on another. One thing I am less than crazy about is some of the new golden/brownish paint jobs. They remind me of ugly kitchen appliances from the 70s. I also tend to prefer colors that look pure and fresh, for lack of a better description, as opposed to those that seem sort of "muddy" to me. That can be a close call - two colors that are actually pretty similar, and I like one and hate the other.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:18 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
If I lived in the blazing hot southern part of the country, I’d buy a white car, too. My first new car many years ago was black. Unless I had a servant to wash it every day, I’d never own a black car again.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:25 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,163 times
How is a primary color "boring" but another solid color "excites you"???

I don't get it.

3 years later do you walk up to your car in the parking lot and go:
"WOW, My car is an EXCITING GREEN!!!! " and get all hyped up the rest of the day?

I prefer not to buy black because it gets hot.
White because it shows dirt, and if prefer to skip pink or neon green or whatever.... But I really don't see how a solid color can be "exciting"

buddy of mine used to do custom paint jobs, metallic flakes with a paint that looked like several different colors depending on the angle.... I'd never pay for it, but I could PERHAPS see how that could be called "exciting"....

But a regular solid color: please explain.
(Honest question, not snarky.)

Old 11-03-2018, 04:42 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
General Motors offers these colors for businesses and fleets.
SEO colors. Special order colors. Some no cost extra some with an added fee.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Boring sells.
Most cars are bought right of off dealers lots. While a funky teal metallic might really get one person excited, it will probably turn off 30 other people, so they play it safe and stock the grey and white ones that people find neither exciting nor offensive.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
I just bought a 2019 G80 3.3T Sport in a color called Polar Ice. In fact, I'm flying up to D.C. in a few hours to pick it up and drive it home to Miami because no other closer dealer has one right now (and I like road trips). It's sort of a sparkling pale blue and is simply gorgeous (at least to me). I'm going to link to a YouTube review below of the MY18 car (and the color) below, but pictures don't do it justice. In fact, the reviewer discusses the color starting at about the 1:00 minute mark and says just that. Our other car is a two-seater red convertible (SL500). I've never owned a black or a white car and fail to see the attraction to those colors, although I'm sure that there are some people who think a blue car looks ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXlNcQ3nYQ

Old 11-03-2018, 05:57 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
A guy I used to work with would say,

"I'll never understand how someone will buy a new car and have a whole spectrum of colors to choose from, and they settle for white."

Old 11-03-2018, 06:30 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
There is the safety factor of ;lighter colored cars.
There's a safety factor of brighter cars, not lighter.

A white car (or silver) does not stand out as well against the background as an optic yellow, fuorescent green, or Ferrari red, or even electric blue (even though we've less sensitivity physically to shorter light wavelengths) in day light.

Our eye is much more sensitive to bright colors, and novelty than just bright, since variations of equal RGB frequencies are VERY common, which makes them less noticeable.

Day driving optic yellow or fluorescent green are the most visible, at night white is the most visible, closely followed by optic yellow or fluorescent green. So if you drive only at full dark get white, otherwise get yellow/green if safety is your primary concern.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:37 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
I bought white cars because I used to live where it was pretty hot, so the white, plus tinted windows, kept the cars cooler. Now I wish they were black, because I live in mudville so they’re always dirty.

I had an MG and it was British Racing Green, any other color would have looked silly.

I have seen lots of orange cars lately, no thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive