Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times

Advertisements

I don’t keep my vehicles like i use to, now that I’m retired i lease but the wife still works and she bought her vehicle. She drives the lease since we’re keeping her vehicle it’s a 2016 Kia Sorento with only 18,000 on it. I’ve had over 50 plus cars in my life, growing up in metro Detroit were i use to get cars pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I've purchased 5 new cars since 2012. I missed the muscle car era in the 70s so I'm living it now.

My wife's car is 11 years old, however. It was mine before I turned it over to her in 2010 when our kids were born.

Everyone's different.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very interesting posts . . .

I also treat my vehicles as a "Family Member" with a name and a clean place to sleep. I would no more part with one after a few years than I would part with a pet (dog, cat or otherwise).

Continuous payments (either lease or own) just do not make sense.

My Jeep CJ-7 is a 1986 model and my Chevrolet SSR is a 2005 model. There's not a newer vehicle out there that I would prefer . . . WHY TRADE?
I like to think of my daily driver the way a cowboy thinks of his horse. Not as a pet but as a working partner. Fifteen-plus years and looking forward to many more miles together.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
You do realize that 10 years ago, your car was a new car. That's only 2008 and the cars aren't THAT much different now. So if a new car is crap, then logically that car was crap 10 years ago, and you wouldn't have bought it...
Realize that I own a Crown Victoria P71 and the only thing stopping me from having bought it in 2008 is 1) the price and 2) the fact that 08 is when the vic went fleet only sales and the town car and grand marquis would be the closest thing I could've bought. Both of which I do not like. It has(sans a manual transmission and HID lights and heated seats) pretty much everything a car actually needs. New cars are crap because they are stuffed full of crap that I think is just superfluous, creates lazy and detracts from actual driving. My car is pretty much what I want. V8 RWD sedan, performance potential, great looks, adequate(could use more) power. Cars now are vastly different than ten/fifteen years ago.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I like to think of my daily driver the way a cowboy thinks of his horse. Not as a pet but as a working partner. Fifteen-plus years and looking forward to many more miles together.
Sometimes cars start out as one thing, then become another.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Nobody went to grave wishing they had bought fewer cars. If anything, they wish they had bought MORE cars. Who are you saving it for?
maybe...(I'm a nobody)

Today I have 38 cars + other stuff (trucks, dozers, tractors, and a LOT of motorcycles...)

I will go to my grave wishing I had stopped at 5 cars...

Saving?

Daily driver cost me $35 bucks (whole car)... it's 40 yrs old, still getting 50 mpg on FREE fuel. Saving plenty of money for more toys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive