Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Received a Speeding Ticket?
Yes 209 69.90%
No 90 30.10%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:29 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times

Advertisements

Not a one in 28 years. Not to say I don't go fast. Got pulled over a few times in my life and just got "warnings" because I didn't have any prior tickets. I've been told I must have a horse shoe up my a**! Never been in an accident either. However, every other aspect of my life is crappy, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
My most recent ticket was for 80 in a 65 on the Ohio Turnpike.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Nope. Not a single speeding ticket or accident in my 5 years of driving.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
How do you get these "warnings?" Is it all just luck, or is there some skill to it? I'd kind of like to know.

I got one in a bit over six years of driving, a couple of months ago in downstate Illinois, 82 in a 65 on the interstate. The ticket was only $75 and I don't actually own a car right now (it was a rental), so it wasn't too bad. I just hope I don't wind up having insane insurance rates whenever it is that I wind up having my own car again.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Hmm... if it was only $75, he must have been courteous enough to knock it down to 74 on the ticket.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:50 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
How do you get these "warnings?" Is it all just luck, or is there some skill to it? I'd kind of like to know.

I got one in a bit over six years of driving, a couple of months ago in downstate Illinois, 82 in a 65 on the interstate. The ticket was only $75 and I don't actually own a car right now (it was a rental), so it wasn't too bad. I just hope I don't wind up having insane insurance rates whenever it is that I wind up having my own car again.
I got ONE speed warning my entire driving history so far. Everything else has been a ticket.

I eventually asked an officer I know how they determine it, and heres what he said,

"We're taught to decide if you're going to give a warning or a ticket before you leave the patrol car to the other vehicle, this helps to stop those impulse decisions based on how you experience the other driver".

Im sure if you're a jerk, you're more likely to get a ticket... I'm also young, and so I think the officers tend to give me a ticket because of that, but I'm courteous calm, honest, etc... and no luck.

I've also known quite a few girls who have gotten away with speeding multiple times... sexist cops.

I've had tickets at:
70+ in a 60 (x3)
50 in a 45
80+ in a 60 (Got this one dropped, unable to prove laser device had been calibrated)
Too fast for conditions (collision)
Following too close (collision)

I think thats it. They were all within my first 2 years of getting my license, and I haven't had anything since... like... August of 05? And that was a bumper tap w/o police involvement.

I pay my own insurance, have bought all of my own vehicles and pay my own tickets before anyone asks how much my parents support me.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Many many many of them until I was in my mid 20s. Then I got a lucky streak where I didn't get caught. Now I'm just old and afraid I'll wreck the car I love and worked so hard for!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I got one I couldn't believe.

I was out in Cali driving between LA and San Diego. Heavy traffic, and it was raining. Speed limit was 55. I was doing 60 trying to stay out of everybody's way. They were all driving 70 or better. On come a set of lights. I pulled over and he gave me a verbal warning. For going to slow. Said I was impeding taffic would I push it a little harder. He also said he couldn't pick up all the speeding cars so it was safer just to make the slow ones go faster.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was just curious to see what percentage of my fellow forum members were naughty little leadfoots over the years and managed to score at least one speeding ticket. At age 21 I've racked up two speeding tickets thus far. I was doing 57 in a 45 for the one and 77 in a 55 in another. Please don't tell me I'm alone in being a hardened criminal!
I've had two in my life, with my last one about 9 years ago.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I got one I couldn't believe.

I was out in Cali driving between LA and San Diego. Heavy traffic, and it was raining. Speed limit was 55. I was doing 60 trying to stay out of everybody's way. They were all driving 70 or better. On come a set of lights. I pulled over and he gave me a verbal warning. For going to slow. Said I was impeding taffic would I push it a little harder. He also said he couldn't pick up all the speeding cars so it was safer just to make the slow ones go faster.
Right -- nothing improves the flow of traffic like having a set of flashing police lights on the side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive